Mets rotation is set, no Grant Roberts or Jae Seo - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mets rotation is set, no Grant Roberts or Jae Seo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mets rotation is set, no Grant Roberts or Jae Seo

Postby Xtreemes » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:02 pm

Just letting everyone know that wfan in new york is reporting that the mets 4th and 5th starters will be tyler yates and scott erickson, with grant roberts going to the bullpen and jae seo going to AAA.
Xtreemes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tlef316 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:27 pm

LOL @ the Mets sending a young, decent arm back to the minors so Scott Erickson can make the rotation :-b

the Mets management is so horrible. even though seo has struggled this spring, you need to keep him over the washed up erickson. the Mets have to know they arent going to compete this year, so why not play the young guys? makes no sense to me. the way things are going, the Mets might even manage to mess up uber-prospect Scott Kazmir's development
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Xtreemes » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:35 pm

Are the mets gonna win this year? no. so the mets might as well let erickson pitch in the rotation a few times so they can try to trade him away, instead of just letting him walk away for nothing. And Seo hasn't done anything to keep his rotation spot anyway, and roberts is still with the team in the bullpen so whats the big deal?
Xtreemes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:35 pm

Well, first off, Sao played well above his head last year. He's a good 5th starter prospect, no more. But he's off this spring. He needs time to figure out what's wrong. You know full well it makes no sense to call up guys that aren't ready to play. It destroys their confidence.

The move makes sense. Get a few miles out of Erickson's arm while their farm system improves. Building through the farm system. It's the way baseball is played.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby tlef316 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:44 pm

Xtreemes wrote:Are the mets gonna win this year? no. so the mets might as well let erickson pitch in the rotation a few times so they can try to trade him away, instead of just letting him walk away for nothing. And Seo hasn't done anything to keep his rotation spot anyway, and roberts is still with the team in the bullpen so whats the big deal?

the mets wont get anything more than a bag of peanuts for erickson. i just think sending seo down hurts his confidence. i dont care if the mets win or not, but i think that a guy like seo would be better off up at shea learning from glavine and leiter than down at norfolk bitching about how he didnt make the club, which is what he is doing from what i heard
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:00 pm

Well if he's down in Norfolk bitching about what went wrong rather than rectifying it, then Shea is the last place Seo needs to be. Seo seems to have a bit of a problem (this is purely speculation on my part) with attitude. I feel like he came in to ST feeling like he was guaranteed a spot and made no effort. Whether or not you're high on Erickson doesn't matter because Peterson obviously feels this is the best way to handle Seo.

BTW there has already been several teams (the Yankees included) who have shown interest in Erickson. He has pitched well this ST. If he takes the #4 or #5 spot, depending on how well Yates pitches, and does well you're smoking the good stuff if you don't think the Mets can get some value out of him.

After the first month of the season you will see the Mets youth rounding out their rotation.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tlef316 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:03 pm

im fairly certain the mets would not have gotten him off the scrap heap if any other teams saw any value in him. if Scott Erickson pitches a game for the yankees this year, i will drive to the stadium and streak across the field while the redsox are in town. the yankees will bring up DePaula or trade for a decent pitcher before they ever put Scott Erickson in pinstripes.

edited to remove my first, somewhat vulgar idea about what i would do if erickson pitches for the yankees
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:20 pm

I doubt he'll pitch for the Yankees either but it was reported in the NY papers that Cashman and several other GMs contacted Erickson's agent in the event the Mets released him. And the Mets weren't the only team to offer Erickson a minor-league contract although they did indeed pick him off the scrap heap.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Zito is God » Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:36 am

Too bad , I loved Seo's potential.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Dude86 » Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:10 am

I like Tyler Yates a lot, he's a hard thrower and should get a good amont of K's if he keeps his spot in the rotation all season. Too bad the kid has to make his MLB debut in that hitters heaven in Puerto Rico.
Dude86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers