Wil Myers Watch - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wil Myers Watch

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Wil Myers Watch

Postby Grounded Polo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:22 pm

Tavish wrote:To make things easy, think of Myers as Butler with 15 SBs. Maybe some day he will be a 30 HR guy in the majors, but more likely he will be in the mid to low 20s with solid numbers across the board.

If we can't predict Myers as a 30 HR hitter, then no one in the minors is capable of doing it on a major league level. If he steals 15 bases to go with 25 homers, that would work.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:44 am

Grounded Polo wrote:
Tavish wrote:To make things easy, think of Myers as Butler with 15 SBs. Maybe some day he will be a 30 HR guy in the majors, but more likely he will be in the mid to low 20s with solid numbers across the board.

If we can't predict Myers as a 30 HR hitter, then no one in the minors is capable of doing it on a major league level. If he steals 15 bases to go with 25 homers, that would work.

The problem is that Myers is going to one of the worst HR parks in baseball. Gordon, Moustakas and Butler all had more raw power than Myers when they came out of the minors. All of them have the possibility to reach that 30 HR plateau at some point in their career, but it is much more realistic to expect them to be in the 20s until they move on from KC.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Skin Blues » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:35 am

I wouldn't worry about the park factors, they change from year year to year, it's not like he's playing in Safeco. This year Kauffman is actually above average both overall and for HR production. Myers has also has a significantly higher HR rate than either Butler or Moustakas did in Omaha, so I think it's fair to expect better power numbers than either of them. He's relatively young but he doesn't have much left to learn in AAA, and Francouer is only getting worse as time goes on. I'm sure he's cleared waivers by now, KC will just have to eat more of the contract than they originally anticipated. I wonder though, if they can't get rid of him, do they keep giving him ABs in September?
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 120)

Postby kab21 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:35 am

Tavish wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:

The problem is that Myers is going to one of the worst HR parks in baseball. Gordon, Moustakas and Butler all had more raw power than Myers when they came out of the minors. All of them have the possibility to reach that 30 HR plateau at some point in their career, but it is much more realistic to expect them to be in the 20s until they move on from KC.

I think the more logical argument is that it's difficult to project anyone as a 30 HR hitter. Myers definitely could do it but I've always regarded him as a player that would be a very good all around hitter and not swing for the fences. He'll get his HR's and I hope it's 30+ but I'm really hoping for him to develop into that .285+ BA and .375+ OBP hitter with 20-25 HR's.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby ayebatter » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:46 am

So you're thinking Shin-Soo Choo.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1358)

Postby kab21 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:51 am

ayebatter wrote:So you're thinking Shin-Soo Choo.

With Matt Holliday upside.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby Tavish » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:47 pm

Skin Blues wrote:I wouldn't worry about the park factors, they change from year year to year, it's not like he's playing in Safeco. This year Kauffman is actually above average both overall and for HR production.

Sort of like how Safeco was above average in HR last year? Year-to-year park factors don't mean much but luckily we aren't limited to looking at just a single season. Over the past 5 seasons, Kauffman Stadium has consistently been a below to well-below average park for HR hitters. When we are splitting hairs over a small number like whether Myers is a 30 HR type hitter or a 25 type HR hitter then the historical environment he will be playing the majority of his games in is certainly something to consider.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers