Wil Myers Watch - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wil Myers Watch

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Wil Myers Watch

Postby AHF » Mon May 21, 2012 9:40 am

Since his promotion to AAA, I have been trying to track him a little more closely and seem to be reading a wide range of opinions on him from "he will be in an instant offensive star" to "he is too undisciplined and is going to struggle when he gets the call." Since this is the most educated group of baseball posters I know anywhere and given the large numbers of tapped in Royals fans, I am very curious to get people's views. I would love to catch lightning in a bottle like everyone else and would appreciate any thoughts as well as thoughts about his standing compared to the other elite minor league prospects like Arenado, Rizzo, etc.
AHF
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 232
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 20 Feb 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Wil Myers Watch

Postby kab21 » Mon May 21, 2012 10:17 am

He's not ready this year imo. and there really aren't any elite hitting prospects ready to be called up since Trout and Harper are already up.

It's puzzling that the knock on Myers before the season was that he didn't show enough power to go with his excellent plate discipline. This season has been the complete opposite. He does look like he has near elite potential though but I think it will take a few seasons to realize it.

I'll be honest I don't think I'll waste a roster spot waiting for a hitting prospect this year. Maybe a guy like Bauer but the hitter crop is pretty mediocre (2012 stats) imo.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5340
(Past Year: 162)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Wil Myers Watch

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon May 21, 2012 11:46 am

He's should be added in all leagues when he gets the call but I'm hoping it's not until September and that's as a guy who owns him in a keeper league. Obviously, the power is amazing and why he's worth the add but he needs to get his numbers more in line with 2010 when the K/BB ratio was more even and he didn't average at least 1 strikeout every game. I suppose it's hard to blame him for striking out a ton when if he made contact, it was getting crushed. If Double A was coming that easy to him as a power hitter, it's not that surprising he wasn't as focused on working counts, drawing walks, etc. I'm hoping he struggles a bit in Triple A and picks up the plate discipline so he can produce in September.

I'd put Myers above Arenado, he's a few months older and they played in the same league and Myers completely wrecked it. Arenado has picked it up power wise recently and has the clearest path to the bigs plus a great ballpark, still needs to show more. I'd put Rizzo above either for 2012 because he's a full year older than Myers and has dominated the PCL league as expected, probably the best bet to produce since it's easier to bet on older prospects stepping in and producing versus the younger ones.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6584
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 11 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Wil Myers Watch

Postby Tavish » Mon May 21, 2012 12:34 pm

He is going to have to "go Hosmer" on AAA pitching to have any shot of making the jump earlier than September. The interesting part with Myers is that they have been playing him everywhere in order to try and get him ABs (RF, CF, 3B, and DH). 3B is obviously blocked at the ML level but he could make an interesting platoon guy to give Moose time off against tough lefties and letting Francouer and Cain/Dyson get some days off.
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11071
(Past Year: 25)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Wil Myers Watch

Postby RedHopeful » Mon May 21, 2012 2:13 pm

Tavish wrote:He is going to have to "go Hosmer" on AAA pitching to have any shot of making the jump earlier than September. The interesting part with Myers is that they have been playing him everywhere in order to try and get him ABs (RF, CF, 3B, and DH). 3B is obviously blocked at the ML level but he could make an interesting platoon guy to give Moose time off against tough lefties and letting Francouer and Cain/Dyson get some days off.

Hmm, I get that he's learning a bunch of positions but wouldn't the Royals be idiots to promote a top prospect only to then jerk him around the diamond? Considering all the talk in recent years on how position switches could have an effect on youngsters at the plate, I'm hopefully the Royals don't go this route.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3275
(Past Year: 84)
Joined: 11 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Hank Aaron's backyard

Re: Wil Myers Watch

Postby Norby » Mon May 21, 2012 3:50 pm

RedHopeful wrote:
Tavish wrote:He is going to have to "go Hosmer" on AAA pitching to have any shot of making the jump earlier than September. The interesting part with Myers is that they have been playing him everywhere in order to try and get him ABs (RF, CF, 3B, and DH). 3B is obviously blocked at the ML level but he could make an interesting platoon guy to give Moose time off against tough lefties and letting Francouer and Cain/Dyson get some days off.

Hmm, I get that he's learning a bunch of positions but wouldn't the Royals be idiots to promote a top prospect only to then jerk him around the diamond? Considering all the talk in recent years on how position switches could have an effect on youngsters at the plate, I'm hopefully the Royals don't go this route.


I really can't see them playing him anywhere else but OF or DH if he comes up this year. They eventually want him to take over for Francoeur in RF, correct?
Norby
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 69
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 2 Jul 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Wil Myers Watch

Postby Tavish » Mon May 21, 2012 4:22 pm

Norby wrote:I really can't see them playing him anywhere else but OF or DH if he comes up this year. They eventually want him to take over for Francoeur in RF, correct?

That's the eventual plan, but I think more than anything they are looking for a way to get his bat in the lineup as often as possible. If he can fill a M.Young/Zobrist type of role then more power to him and the Royals. He certainly is athletic enough at this point to be able to handle more than just RF.
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11071
(Past Year: 25)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Wil Myers Watch

Postby BChinly » Mon May 21, 2012 6:00 pm

I've been following him all this year and I feel like his plate discipline is getting a little better. At fist he has about 28Ks with less than 10 walks but it's steadily rising. It could be possible he wanted to prove he had power at the beginning of the season after his 2010 injury plagued season that left him with only 8HRs. I have to say I'm turning into a Royals fan after the Giants since in my 20 team dynasty league I now have Hosmer, Moose, Frenchy, Myers, and Starling.

Edit: he also walked 3 times while striking out once in yesterday's double header, although he did go hitless in both games
BChinly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 457
(Past Year: 116)
Joined: 20 Feb 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Wil Myers Watch

Postby BChinly » Fri May 25, 2012 4:26 pm

Back to back home runs!
BChinly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 457
(Past Year: 116)
Joined: 20 Feb 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Wil Myers Watch

Postby kab21 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:53 am

He hit his 3rd HR in the last 4 games today.

Law put him #6 on his updated top 25 (pitching dominated). And he's probably be the top hitting prospect (offensively) in the minors but I still don't think he'll be up before Sept (maybe Aug).
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 5340
(Past Year: 162)
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact