Dontrelle Willis - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dontrelle Willis

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bleach168 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:47 pm

People make too much of a big deal out of the numbers. Some look at his total stats and conclude that he's a stud. Others look at his second half performance and conclude he's a dud.

The best way to analyze Willis is to watch him yourself. How's his fastball? How's his breaking ball? Does he have a good command of his pitches? Does he have a strong mound presence? Any other intangibles?

Personally, I don't think his fastball is that great - low 90's if I recall. He does have that funky delivery but that only takes you so far. I do like his mound presence though. Overall, I think he'll be fine to own as your 4th starter but he won't be anything spectacular during his career.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Hyde » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:06 pm

If Dontrelle develops a third pitch that he can consistantly get over the plate on any count then he will be very good. He's pretty good right now, once he gets that 3rd pitch he could be great.
When you are born you are given a ticket to the freak show, I say enjoy the show. - George Carlin
Hyde
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:09 pm

Something people forget about Carl Everett - because he's just so freaking nuts - is that he is very injury prone. And he'll be traveling a lot this year and will be playing a lot of games on turf. He's a near lock to spend some time on the DL this year. Grab Willis and don't look back.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby NZF » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:26 pm

I'm not convinced about him but I will reserve total judgement until season end.

With that funky action he is a difficult proposition when hitters see him for the first time so it will be interesting to see if that is a factor when hitters get more familiar with it during his second year.

Hope he proves to be the business because he seems like a great kid with a real mature head on his shoulders.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Floridaguy » Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:26 pm

I don't like Willis much. The stories in Florida say that PAvano and Penny are supereior--nuff said.

Worth Everett--I don't think so
Floridaguy

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers