Dee Gordon - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dee Gordon

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Dee Gordon

Postby kab21 » Sun May 20, 2012 10:38 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:Dee Gordon should end up being a good 3 category player from here on out. He's in a nasty slump, and he doesn't belong in anyone's starting lineup until he starts getting on base. But if you can afford to keep him on your bench, then I definitely would do that.

Gordon likely won't be a good 3 category player. I don't think he hits the ball hard enough to post a decent avg and he doesn't walk. His ideal spot is 8th in the order. I think he'll end up hitting .270-.280 in the majors and he doesn't walk so that likely means a low .300's OBP and SLG. The only reason to own him is 60 SB's which is pretty valuable but he'll merely be OK in 2 categories and dreadfully awful in 2 categories.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 517)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Mon May 21, 2012 12:06 am

There is really no excuse for him to not hit at least 0.280. They've been giving him a mental break and have been giving him some extra at bats off of the tee. He's been lunging at the ball and it will get fixed. As for the defense, he hasn't been great, but has the tools to be an outstanding defensive player
I dunno about that he is a .230 hitter with a ton of speed that will turn his skillset into maybe a .260 hitter, I can't see any reason to think he should hit .280 though, that is the upper bounds if he gets lucky.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon May 21, 2012 9:39 am

Ender wrote:
There is really no excuse for him to not hit at least 0.280. They've been giving him a mental break and have been giving him some extra at bats off of the tee. He's been lunging at the ball and it will get fixed. As for the defense, he hasn't been great, but has the tools to be an outstanding defensive player
I dunno about that he is a .230 hitter with a ton of speed that will turn his skillset into maybe a .260 hitter, I can't see any reason to think he should hit .280 though, that is the upper bounds if he gets lucky.
This. I don't know why so many people are shocked over this, when there was a pretty solid group of individuals standing hard in the pre-season, on the notion that Gordon can't hit. He can't. The only ones shocked by this are those who were blinded by his .300 AVG last year and expected him to continue it without rhyme or reason. Dude is nothing but empty steals.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 813)

Postby ayebatter » Mon May 21, 2012 10:22 am

He'd be better off bunting every at bat, and if he put a Furcal like slap shot over third in his arsenal he'd be a blast to watch. ;-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1598)

Postby MaudDib » Mon May 21, 2012 10:55 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Ender wrote:
This. I don't know why so many people are shocked over this, when there was a pretty solid group of individuals standing hard in the pre-season, on the notion that Gordon can't hit. He can't. The only ones shocked by this are those who were blinded by his .300 AVG last year and expected him to continue it without rhyme or reason. Dude is nothing but empty steals.

Agreed. He gives you nothing but SB. And even that he isn't doing right now. He has 2 SB in the last month (since 4/25). If the guy hits above .260 this year I will be impressed. I have seen nothing from him that makes me think he can do anything better than that.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 466)

Postby Skin Blues » Mon May 21, 2012 11:37 am

Yeah I'm pretty sure I said the same thing at the start of the season... he can't hit or field and will be hard-pressed to stay in the lineup. If he actually keeps his job then he'll provide a ton of value with 60+ SBs and a lot of runs, but the issue is he can't keep his spot in the lineup. A move to the 8 spot also cuts into his steals total significantly, not only because of one less AB per game, but also they'll not want him to run as much with the pitcher at bat since the reward is lower (pitcher likely won't hit him in) but the risk remains the same. There's not much to do about it at this point because his value is pretty low, so just plug him in and hope for the best.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 526)

Postby diewitsjames » Tue May 22, 2012 6:27 pm

dee gordon demoted to the 8th spot of the hitting order, time to move on?
diewitsjames
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 37)

Postby Element » Tue May 22, 2012 6:47 pm

MaudDib wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
Ender wrote: I dunno about that he is a .230 hitter with a ton of speed that will turn his skillset into maybe a .260 hitter, I can't see any reason to think he should hit .280 though, that is the upper bounds if he gets lucky.

Agreed. He gives you nothing but SB. And even that he isn't doing right now. He has 2 SB in the last month (since 4/25). If the guy hits above .260 this year I will be impressed. I have seen nothing from him that makes me think he can do anything better than that.

Gordon's problem is that he's striking out too much. He's also hitting more balls in the air than usual. He looks absolutely clueless at the plate. When you have someone with this type of speed, you can luck your way to a 0.280 average as long as you make contact at least 85% of the time & keep the ball out of the air. He needs to go back to AAA and work on the mental. Hairston is supposed to be activated today or tomorrow. I'm hoping that when that happens it means Dee gets demoted. I would definitely give up on him in leagues where someone may have been impatient with someone like Aybar.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 968)

Postby benb18a » Tue May 22, 2012 10:56 pm

diewitsjames wrote:dee gordon demoted to the 8th spot of the hitting order, time to move on?

Yes, not hitting in front of Kemp/Ethier anymore = no value
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Oatsdad » Sat May 26, 2012 8:37 pm

A few weeks ago I got offered Wainwright and Kanley Jensen for Gordon. Took that offer so fast my computer's still spinning.

I kinda think I got the better of that trade! :-D
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers