Dee Gordon - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dee Gordon

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dee Gordon

Postby juliown1028 » Sat May 19, 2012 11:46 pm

What are all you other Dee Gordon owners doing with him?

I'm trying to figure out if he's actually worth holding onto or if I should go another route and pickup a guy like Alcides Escobar...I knew he wouldn't hit .300 this season but I was at least hoping around .270, but the fact is he can't get on base to prove his worth with his SBs, and now he's being benched 1-2 times a week. My patience is being tested...
"Chuck Norris has been known to throw a baseball 100 mph. I've been known to throw Chuck Norris 100 mph." - Brian Wilson
juliown1028
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dee Gordon

Postby Izenhart » Sun May 20, 2012 1:09 am

juliown1028 wrote:What are all you other Dee Gordon owners doing with him?

I'm trying to figure out if he's actually worth holding onto or if I should go another route and pickup a guy like Alcides Escobar...I knew he wouldn't hit .300 this season but I was at least hoping around .270, but the fact is he can't get on base to prove his worth with his SBs, and now he's being benched 1-2 times a week. My patience is being tested...

I've cut him on every team I had him. My trigger finger is a bit itchier thsi season, I think normally I'd still be sitting on him, but I've decided to trust my eyes and do a little more scouting and make decisions based on that. So far I'm not regretting dropping him, but steals are coming easy for me this year.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 286)

Postby BigZ38 » Sun May 20, 2012 3:18 am

I drafted him in a league this year and traded him ASAP. Especially considering the league I traded him in counts OPS. The dude would have killed me in every almost category except stolen bases.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby kab21 » Sun May 20, 2012 5:06 am

I would make the swap to Alcides. gordon can steal about twice as many bases as Alcides but I don't think Gordon can hit and he might start losing playing time.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 162)

Postby Ender » Sun May 20, 2012 9:31 pm

I took a good bit of crap for suggesting he might not make it through a full season in the majors so this doesn't come as a big surprise to me. From the sounds of the other posts in this thread he might be a good buy low though, he is a bad baseball player, bad defensively and doesn't have enough SLG or OBP but he should hit for a higher AVG than this and if he keeps a starting job he certainly has some value. I might put him on the bench but it is too early to just drop him.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Element » Sun May 20, 2012 10:10 pm

Ender wrote:I took a good bit of crap for suggesting he might not make it through a full season in the majors so this doesn't come as a big surprise to me. From the sounds of the other posts in this thread he might be a good buy low though, he is a bad baseball player, bad defensively and doesn't have enough SLG or OBP but he should hit for a higher AVG than this and if he keeps a starting job he certainly has some value. I might put him on the bench but it is too early to just drop him.

There is really no excuse for him to not hit at least 0.280. They've been giving him a mental break and have been giving him some extra at bats off of the tee. He's been lunging at the ball and it will get fixed. As for the defense, he hasn't been great, but has the tools to be an outstanding defensive player. With Dee, it's actually a case where is incredible range works against him. He gets to balls that most short stops wouldn't dream of getting to. He'll botch it or make a bad throw. GREAT arm and excellent range .... I'm not worried. He'll be above average with reps.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 685)

Dee Gordon

Postby NikkiSixx » Sun May 20, 2012 10:18 pm

Dee Gordon should end up being a good 3 category player from here on out. He's in a nasty slump, and he doesn't belong in anyone's starting lineup until he starts getting on base. But if you can afford to keep him on your bench, then I definitely would do that.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 432)

Postby juliown1028 » Sun May 20, 2012 10:18 pm

This is frustrating...he's sat the past 2 games, and 3 of the past 6...

Sellers isn't exactly doing any better than him though...but even if he does get playing time I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the 7th or 8th spot with Gwynn doing so much better than him. How many SBs could we expect if he's all the way down there in the lineup? Ugh :-?
"Chuck Norris has been known to throw a baseball 100 mph. I've been known to throw Chuck Norris 100 mph." - Brian Wilson
juliown1028
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Element » Sun May 20, 2012 10:24 pm

Sellers actually hit a homer last night and is 1-3 so far this evening. Solid defense too. But he is best served as a UI. Gritty kid.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 685)

Postby juliown1028 » Sun May 20, 2012 10:27 pm

Element wrote:Sellers actually hit a homer last night and is 1-3 so far this evening. Solid defense too. But he is best served as a UI. Gritty kid.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention his horrible defense...another argument against Gordon being an everyday starter. I'm gonna give him a week or two and then make my final decision on his fate.
juliown1028
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers