5/16 Cheering, Venting, & OUT OF THE STADIUM~!~!~! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

5/16 Cheering, Venting, & OUT OF THE STADIUM~!~!~!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How long SHOULD Brett Lawrie's suspension be?

1 - 5 Games
38%
6 - 10 Games
14%
11 - 15 Games
24%
16+ Games
24%

Total votes : 37

Re: 5/16 Cheering, Venting, & OUT OF THE STADIUM~!~!~!

Postby Thursday » Wed May 16, 2012 11:21 pm

Starting to believe Darvish is the real deal.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bayside » Wed May 16, 2012 11:49 pm

GAC8666 wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:
jcook3127 wrote:I always find it fascinating how far away the two schools of thought are on umpires and respect for the game

I have no problem with what Lawrie did...ninth inning, pressure situation, trying to get on base for his team, and he knows with absolute certainty that the umpire screwed him and that that pitch was up...

You do not deserve respect, IN ANY CAPACITY, if you are doing a lousy job. Period. 15 games??? For what...an intense richochet? Get out of here. Play baseball...do your job...or deal with the consequences.

There is a huge difference between shoving an umpire and bouncing a helmet off his thigh. If you can't see that difference...you're just flat out wrong and I'd appreciate it if you stayed out of the world of sports

Honestly, the parallel is..HOW DARE YOU SEND OBAMA HATE MAIL...GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL..DO NOT PASS GO...we really have to send a message that our president is not to receive hate mail

Seriously...if that ump has any decency..he watches the replay and goes....yep..def deserved that

Being poor at your job is one thing, but being in physcial danger is another. Everyone deserves respect, regardless of how good or bad they are at their job. Do you know this Ump? Is his historical bad at late game situations?

Call him terrible, call him a bum, say he needs to be fired. That is fine. But getting in his face and throwing something at them is not needed.

NO they dont. An umpire who blatantly makes things personal, with 2 purposefully bad calls in a row does NOT deserve respect. Then he tossed him out before Lawrie even turned around all the way.
I mean the guy was intentionally trying to show Lawrie up, and anyone who disagrees is either blind or ignorant.
People like that dont deserve respect. Period.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bayside » Wed May 16, 2012 11:55 pm

I was just offered his Justin Upton for my Ellsbury straight up in a keeper league... i did the giggity dance and insta-accepted.

A few different people were like "meh. i wouldve kept Ells"
Are they high? or do people really think Ellsbury will be THAT much better than Upton when he retrurns this year, and over the next 5- years?

I mean Ive been the biggest Ells advocate on the board as far as i can tell and even I figured this was a no brainer.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jcook3127 » Thu May 17, 2012 12:02 am

bayside wrote:I was just offered his Justin Upton for my Ellsbury straight up in a keeper league... i did the giggity dance and insta-accepted.

A few different people were like "meh. i wouldve kept Ells"
Are they high? or do people really think Ellsbury will be THAT much better than Upton when he retrurns this year, and over the next 5- years?

I mean Ive been the biggest Ells advocate on the board as far as i can tell and even I figured this was a no brainer.

Yeah I had Ells higher than Upton this year but...ultimately he's showing himself to be pretty fragile..or at the very least, with how hard he plays the game he's always at risk to miss significant time..for that reason alone I think you made the right call

I don't think it's AMAZING for you but solid move for sure
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby m16a » Thu May 17, 2012 12:03 am

Guys... Mike Trout is pretty legit.
m16a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterFootball Mod
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AussieDodger » Thu May 17, 2012 1:32 am

I had a magnificent pitching line today until Gavin Floyd pooped all over it. Thanks dicknose. :-t

bigh0rt wrote:- Travis ISHIKAWA~! belted two Home Runs out of Citi Field last night. It is quite possible, and rumor has it, that one went OUT OF THE STADIUM~!~!~!~! He drove in 5 Runs, which I can only assume will continue every game for the rest of the season. OUT OF THE STADIUM~!~!~!

ZOMG HE'S BACK!
ALL ABOARD!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVf4_WglzWA
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby benb18a » Thu May 17, 2012 2:15 am

Wow. After putting up 40/10/40 the first four weeks of the fantasy season, my team has batted .232 the last ten days, going .230 last week and .234 this week so far :-/
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Izenhart » Thu May 17, 2012 3:04 am

bayside wrote:NO they dont. An umpire who blatantly makes things personal, with 2 purposefully bad calls in a row does NOT deserve respect. Then he tossed him out before Lawrie even turned around all the way.
I mean the guy was intentionally trying to show Lawrie up, and anyone who disagrees is either blind or ignorant.
People like that dont deserve respect. Period.

I agree. But I think Lawrie should be suspended though, it doesn't make it okay to throw stuff and having it unintentionally hit the umpire doesn't help his cause

Unfortunately the right thing to do is keep your cool, put your head down and file a complaint of some kind, or say something to the media about it and cause some backlash. The way Harper handled being drilled by Hamels was the right way to do it, had Lawrie been in that situation I'd hate to be the guy who threw the pitch.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 294)

Postby benb18a » Thu May 17, 2012 3:13 am

The umpire should be suspended, like the d-bag who baited Bradley when he blew his ACL. "Guy goes to first on an obvious miscalled strike? No problem, I'll make another call that is just as bad on the next pitch, it will show him I have power tripping issues!" :-t I mean seriously, doesn't a batter start to move towards first on a close called strike on a three ball count at least once per game?
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bayside » Thu May 17, 2012 3:20 am

I agree. But I think Lawrie should be suspended though, it doesn't make it okay to throw stuff and having it unintentionally hit the umpire doesn't help his cause

Im not saying Lawrie shouldnt be punished. I wasnt really commenting on that aspect. he definitely handled it very poorly. i was watching the game on mlb.tv and soon as it happened i text my buddy saying "well i just lost lawrie for at least 7 games".

I just hate the fact that MLB does not hold umpires publicly accountable AT ALL. they often times are just as much of a problem as the players, and meanwhile players are dragged through the mud (sometimes deservedly) and every fine/suspension/reprimand is made public.

The way Harper handled being drilled by Hamels was the right way to do it, had Lawrie been in that situation I'd hate to be the guy who threw the pitch.

maybe he went ballistic on the ump just to send a message to pitchers to not even THINK about pulling a Hamels on him :-D
Last edited by bayside on Thu May 17, 2012 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers