Longoria and Scherzer

:-? :-?
pungent
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Zimmerman vs Longoria - WHIR

Postby rjforlife » Wed May 23, 2012 12:49 pm

With Zimmerman's constant injury BS, you really have to look at the trade as Price vs. Longo and Zimm vs. Scherzer.

Longo is allegedly still 3 weeks away, which basically makes up the difference between he and Price in my mind. ZImm vs. Scherzer is an edge to ZImm, as Scherzer is totallly worthless. I know he struck out 15, but you cannot start him with any level of confidence.

I'd reluctantly rather have ZImmerman and Price.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby jonboycubs » Wed May 23, 2012 12:55 pm

I have to go with Zimm and Price here, Price is much better than Max and I just dont like Longoria. I guess it really depends on how good the rest of your pitching is, cause as said above Longoria might be better do to Zimms injury woes. None the less I go the Price side.

help
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=26
"I was taught you never, ever disrespect your opponent or your teammates or your organization or your manager and never, ever your uniform." Ryne Sandberg
jonboycubs
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 1094)

Postby pungent » Wed May 23, 2012 1:03 pm

That's what I think too, but I think Scherzer offers a little more than what people think. The problem for him is can he string together some quality starts...??? He's was a touted prospect so I think he can offer some pleasant upside here. Plus you know he has the ability to ring people up. I'd compare him to James McDonald.
pungent
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rjforlife » Wed May 23, 2012 1:06 pm

pungent wrote:That's what I think too, but I think Scherzer offers a little more than what people think. The problem for him is can he string together some quality starts...??? He's was a touted prospect so I think he can offer some pleasant upside here. Plus you know he has the ability to ring people up. I'd compare him to James McDonald.

He's more like Liriano. Perfect game one day, 8 er the next. It's just not the kind of guy you want on your team, and definitely not someone to pay much for in a trade. Even at his best, he's a guy that offers a 4.00 era and 1.35 whip. Those just arent desirable numbers.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby pungent » Wed May 23, 2012 1:08 pm

jonboycubs wrote:I have to go with Zimm and Price here, Price is much better than Max and I just dont like Longoria. I guess it really depends on how good the rest of your pitching is, cause as said above Longoria might be better do to Zimms injury woes. None the less I go the Price side.

help
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=26

Re-add your link and I'll be glad to help. It brings me to the Draft, Trade....homepage.

Heres the deal. I have plenty of SP to go around esspecially in a 16 team league. I can buy time for Longo by sliding Bautista to 3B and start Heyward, Beltran and Stubbs in OF. See team info below.

And to be honest, I'm getting Morales and not Scherzer, but I shopped Morales around before "striking" a deal for Longo. Do you think I can get a better SP than Max Scherzer??
pungent
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pungent » Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

rjforlife wrote:
pungent wrote:That's what I think too, but I think Scherzer offers a little more than what people think. The problem for him is can he string together some quality starts...??? He's was a touted prospect so I think he can offer some pleasant upside here. Plus you know he has the ability to ring people up. I'd compare him to James McDonald.

He's more like Liriano. Perfect game one day, 8 er the next. It's just not the kind of guy you want on your team, and definitely not someone to pay much for in a trade. Even at his best, he's a guy that offers a 4.00 era and 1.35 whip. Those just arent desirable numbers.

I'd agree with this assumption and I guess I could've been a little more clear on my comparision. I was saying pre-James McDonald 2012. I feel Scherzer can have the same type of development/career.
pungent
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby manmagoonbt » Wed May 23, 2012 4:54 pm

Longoria and Scherzer. Longoria is an MVP canidate and Scherzer strikeout a ton.
manmagoonbt
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby dandedic9 » Wed May 23, 2012 5:01 pm

While I am concerned about Zimmerman's shoulder issues and power outage, Price is way better than Scherzer. I would side with Zimm and Price.
dandedic9
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby pcm4 » Wed May 23, 2012 5:09 pm

Zimm and Price. Even if Zimmerman doesn't return to his elite form the difference between him and Longo (who is no stranger to injury) is smaller than Price and Scherzer. If Zimmerman even regains some of his lost power then that side is vastly superior. I'll take the upside every time.
pcm4
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions