Hellickson for Desmond Jennings? First ever fantasy trade - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Hellickson for Desmond Jennings? First ever fantasy trade

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hellickson for Desmond Jennings? First ever fantasy trade

Postby Caciques » Tue May 22, 2012 11:02 am

I originally proposed Derek Lowe for Desmond Jennings Jennings and this was his counter offer was his Jennings for my Hellickson. It's a 12 team H2H League and with Jennings sitting the rest of the week on the DL I'm likely to not trade Hellickson until the end of this week just to get his second start out of him, but the trade does intrigue me. Hellickson has been everything I could have asked for this year, but Jennings has 5 category potential. Also in my first season of fantasy baseball I'm learning that offense seems to hold more inherent value in fantasy baseball than pitching because pitching can be found on the waiver wire much more easily than someone who can contribute a bit of power and speed. Also, I lose stolen bases every week... EVERY WEEK :,-( . In fact before I picked up Campana I was lucky if I got 2 in a week.

My roster is as follows

C: Lucroy/ Napoli (in the middle of trying to trade one of them)
1B: Hosmer/ Yonder Alonso ( Alsonso is hitting well right now, but he has no power, so really he is just filling in until Hosmer gets it going)
2B: Pedroia
3B: Jose Bautista
SS: Jed Lowrie
IF: Freese
OF: Beltran (Trying to sell high on Beltran), Markakis (Is being offered in another trade), Tony Campana ( This little guy I'm keeping)
Andy Dirks (Saw he was on fire and no one in my league had made a move so I got him, he'll probably fill in if one of my other outfielders gets traded or add him as a throw in piece)
DL Carlos Quentin ( Just holding on to him because he's... I don't even know. I don't expect much from him, but maybe someone will want him hoping he can contribute some HR's

SP: Cole Hamels, Ricky Romero, Jeremy Hellickson, Tommy Milone, Dereck Lowe, Trevor Cahill, AJ Burnett, Matt Harrison, Brett Myers
RP: Kimbrel, Rafael Sroiano, Jim Johnson, Fernando Rodney

The Only other player in his outfield I would want is Stanton, but I'd prefer Jennings anyway and I don't feel like paying whatever rediculous price tag he will ask for Stanton. Any help would be appreciated. WHIR
Caciques
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hellickson for Desmond Jennings? First ever fantasy trad

Postby redkanefox2009 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:10 am

You're exactly right about pitching vs offense. Relying on your pitching is living on a razor's edge, because one or two bad outings can blow up your stats, whereas your offense gets enough at bats to ride out a few bad games. Getting a steady offense gives you a bigger advantage. Pitching is always coming up on the wire, and Hellickson always seems to pitch better than what his sabermetrics would suggest. I'm waiting for that drop off from him, but maybe he keeps it up.

Anwyay, I would take the trade. He'll boost your stat categories once he comes off the DL, and it will give you some options to move Markakis or Beltran.

Help me on mine please? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=447488
redkanefox2009
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby joeyg2323 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:51 am

i dont do this trade....jennings numbers havent been wow and your pitching isnt stacked where losing helickson is really going to hurt you.

h2h leagues pitching is just as important as hitting, just like pitching you can find hitting on the WW all year as well, prospects get brought up, people get hot, etc.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=447490
"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Caciques » Tue May 22, 2012 12:36 pm

So would a counter offer of Dereck Lowe and Brett Myers be better? I have a surplus of closers and I would like to get rid of Myers before the trade talk kicks in and he potentially loses all value by being traded to a contender to pitch the 8th inning.
Caciques
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby joeyg2323 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:47 pm

Caciques wrote:So would a counter offer of Dereck Lowe and Brett Myers be better? I have a surplus of closers and I would like to get rid of Myers before the trade talk kicks in and he potentially loses all value by being traded to a contender to pitch the 8th inning.

yes i would offer burnett/myers so OF help. Burnett still Ks a lot of batters so he has more value then lowe. but i wouldnt give up your 3 best pitcher for a hurt young OF.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=447490
"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 8)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions