Ethics in fantasy sports do exist - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Ethics in fantasy sports do exist

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ethics in fantasy sports do exist

Postby Xander756 » Thu May 17, 2012 3:37 pm

Wanted to share this article with you guys. What do you think of it?

It is a common misconception that there are no ethics involved when participating in a fantasy sports league. This couldn't be further from the truth. Fantasy sports are supposed to be fun, not no-holds barred chaos. Most people tend to play in fantasy leagues with their friends so it doesn't become an issue since you know the people you are playing against.

When you are playing against strangers in a public league, or when joining a friend’s league who invited other friends you don't know, there is the possibility that some people will use shifty tactics in order to try to win. Although most people play fantasy sports for the fun of it, others use it as an ego boost and would do anything to win. Here are three devious strategies to watch out for:

http://www.examiner.com/article/ethics-fantasy-sports-do-exist
Xander756
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ethics in fantasy sports do exist

Postby converge241 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:08 am

Nice read, pretty straighforward stuff on #2 and #3. to expand on #1- I'm a believer in transaction limits. If I am in a league where they choose not to have one I personally will treat the wire like a second bench, keeping 1-2 roster spots in a constant flux whenever possible. Every league I am currently in or run either has a limit or no add drops at all (2 leagues like that). Only one still has no limit and every year I pitch it to the commish, they prefer not to have one though. I am up to 82 moves now. next closest is 25. For said league an ideal number would probably be like 75 or so.

He does mention need a trans limit so acknowledging a solution just going on about it further here.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby hondo4mvp » Fri May 18, 2012 11:48 am

Good article but I believe that as long as everybody knows and abides by the rules it's all fair.

I also believe that the REAL cheaters are the ones who subscribe to sites like Rotowire and get all their info spoontexted to them.

I mean what is the point? What are they trying to prove?

It reminds me of people who rent limos for parties.etc.
"Hey everybody,look at me!! I've got $150!!"
hondo4mvp
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Quackman » Fri May 18, 2012 4:31 pm

Ya agree with the first point. I hate the pitcher shuffle. But you know there will be a few people doing it if the league allows 10+ transactions a week. It doesnt mean that these people will win. All they do is lock up wins and K's. If you have good closers than it will be tough to shuffle pitchers and get era and whip. Unless they get really lucky shuffling is basically punting era and whip.

One thing i do sometimes is shuffle in response but do it very selectively. Grabbing the pitcher with the best matchup the following day. Do this the whole week. This can get you wins/k's sometimes.

I dont agree with the rest of the article unless its crazy obvious/
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 64)

Postby bigmck » Sun May 20, 2012 7:08 am

I have ran leagues a long time. In the H2H leagues on ESPN, I always set 5 add/drops a week to stop streaming and things have always been good. This year a guy pulled something new on me. He drafted five closers and four middle relievers and no starters. He was within the rules and meets the 10 innings set as the minimum to win WHIP and ERA. Next year I will set a certain about of starts in order to win WHIP and ERA. For this year, do you feel that drafting all relievers is a strategy that should be allowed or do you feel it is "underhanded"?
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby Quackman » Sun May 20, 2012 1:48 pm

bigmck wrote:I have ran leagues a long time. In the H2H leagues on ESPN, I always set 5 add/drops a week to stop streaming and things have always been good. This year a guy pulled something new on me. He drafted five closers and four middle relievers and no starters. He was within the rules and meets the 10 innings set as the minimum to win WHIP and ERA. Next year I will set a certain about of starts in order to win WHIP and ERA. For this year, do you feel that drafting all relievers is a strategy that should be allowed or do you feel it is "underhanded"?

punting wins is a legit strat,,,not at all the same as shuffling pitchers. Out of my 10 leagues im punting wins in one and punting saves in another. Ussually ill decide during the draft. If no closers are taken early, then i know i can stack my closers while others are drafting SP. Also it allows you to draft all bats for like the first part of the draft.

I dont see this like shuffling at all and its harder than you think. To successfully use only relievers, you are basically punting wins and K's. The main reason its difficult to pull off is era and whip is never locked down either (especially this year). If you have a great week you win pitching 3-2 but a bad week means you win saves 1-4.

If you are going against someone that is punting wins/k's, ive found the best strat is to only start your best pitchers and best matchups. Basically try and take era and whip from them. If you get a couple wins and your era/whip is really low just bench everyone for the rest of the week.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 64)

Postby Xander756 » Sun May 20, 2012 5:41 pm

I think a 5 weekly transaction maximum is very fair. I would also say to increase your minimum innings pitched to 20 to combat having no SPs. The league I'm in this year has a minimum of 40! It is CRAZY.
Xander756
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Commissioner's Corner