5/16 Cheering, Venting, & OUT OF THE STADIUM~!~!~! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

5/16 Cheering, Venting, & OUT OF THE STADIUM~!~!~!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How long SHOULD Brett Lawrie's suspension be?

1 - 5 Games
38%
6 - 10 Games
14%
11 - 15 Games
24%
16+ Games
24%

Total votes : 37

5/16 Cheering, Venting, & OUT OF THE STADIUM~!~!~!

Postby bigh0rt » Wed May 16, 2012 7:18 am

News, Notes, & Nonsense:

- Travis ISHIKAWA~! belted two Home Runs out of Citi Field last night. It is quite possible, and rumor has it, that one went OUT OF THE STADIUM~!~!~!~! He drove in 5 Runs, which I can only assume will continue every game for the rest of the season. OUT OF THE STADIUM~!~!~!

- Mike Trout is starting to show some Major League talent, supplanting all the potential and hype that has surrounded him. He filled the fantasy stat sheet again, belting a long ball, swiping a bag, and scoring 3 times. He has apparently stolen Albert Pujols' mojo.

- If you haven't seen it, please find a video of David Ortiz's sweet bunt single down the third base line last night. Epic. Also, somewhat related, Big Papi is looking skinny as hell these days. Compared to the svelte 2012 version, the former Ortiz was Big Sloppy. He hit a Home Run yesterday, too, but it wasn't nearly as entertaining as his against the shift bunt that he could probably successfully do every single time he came to the plate if he chose to do so.

- Derek Lowe threw a Complete Game Shutout without recording a single strikeout -- a feat last accomplished a decade ago. He was throwing bowling ball sinkers all day against the Twinkies.

- Josh Beckett showed what he's capable of doing when he isn't drunk, full of KFC, or hurting himself on the golf course. From joke to savior in under a week in Beantown, whose residents are looking for any reason to loosen the nooses they've fastened around their necks, as they teeter on the edge. Beckett fanned 9 over 7 shutout innings.

- Zack Greinke blanked the Mets, going 7 strong and striking out 7 in a performance at Citi Field that can only be described as dominating. The Mets never stood a chance.

- Matt Kemp is on the DL. His owners are trying to figure out what voo doo witchcraft doctoring they can collectively pull off to get The Bison back to health ASAP. It feels like it's been so long since we were anointing him the 2012 NL MVP two weeks into the season. And I've been called premature. Psh.

- David Robertson was placed on the 15-Day DL, with what I think is being called a sprained vagina.

- Anthony Bass continued his string of success as a starter, allowing a single run over 8 innings of work away from PETCO Park in Washington. He struck out 7, like a bass.

- Bryce Harper belted his second dinger in as many days. Apparently throwing your bat, having it ricochet back and hit you in the face, bloodying you, is an even luckier happenstance than Jason Giambi's golden thong slump breaker.

- The Yankees lost to the Orioles again. LOL. C.C. Sabathia lost to the O's, allowing 4 ER for the second time this season against the powerful Baltimore powerhouse team. LOL.

- Kevin Youkilis may be just days from re-joining the Boston Red Sox, and subsequently becoming one of the most hated men in fantasy baseball circles, if it spells the end to Will Middlebrooks' electrifying April/May run as primary hot corner guardian in Beantown.

- Carlos Beltran was able to pinch hit yesterday after being scratched from the starting lineup for a second straight day, which I'm convinced is directly related to me having traded for him. He drew a walk in his only plate appearance, and his ass better be in the lineup soon, because when I considered that he might get hurt after trading for him, I never anticipated that it would literally be the day I traded for him.

- Austin Jackson continues to defy the BABIP Gods; his sitting at a staggering .378, which seems ridiculous enough until you consider the last two seasons he's posted .340 and... wait for it... .396. The good news is his Ks are down, his BBs are up, and his ISO is 60 points higher than it was last year.

Today's Matchups:

BOS: Buchholz (4-1, 8.31 ERA)
TB: Hellickson (3-0, 2.95 ERA)

CIN: Leake (0-5, 7.11 ERA)
NYM: Santana (1-2, 2.92 ERA)

SEA: Hernandez (3-2, 2.29 ERA)
CLE: Jimenez (3-3, 5.18 ERA)

AD: Capuano (5-0, 2.06 ERA)
SD: Richard (1-5, 5.32 ERA)

MIN: Blackburn (1-4, 7.18 ERA)
DET: Porcello (3-3, 5.18 ERA)

PIT: Bedard (2-4, 2.57 ERA)
WSH: Gonzalez (4-1, 1.94 ERA)

NYY: Kuroda (3-4, 3.56 ERA)
TOR: Drabek (2-4, 3.66 ERA)

MIA: Buehrle (2-4, 2.81 ERA)
ATL: Minor (2-2, 6.59 ERA)

OAK: Milone (5-2, 3.92 ERA)
TEX: Darvish (5-1, 2.84 ERA)

PHI: Kendrick (0-3, 7.32 ERA)
CHC: Garza (2-1, 2.56 ERA)

BAL: Hunter (2-2, 5.14 ERA)
KC: Paulino (1-1, 3.09 ERA)

MIL: Wolf (2-3, 5.63 ERA)
HOU: Norris (3-1, 3.95 ERA)

CHW: Floyd (3-3, 2.53 ERA)
LAA: Williams (3-1, 4.19 ERA)

ARI: Corbin (2-1, 4.50 ERA)
COL: Moyer (1-3, 4.66 ERA)

STL: Garcia (2-2, 4.09 ERA)
SF: Bumgarner (5-2, 2.80 ERA)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 5/16 Cheering, Venting, & OUT OF THE STADIUM~!~!~!

Postby GAC8666 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:05 am

Lowrie went all "roid rage" on that Ump.
GAC8666
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed May 16, 2012 8:08 am

I've always thought Papi should bunt most of the time with the shift on, provided he has the skill to lay it down cleanly a large percentage of the time. Beyond the sheer entertainment factor (and padding his batting average), getting a bunt single at even just a 50% rate has to be more valuable than hitting a HR 5% of the time. Obviously there are situations where it doesn't make sense, but if he did it a majority of the time with success, all of a sudden there would be no shift and that would open the rest of the field back up for him.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed May 16, 2012 8:47 am

if Cole Hamles got 5 games for admitting he intentionally used the baseball to hit Bryce Harper in the back and did not miss a start, then Lawrie should not get more than what Hamels got. even though the batting helmet hit the umpire while Lawrie was upset, he did not intentionally mean for it to hit the umpire. even if Lawrie got 5 games, he would miss 5 more games than what Hamels missed.

Ubaldo Jimenez at home against Seattle?
he doesn't have very good overall numbers, but he does have better numbers at home (Progressive Field), this season and last season.
12 home-20 IP - 2.70 ERA, 1.00 WHIP
11 home- 35 IP - 2.83 ERA, 1.00 WHIP
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby mweir145 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:19 am

GAC8666 wrote:Lowrie went all "roid rage" on that Ump.

If Lawrie's on the 'roids, they're not working at all. No power this season. Needs to get on the stronger Josh Hamilton stuff.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby GAC8666 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:23 am

mweir145 wrote:
GAC8666 wrote:Lowrie went all "roid rage" on that Ump.

If Lawrie's on the 'roids, they're not working at all. No power this season. Needs to get on the stronger Josh Hamilton stuff.

The dude doesnt take off any days in the gym that is for sure. He have about 5-10 more days to get that gym in.
GAC8666
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mweir145 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:25 am

I have no idea what Lawrie's suspension will be (no precedents for it...wouldn't be surprised by pretty much any outcome), but I think it should be at least 10. Can't be tossing helmets at umpires (even if it was pretty cathartic for the fans after the brutal, ridiculous calls).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:33 am

bigh0rt wrote:- If you haven't seen it, please find a video of David Ortiz's sweet bunt single down the third base line last night. Epic. Also, somewhat related, Big Papi is looking skinny as hell these days. Compared to the svelte 2012 version, the former Ortiz was Big Sloppy. He hit a Home Run yesterday, too, but it wasn't nearly as entertaining as his against the shift bunt that he could probably successfully do every single time he came to the plate if he chose to do so.

I've seen Ortiz has put that bunt down several times in his career. And yeah, I'm convinced he could do it every time. He just chooses not to.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Tavish » Wed May 16, 2012 9:43 am

I know it was different times and potentially a much smaller infraction, but Alomar got 5 games for spitting on an ump. I would expect 10 games to be close to the minimum Lawrie gets and if the MLB wants to send a message it will probably be closer to 20.

Lawrie has a long way to go if he wants to be the next George Brett. He has no perfect double-tapered stories and he doesn't throw tantrums correctly.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Element » Wed May 16, 2012 9:46 am

Gonna be a slow day for me on the pitching front. That's probably a good thing following that Strasburg/Peavy/Billingsley meltdown from yesterday. I'm not so sure that I can take another one of those so soon.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers