Trade Question: Harper & draft pick for Longoria - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trade Question: Harper & draft pick for Longoria

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade Question: Harper & draft pick for Longoria

Postby Lumberjack301 » Fri May 25, 2012 2:08 pm

I have a question about a trade I've been offered.

First some background on the league. I'm in a points league. We can have up to 5 keepers. 3 keepers are "early round keepers" and count against rounds 1-3. Then the other 2 keepers are basically players we can keep at the round they were drafted in. For example, I drafted Chapman in round 24 this year, so he's eligible to be kept next year at round 24.

Anyway, I was offered Harper and a 4th round pick for next year.

for

Longoria.

(a round 4 pick is essentially a first round pick in our league because rounds 1-3 in our league are for the early round keepers...round 4 is when the draft actually starts)

Harper was drafted in round 18 this year, so I'd be able to keep him at round 18 next year, which is obviously a good value. But this leaves me with week early round keepers for next year, which concerns me. On the other hand, Harper might be potential early round keeper material in a year or two, so his cost is only going to go up. I'm also a little concerned about Longoria and the fact that he's been hurt for a significant amount of time each of the last 2 years.

Also, I don't have a high chance of winning my league, but I am still in the hunt and have not been in a sell mode. But if Harper's potential is one of the top OF, I'm considering pulling the trigger on this.

C. Montero
1B. Dunn
2B. Cano
3B. Encarnacion
SS. Rollins
OF. Melky Cabrera
OF. Zobrist
OF. Reddick
OF. LaHair
UTIL. Nava/H. Kendrick/Seager
DL. Berkman
DL. Longoria

SP. G. Gonzalez
SP. Wainright
SP. Shields
SP. Romero
SP. Hellickson
RP. Chapman
RP. Motte
RP. Francisco
BN. Marcum
BN. Thayer
BN. Janssen
DL. Farnsworth
DL. B. Anderson
Lumberjack301
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade Question: Harper & draft pick for Longoria

Postby MaudDib » Fri May 25, 2012 2:48 pm

Do you only get to keep Harper for next year? What happens to Harper after next season, just thrown back into the draft? What type of player is generally available with the first pick of the draft?

At this point, I don't think I would pull the trigger on this deal. I know it is hard when a guy keeps getting hurt but Longoria is still really young and could easily be a top 10 player any year now. If he doesn't get hurt this year, it looked like he was moving into that tier.

Harper while extremely talented, is unlikely to get things going for at least another year or so. Look at where Justin Upton is, who might not have had quite the hype but one who is going to be really good as well but struggled for the first few seasons in the league. So unless you can keep Harper for more than just next, year this is not a deal I would do.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Lumberjack301 » Fri May 25, 2012 2:53 pm

I would be able to keep Harper next year at round 18, the following year at round 9, and the year after that at round 4, and as many years I want after that at round 1.

I can keep Longoria next year at round 1.
Lumberjack301
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby clarkw267 » Fri May 25, 2012 3:03 pm

Give me an example of a guy that went in the 4th round (1st round actually picking) in this years draft.

That's what I would be basing this decision off of.
clarkw267
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 10)

Postby Lumberjack301 » Fri May 25, 2012 3:15 pm

clarkw267 wrote:Give me an example of a guy that went in the 4th round (1st round actually picking) in this years draft.

That's what I would be basing this decision off of.

4th round picks from this year....

Lincecum, Felix, B. Phillips, Hamilton, Sabathia, Hamels, Weaver, Pence, Price, Konerko (which never made sense to me), C. Santana.

So I'd basically be getting an extra player among these kinds of players for next year, and be able to keep Harper at round 18 next year, but would be without Longoria.
Lumberjack301
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby joeyg2323 » Fri May 25, 2012 3:43 pm

Lumberjack301 wrote:I would be able to keep Harper next year at round 18, the following year at round 9, and the year after that at round 4, and as many years I want after that at round 1.

I can keep Longoria next year at round 1.

so you have 3 years of harper that wont cost you a top 3 round keeper? and then you can keep him as long as you want plus your bascially get a 1st round pick next year for longo? i say you have to do this trade! harper is far away from being the superstar we all think he is and hey his shown signs of it this year.
"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 8)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions