5/16 Cheering, Venting, & OUT OF THE STADIUM~!~!~! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

5/16 Cheering, Venting, & OUT OF THE STADIUM~!~!~!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How long SHOULD Brett Lawrie's suspension be?

1 - 5 Games
38%
6 - 10 Games
14%
11 - 15 Games
24%
16+ Games
24%

Total votes : 37

Re: 5/16 Cheering, Venting, & OUT OF THE STADIUM~!~!~!

Postby Izenhart » Thu May 17, 2012 3:21 am

benb18a wrote:The umpire should be suspended, like the d-bag who baited Bradley when he blew his ACL. "Guy goes to first on an obvious miscalled strike? No problem, I'll make another call that is just as bad on the next pitch, it will show him I have power tripping issues!" :-t I mean seriously, doesn't a batter start to move towards first on a close called strike on a three ball count at least once per game?

I think the problem is, the umpire won't be suspended now because of what Lawrie did or it would make it seem like it's okay to throw stuff at umpires. It's also an issue of weather MLB wants to admit that they agree that the umpire was doing it to show him up, and I doubt Selig would like that kind of negative press. All of this is why Lawrie should have just stayed cool and handled it differently.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 295)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby benb18a » Thu May 17, 2012 4:35 am

If you suspend them both, it gives the message that making retarded calls because your ego can't handle a player behaving normally after a call that was just as idiotic is not acceptable MLB behavior, and acting like a lunatic instead of keeping your cool is not acceptable MLB behavior. Let's face it, Selig can not prove Lawrie had intent to contact the ump with his helmet anymore than he can prove the moronic ump didn't call the letter high pitch a strike to instigate Lawrie knowing the previous call had irritated him so much. Yet the ump gets off scot free (well, maybe not, with the beer tossed at him :P), business as usual. If you're going to put umpires on a pedestal...at least make sure their behavior is exemplary, otherwise you look like a massive hypocrite punishing players but never umps for bad behavior.
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

If you suspend them both, it gives the message that making retarded calls because your ego can't handle a player behaving normally after a call that was just as idiotic is not acceptable MLB behavior, and acting like a lunatic instead of keeping your cool is not acceptable MLB behavior. Let's face it, Selig can not prove Lawrie had intent to contact the ump with his helmet anymore than he can prove the moronic ump didn't call the letter high pitch a strike to instigate Lawrie knowing the previous call had irritated him so much. Yet the ump gets off scot free (well, maybe not, with the beer tossed at him :P), business as usual. If you're going to put umpires on a pedestal...at least make sure their behavior is exemplary, otherwise you look like a massive hypocrite punishing players but never umps for bad behavior.
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki

benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Thu May 17, 2012 5:54 am

bayside wrote:NO they dont. An umpire who blatantly makes things personal, with 2 purposefully bad calls in a row does NOT deserve respect. Then he tossed him out before Lawrie even turned around all the way.
I mean the guy was intentionally trying to show Lawrie up, and anyone who disagrees is either blind or ignorant.

What the hell are you talkin about?
What was personal before Lawrie started to yell?
Can you prove that those were purposefully bad calls?
The first one wasn't that bad anyway, it was just a bit off the plate.
Lawrie was tossed after he made two and a half steps toward the ump.
Obviously you didn't see the video, and say stupid things.
Intentionally trying to show Lawrie up? What the hell are you talking about?
I disagree with you, and looks like you are the one whos blind and ignorant.

Heres the video:
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=21468797
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby benb18a » Thu May 17, 2012 7:30 am

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
bayside wrote:NO they dont. An umpire who blatantly makes things personal, with 2 purposefully bad calls in a row does NOT deserve respect. Then he tossed him out before Lawrie even turned around all the way.
I mean the guy was intentionally trying to show Lawrie up, and anyone who disagrees is either blind or ignorant.

What the hell are you talkin about?
What was personal before Lawrie started to yell?
Can you prove that those were purposefully bad calls?
The first one wasn't that bad anyway, it was just a bit off the plate.
Lawrie was tossed after he made two and a half steps toward the ump.
Obviously you didn't see the video, and say stupid things.
Intentionally trying to show Lawrie up? What the hell are you talking about?
I disagree with you, and looks like you are the one whos blind and ignorant.

Heres the video:
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=21468797

He's talking about the simple fact that: the first called strike caught more of the LH batter box than it did the plate, and the second called strike was pretty much the highest called strike in the history of the MLB. Not only does the video suggest that the umpire had his head up his rear and deliberately called the second pitch a strike because of a pedestrian trot to first on what was obviously a ball ("WOW." and "fooled us all" were words the commentators used to describe it), but I have never seen a player ejected so fast in my entire two decades of watching baseball. I've never seen two strike calls in one at bat that were that horrible, either. Obviously, Lawrie's reaction to pitch #1 annoyed the umpire, and the second call was a "I'll show you; sit down I'm in charge, kid" retaliatory call.

You can either believe that the umpire has the eyesight of a bat, yet somehow managed to make his way onto an MLB diamond as a professional home plate umpire. Or, the umpire is a complete douchebag whose behavior was out of line before Lawrie's was...which caused Lawrie's bad behavior. Occam's Razor works for me.

benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers