Stuck in 6th Place (OPS League) WHIR WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Stuck in 6th Place (OPS League) WHIR WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Stuck in 6th Place (OPS League) WHIR WHIR

Postby EdKoch » Sun May 20, 2012 10:38 pm

My league is a Yahoo 12 team league 5X5, with OPS replacing AVG. I am stuck in 6th place. Please offer your opinions on my team.

My offense is getting worse (LaHair and Altuve), my outfield contains too many K-kings (Maybin, Stubbs), and I am a proud owner of Mark Teixeira. My pitching is better, although I expect Brett Myers to get traded. SS has been a weakness for me (Alexei Ramirez stinks). And I punted 2B in my draft.

C: Brian McCann
1B: Bryan LaHair
2B: Jose Altuve
3B: Miguel Cabrera
SS: Elliot Johnson
OF: Drew Stubbs
OF: Jay Bruce
OF: Cameron Maybin
DH: Chris Young
DH: Mark Teixeira
BN: Andy Dirks
DL: Brett Gardner

SP: David Price
SP: Cole Hamels
SP: Zach Greinke
RP: Brett Myers
RP: Kenley Jensen
P: Ernesto Frieri
P: Vinnie Pestano
P: Josh Beckett
P: Max Scherzer
BN: John Danks
BN: Jeff Samardzjia
BN: Chris Sale

I THINK I SHOULD TRADE A TOP PITCHER. But I don't know what the best idea moving forward is.

I don't think the waiver wire can help me. The wire is bare and I don't see any of the following being better long term than what I have now: Cody Ross, Angel Pagan, Ian Desmond, Luke Scott, Carlos Lee, Mark Reynolds, Alex Rios, Justin Morneau, Pedro Strop, Ryan Cook, Tommy Milone, Scott Downs...
EdKoch
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Stuck in 6th Place (OPS League) WHIR WHIR

Postby mkaizoji » Sun May 20, 2012 11:16 pm

Your batting needs help; its not the fact that you have too make K-kings since strike outs are not a category its that you have Altuve, E Johnson, and Stubbs starting. I would try to trade one of your SP like Price maybe since he is doing the best out of all your top tier SP. Id try and couple Price and Altuve (try and get some value from him now since he does have good stats) and trade for a better 2nd baseman.
mkaizoji
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby coyotesjr97 » Mon May 21, 2012 2:04 pm

Sorry for the delay in my response. Thanks for the help on mine!

I see the reason for keeping Frieri as his K-rate is pretty good and there is a chance he becomes the closer at some point if Downs falters. That said...Downs isn't an overwhelming strikeout pitcher, but has been an excellent set-up man for years. As of last I read Sciosci is sticking with Downs for the time being so if you need saves...Downs is a viable pickup. I'm actually surprised with all the turmoil going on at closer that Downs isn't owned in a 12-team. I think I would drop Pestano for him since your league does not count Holds. Pestano also has Perez pitching ahead of him on the depth charts.

As for the rest of the waivers..I personally like Pagan a little better than Maybin and think he would be an upgrade. I also don't think many would scramble to grab him if you dropped him so you would have time to reconsider if you changed your mind. Ross is worth a consideration as well, but mainly as a platoon. Seems to love hitting at Fenway.

Beyond that...I think you will have to look for trades. Price is going to get you the most value in return and you have enough pitching depth that it wouldn't hurt you too badly. You could also try packaging one of your other starting pitchers and either Altuve or LaHair. Honestly I think you should try to sell high on these two while you can.
coyotesjr97
College Coach
College Coach

Postby joeyg2323 » Tue May 22, 2012 2:22 pm

i would replace dirks and johnson with desmond and c.lee

i would also try and trade either hamels or price for a top 15 OF.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=447505
"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 8)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team