Owners made unfair trade by mistake - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Owners made unfair trade by mistake

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Owners made unfair trade by mistake

Postby Goatrider » Sat May 19, 2012 6:44 pm

Kind of a tough one. Manager 1 traded Matt Cain ($23-first year) and Craig Kimbrel ($25-first year) to Manager 2 for Brandon Beachy ($3-second year) and Andrew Cashner ($1-first year). The problem is Manager 1 is an experienced player but new to the league. He is trading for keepers, but got the rules of two leagues mixed up. He proposed the trade thinking Beachy was eligible for a long-term contracts. In this league, Beachy goes back to auction after this season basically making him a rental on a firesaling team. Matters worse, Manager 2 is in first place and this trade basically ends competitiveness (which is fine if the trade wasn't based on a mistake).

There are 2 options according to the Constitution:

1) Teams are allowed to mutual rescind trades, which we hope Manager 2 will agree to.
2) If that does not happen, Veto Vote is the only option. Our veto rule is broad. Basically says for good of the league and needs 75% of owners. Five out of eleven owners have already complained. This includes the new guy, who is a good owner and we don't want to screw him (or let him screw himself) and have him not return.

Would you allow it to be vetoed?

WHIR for sure with link! Thanks!
Goatrider
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 40)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Owners made unfair trade by mistake

Postby Goatrider » Sat May 19, 2012 6:45 pm

Oh, and we have never had a veto before. Very Lassaiz Faire league.
Goatrider
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Izenhart » Sun May 20, 2012 4:07 am

Goatrider wrote:Oh, and we have never had a veto before. Very Lassaiz Faire league.

Guy made a mistake he needs to live with it if the other owner doesn't agree to trade it back. If I were the receiver of the good players I would keep them, even if I believed it to be a mistake. If the trade really is unfair, the league should have vetoed it in the first place. It's their mistake now if they didn't. Anyone who is up in arms over this needs to accept this is how fantasy works and there is nothing you can do as a commish but to stick to the rules which are already set.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 301)

Postby bigmck » Sun May 20, 2012 6:48 am

The trade stays as far as I am concerned. Just because one guys got his rules mixed up is not the other guys problem.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby converge241 » Sun May 20, 2012 10:29 pm

Guy 1 should talk with Guy 2 about rescinding as far as that aspect is concerned just them 2. Sounds like the horse may be out of the barn a little here and folks might be aware of it going to veto. While normally Id want those 2 things to play out seperately and in that order, it might help the situation here if the other guy decides to walk away from it knowing a veto is building up steam?
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 102)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Thu May 24, 2012 1:42 am

An unfortunate situation for sure. It sounds like you as the commish may have a practical political angle you can work. Sounds like you could realistically go to guy 2 and say, "Look. Guy 1 screwed up. He is new, and it was an innocent mistake. On one hand, it was his mistake, and that isn't your problem. But on the other hand, it was *really* disruptive to balance. Lots of owners are upset, and if it goes to veto it will probably get overturned. So you could do the good guy thing and agree to revert the trade, or take your chances on the veto if it comes to that. If you do the good guy thing, I'd think it would get you good karma with other owners going forward." In a pretty relaxed, laissez faire league, he might make your life easy, concede the point, and agree to just back it out.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 67)

Postby Goatrider » Thu May 24, 2012 11:48 am

Thanks guys. That was a tricky one. Sports Genie: That is exactly what I did to the letter and it worked out. The other manager rescinded to a very happy league appluading him for good sportsmanship. And our non-veto streak continues :)
Goatrider
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigmck » Thu May 24, 2012 5:02 pm

Goatrider wrote:Thanks guys. That was a tricky one. Sports Genie: That is exactly what I did to the letter and it worked out. The other manager rescinded to a very happy league appluading him for good sportsmanship. And our non-veto streak continues :)

I ran a league for 20 years that never had a veto. I just don't understand these leagues that have a veto on every trade.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Sat May 26, 2012 1:43 pm

Izenhart wrote:
Goatrider wrote:Oh, and we have never had a veto before. Very Lassaiz Faire league.

Guy made a mistake he needs to live with it if the other owner doesn't agree to trade it back. If I were the receiver of the good players I would keep them, even if I believed it to be a mistake. If the trade really is unfair, the league should have vetoed it in the first place. It's their mistake now if they didn't. Anyone who is up in arms over this needs to accept this is how fantasy works and there is nothing you can do as a commish but to stick to the rules which are already set.

I disagree completely. If the guy realized it immediately, and asked to cancel I would have no problem.

In this case the player values didnt change after trade, like with an injury/trade. If you want a long running league to be friendly/continuous you need to make sure no one gets cheated, and in this case I think an override is fair.

That said, in my leagues the other manager would get guilted/harassed into cancelling.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Commissioner's Corner