Postby einstein2u » Mon May 28, 2012 2:00 am

I might be falling for this guy again.
einstein2u
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Gordon Beckham

Postby HighHeater » Mon May 28, 2012 8:26 pm

ok i have had this pile of poo on my dyno team since his rookie year... if he does break out id crap myself... in saying that he has looked really good the past couple weeks but that does not make a season. AND he's still hitting at the mendoza line or close to it.. i hope he proves me wrong for keeping him all these years. %-6
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon May 28, 2012 8:29 pm

HighHeater wrote:ok i have had this pile of poo on my dyno team since his rookie year... if he does break out id crap myself... in saying that he has looked really good the past couple weeks but that does not make a season. AND he's still hitting at the mendoza line or close to it.. i hope he proves me wrong for keeping him all these years. %-6
His May has been almost equally as good as his April was bad. I was really low on him coming into the season, as even when he's been good, he's never really been that good. However, this last month has certainly been encouraging.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby HighHeater » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:22 pm

what the hell is this kid on and can I bottle it up and give it to the rest of my fantasy team?
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby rjforlife » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:07 am

I'm starting him in my weekly come Monday, so expect a sharp decline, my MI spot has been a death trap for hot hitters this season.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby Tennessee Jed » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:49 am

Apparently he changed his swing back to the one he used in college. He's not doing that little toe-tap.

Before

Now...Leg Kick
Tennessee Jed
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby sebby » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:58 am

Tennessee Jed wrote:Apparently he changed his swing back to the one he used in college. He's not doing that little toe-tap.

Before

Now...Leg Kick

That's all I needed to know. Picking him up in every league I can. The real question is why it took so long for him to do it.
sebby
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:35 am

I'm sure he's tried countless things to improve his results. We only hear about it when it coincides with a hot streak. Key word: coincides. It'll take a lot more than 3 HR in 2 games to show that it actually caused an improvement. He still only has a .703 OPS.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby kab21 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:44 am

His HOT May resulted in a .744 OPS and his biggest problem is that he still isn't walking and expanding the zone. it looks like there has been some improvement and there's really nothing lost by picking him up but I would temper your expectations.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby sebby » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:39 pm

kab21 wrote:His HOT May resulted in a .744 OPS and his biggest problem is that he still isn't walking and expanding the zone. it looks like there has been some improvement and there's really nothing lost by picking him up but I would temper your expectations.

For those of us who have had to live through a Weeks/Zobrist platoon at 2B this year, Beckham seems like the second coming at this point.

He clearly lost his swing after his very good rookie season and he has been experimenting with a few different things in the box ever since. It certainly didn't help that the White Sox were employing the worst hitting coach in the AL over that time frame. I should hope that a return to the mechanics he used in 08/09 would jump-start his bat, because if they don't he really might be a lost cause. As it stands, he's on pace for about 24 home runs and 90 runs. A few more walks would be nice, especially considering who hits behind him, but I will take that kind of production from a waiver wire scrap heap pickup in June.

I think a realistic -- and maybe glass half-full? -- expectation for Beckham's last 100 games would be .255-55-12-45-5. Not great, but good enough. The lack of steals is unfortunate, specifically because he has better than average speed, but he just hasn't figured out that aspect of the game at this level. Too bad considering he looked like might be a 25/25 guy when he was drafted.
sebby
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers