Accepted a dumb trade, but have another offer (WHIR) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Accepted a dumb trade, but have another offer (WHIR)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Accepted a dumb trade, but have another offer (WHIR)

Postby nyr199435 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:06 am

Batters:
1B: 1 point
2B: 2
3B: 3
HR: 4
RBI: 1
SB: 2
CS: -2
BB: 1
IBB: 1
K: -1
GDIP: -4
CYC: 4
SLAM: 5

Pitchers:
IP: 1
W: 7
L: -7
CG: 4.5
SHO: 9
SV: 7
ER: -1
BB: -1
IBB: -1
K: 0.5
HLD: 4
NH: 18
PG: 27
QS: 3.5
BSV: -7

I needed pitching, and I have Posey/Tex/Lahair all capable of playing 1B, so the trade I just accepted was:
Giving: Freddie Freeman
Getting: Josh Johnson

Strikes me as a definite overpayment, and probably a mistake, but if Johnson's healthy he's got ace-level stuff, and at 3-4 on the season and on my way to another loss, it's time to start rolling the dice.

Now, the other offer on the table is:
I give: Nelson Cruz, Buster Posey
I get: Jered Weaver

I'm wondering if I should take this one too, with Chris Young coming back and me having Jesus Montero to fill in at C. What say you?

Team/league info here:

12 teams
H2H Points
1 year

C: Buster Posey
1B: Mark Teixeira
2B: Robinson Cano
3B: David Wright
SS: Starlin Castro
OF: Bryan LaHair
OF: Bryce Harper
OF: Nelson Cruz
Util: Freddie Freeman
BN: Dee Gordon, Corey Hart, Mike Trout, Jesus Montero
DL: Chris Young, Yoenis Cespedes

SP: Justin Verlander, Matt Moore, Adam Wainwright, Johan Santana, Mike Minor, Jarrod Parker, Christian Friedrich
RP: Henry Rodriguez, Jonathan Broxton, Addison Reed, Brian Fuentes
DL: Vance Worley
nyr199435
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Accepted a dumb trade, but have another offer (WHIR)

Postby mrbohjangles » Fri May 18, 2012 11:14 am

I think Freeman is a bit of an overpay too, but its not too bad of a trade. You probably could have gotten more for him. Or maybe got him for LaHair instead, but that's water under the bridge.

For this Weaver trade I say don't do it. I think LaHair might drop off, and Harper isn't going to contribute as much as you expect him to. Montero isn't half of what Posey is at this point. If this is my team I stay put and hope for the best. Hitting is always more valuable than pitching.

viewtopic.php?t=447224
mrbohjangles
College Coach
College Coach

Postby joeyg2323 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:25 am

im sorry but the freeman trade is horrible! A guy that is coming off a great rookie year starts off the first month and a half starts the way he is you dont trade especially for a guy with a bum shoulder.

you would have been better off moving tex and lahair then freeman.

and i dont think i give up cruz and posey for weaver.
"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 8)

Postby MoonCorps » Fri May 18, 2012 12:39 pm

I agree that LaHair and Harper probably won't keep performing the way they are now, so I wouldn't give up an OF and a pitcher for just a pitcher.

Help? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=447189
MoonCorps
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MadDog36 » Fri May 18, 2012 12:48 pm

Actually that Cruz and Posey trade isn't so bad. Montero is having a great year despite what these people say.

I don't see a huge drop from Posey to Montero more of a push if you ask me.

Freeman trade = horrid :-t
Weaver is a beast. ;-D
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1961)

Postby nyr199435 » Fri May 18, 2012 1:34 pm

I should clarify the thinking on the Freeman trade. First off, I don't really need him with Tex at 1B and a bunch of other guys that could play the Util slot. I have too many bench batters. Second, I offered him to 5 different teams, and everybody wants to stand pat for now. The only other pitcher worth a damn that the guy who has Johnson has is CC, and he said he's untouchable. I believe Johnson has ace-level stuff when he's healthy.

So for me, what it boiled down to was:
1) Freeman, while a great hitter, is an excess player on my roster.
2) Nobody else was taking him.
3) The guy that needed a 1B really didn't have much else pitching-wise to offer.
4) I need pitching help with Wainwright, Moore, and Minor all struggling mightily.

It's a complete and utter gamble, and I'm giving up one of my best hitters for a guy who's a perpetual injury risk. That's why I acknowledged that it's a dumb trade. But given the circumstances, I think it suits my needs better than anything else I'd be able to pull off.
nyr199435
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pungent » Fri May 18, 2012 1:57 pm

nyr199435 wrote:I should clarify the thinking on the Freeman trade. First off, I don't really need him with Tex at 1B and a bunch of other guys that could play the Util slot. I have too many bench batters. Second, I offered him to 5 different teams, and everybody wants to stand pat for now. The only other pitcher worth a damn that the guy who has Johnson has is CC, and he said he's untouchable. I believe Johnson has ace-level stuff when he's healthy.

3) The guy that needed a 1B really didn't have much else pitching-wise to offer.
4) I need pitching help with Wainwright, Moore, and Minor all struggling mightily.

It's a complete and utter gamble, and I'm giving up one of my best hitters for a guy who's a perpetual injury risk. That's why I acknowledged that it's a dumb trade. But given the circumstances, I think it suits my needs better than anything else I'd be able to pull off.

No need to explain yourself here. It just does seem like an overpay IMO, but if that is what the market is for Freeman in your league, then so be it. I personally would've liked to see you move LaHair for him. Tex keep, he's a slow starter anyways, nothing to worry there.

I like the 2nd trade!
pungent
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby joeyg2323 » Fri May 18, 2012 2:09 pm

nyr199435 wrote:I should clarify the thinking on the Freeman trade. First off, I don't really need him with Tex at 1B and a bunch of other guys that could play the Util slot. I have too many bench batters. Second, I offered him to 5 different teams, and everybody wants to stand pat for now. The only other pitcher worth a damn that the guy who has Johnson has is CC, and he said he's untouchable. I believe Johnson has ace-level stuff when he's healthy.

im just saying you could have gotten more for tex because of his name and more for lahair because his really hot right now and kept freeman who will finish above both in offenseive numbers.
"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 8)

Postby nyr199435 » Fri May 18, 2012 3:56 pm

pungent wrote:

No need to explain yourself here. It just does seem like an overpay IMO, but if that is what the market is for Freeman in your league, then so be it. I personally would've liked to see you move LaHair for him. Tex keep, he's a slow starter anyways, nothing to worry there.

I like the 2nd trade!

Yeah, I tried the LaHair thing, and he countered for Freeman saying, "LaHair was an FA last week until you added him...if I wanted him, why wouldn't I have just added him instead of trading my second best pitcher for him?"
nyr199435
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ATLbraves » Fri May 18, 2012 4:08 pm

I like the 2nd trade for your team. It's very hard to trade for a proven Ace, and sometimes you even have to overpay for them. But this is definitely a good trade for you since you are giving up an injury prone OF'er and a catcher that doesnt have much use in your roster since you have Montero.

Good trade.

help with mine please:
viewtopic.php?f=94&t=447255

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions