Which closer to drop for Rafael Soriano? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Which closer to drop for Rafael Soriano?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which closer to drop for Rafael Soriano?

Postby USBlues19 » Thu May 17, 2012 10:14 am

Hi! I play in a 5x5 rotissierie league. Pitching categories are K, W, SV, ERA, WHIP.

My relief pitchers are: Valverde, League, Putz, Addison Reed, Thayer.

It's an 8 team league, so rosters are pretty stacked. I also have for SP: Cain, Zimmerman, Gio Gonzalez, Lance Lynn, Sabathia, Josh Johnson, Dan Haren.

There are 9 slots for pitchers. 3 bench spots for whole team. All mine are used for pitching staff.

There is no minimum on IP, but there is a max of 200 games started. Seems like you'd hit that with about 6 SP's active.

So the ideal strategy would be to have about 6 SP's on your roster and 6 RP's with low WHIP, ERA and high K/9, ideally getting some saves from those guys. Keep your RP's active at all times and rotate your SP's into the other 3 starting pitcher slots as they start.

I say this b/c theoretically it could be good to drop a SP, but I can't bring myself to drop any of these guys. Should I drop one of my RP's?

Valverde has been bad and is not DTD.
Putz has been very bad, but it sounds like his velocity is up recently and maybe he's turned a corner.
League has been good but low K/9. Need his saves tho.
Thayer is perfect so far.
Addison has 1 bad outing but looks good so far.

Here's how many points I have for each category (K, W, SV, ERA, WHIP) = 7, 2, 6, 1, 3

What do you guys think? Thanks!
USBlues19
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Which closer to drop for Rafael Soriano?

Postby MashinSpuds » Thu May 17, 2012 2:56 pm

I say Thayer, due to lack of upside (Reed) or stability (Putz, League). If and when Street comes back, he is the most likely to lose his job first. (shrug) It's a tough call b/c I like what he's been doing, but go with Thayer.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Re: Which closer to drop for Rafael Soriano?

Postby RyeWhiskey » Thu May 17, 2012 3:00 pm

MashinSpuds wrote:I say Thayer, due to lack of upside (Reed) or stability (Putz, League). If and when Street comes back, he is the most likely to lose his job first. (shrug) It's a tough call b/c I like what he's been doing, but go with Thayer.

Indeed. It's between Thayer and Reed for me as Reed doesn't technically have the job to himself yet although he could run with it quite easily. Thayer is definitely a better bet for the short term but Soriano could close all season.

Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=447171
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions