Oswalt to Texas - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Oswalt to Texas

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Oswalt to Texas

Postby Millhouse » Tue May 29, 2012 5:03 pm

Sounds done and done. Should join team late June.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/3191/roy-oswalt
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 98)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Oswalt to Texas

Postby holiemacaroni » Tue May 29, 2012 5:23 pm

What do you think about him? Is he worth pick up off WW? What you think he will do for the rest of the season?
holiemacaroni
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue May 29, 2012 5:36 pm

in a deeper league maybe Oswalt can be good. for now maybe just an add and wait to see how he pitches. not only is he now in the AL but also Texas. he's pitched his entire career in the NL. I would be more confident if he went back to the NL especially the Dodgers.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby jfg » Tue May 29, 2012 5:48 pm

The AL switch is a little bit of a concern, but I picked him up in every league. He's only 33, and I don't think health is going to be an issue playing only the last half of the season. I think he'll be better than last year... coming off fresh I'd say he's good for a 3.20 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, somewhere around 7 K's a game, and playing for a team like Texas maybe around 8-9 wins.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby Millhouse » Tue May 29, 2012 5:54 pm

I personally see some nice win totals, higher than usual peripherals and his normal K's (6-ish per game)? If you have him now, might be a good idea to trade him while his perceived value is back up there, he's in the news, and he hasn't fallen victim to one of those 11-9 final scores in the Texas heat. His value will probably never be higher than today -- and let's not forget his injury history and the fact that his once-vital and -effective slider has gotten worse and worse over the past few years -- so if you can package him with someone for an upgrade at a position you need, I'd do it today.
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue May 29, 2012 5:58 pm

jfg wrote:The AL switch is a little bit of a concern, but I picked him up in every league. He's only 33, and I don't think health is going to be an issue playing only the last half of the season. I think he'll be better than last year... coming off fresh I'd say he's good for a 3.20 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, somewhere around 7 K's a game, and playing for a team like Texas maybe around 8-9 wins.

I think that's awfully optimistic.
to start I think you can take what he did for Philadelphia in 2010 and throw that out the window (1.74/0.90). that's not happening.
other than what he did in 2010 with Philadelphia he had these seasons..
2009- 4.12/1.24
2010- 3.42/1.11
2011- 3.69/1.34

I'm thinking 3.50/1.20 at least, and I think I'm being optimistic. that's still good numbers, but I'm guessing he's going to be closer to 4.00 than 3.00.
I guess it depends who and where he pitches. he will get to face both Seattle and Oakland, but then he also has to pitch in Texas.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby jfg » Tue May 29, 2012 6:08 pm

The main thing for me is that he's only playing half a season. I think that's going to allow him to pitch harder and avoid the summer drag. I don't think he's going to pitch like he did in Philly '10 but even pitching in Texas, pitching only half the season is a huge deal.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby BigZ38 » Tue May 29, 2012 6:37 pm

Even if he can rack up Ks and Ws with like a 3.75 ERA and a 1.25 WHIP he's going to be a valuable starter in H2H leagues. I don't think the shift to the AL will be too bad.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Ender » Tue May 29, 2012 6:54 pm

I think he is a matchups play at best to be honest. That division isn't very good at hitting so there will be plenty of favorable matchups though so worth owning.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby jfg » Tue May 29, 2012 7:01 pm

Hmm. Not sure why he's being written off here. He got himself a long rest for his back and only has to pitch for 3 months that are relevant to fantasy owners. It's not like he's coming out of retirement at age 40, he's 33 years old. Unless his back acts up again, I'm fairly confident that he'll be at the very least a solid #3 starter on a fantasy squad and I think he made all the right moves to make sure he can pitch 4 solid months, but again, all we need are 3.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers