Best Stat Service Site - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Best Stat Service Site

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Best Stat Service Site

Postby rotoballnut » Mon May 14, 2012 9:45 pm

Sure could use some help, guys. I've been a commish of 2 CBS leagues for awhile. Roto, 5x5, daily trans, 15 team, $100 entry fee, etc.

2 new owners and 1 past owner this year are complaining a lot about how bad the CBS site is. They complain that it's too slow with DL designation for hurt players, can't look at stats for a certain day 3 or more days ago, miss SP starts because CBS didn't have the SP listed as starting on a certain day, and other complaints.

2 of them now say that ESPN is fantastic. I've never been in an ESPN league. Is it much better than CBS?
And, are there any other stat services that are better than CBS?

Thanks.
rotoballnut
rotoballnut
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Best Stat Service Site

Postby bigmck » Mon May 14, 2012 10:48 pm

It is a good site. If you have an Auction Keeper League, you will not be able to use ESPN. They do not support a column that keeps track of Salary or Contract Years like CBS does. If you play without that, ESPN is the site for you.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby rotoballnut » Mon May 14, 2012 10:51 pm

Thanks. And yes, we are a keeper auction league.
rotoballnut
rotoballnut
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon May 14, 2012 11:08 pm

rotoballnut wrote:Thanks. And yes, we are a keeper auction league.

Depending on what exactly you require, it is likely that we support you needs by now at Yahoo! If you want to describe specifics, I'll try to let you know if/how we meet or don't meet your needs.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 67)

Postby bigmck » Tue May 15, 2012 10:31 am

rotoballnut wrote:Thanks. And yes, we are a keeper auction league.

That is my situation also. There is no free service around that provides keeping track of Salary and Contract Years. You mentioned that CBS is slow to put players on the DL. What our league does is we use three Transaction List. CBS, MLB and ESPN. If your player shows on any one of those you can get a replacement and the Commish makes the DL move for you. Since the first week or so, CBS has gotten things up to date and we never have to wait past the first day that a player goes on the DL. The site has everything we need to run the league. $15 a person for the whole summer is not that much. It is about the price of going to a movie and getting popcorn.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mkultra » Tue May 15, 2012 11:23 am

It's unfortunately tough to get around the commish having to occasionally make a DL move in advance of the service. I gotta say, I've come around on Fantrax- great support, lotta features, and it's $60/year. Depending on your needs you might even fit into their free service. They get player updates from RotoWorld and seem on top of things.

That said, I think both ESPN and Yahoo are great for what-they-are free services. I've really come to hate Sportsline.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 39)

Postby bigmck » Tue May 15, 2012 3:46 pm

mkultra wrote:It's unfortunately tough to get around the commish having to occasionally make a DL move in advance of the service. I gotta say, I've come around on Fantrax- great support, lotta features, and it's $60/year. Depending on your needs you might even fit into their free service. They get player updates from RotoWorld and seem on top of things.

That said, I think both ESPN and Yahoo are great for what-they-are free services. I've really come to hate Sportsline.

Does Fantrax have a column for Salary and Contract Years and support a FAAB for player pickups during the season?
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mkultra » Tue May 15, 2012 5:38 pm

bigmck wrote:Does Fantrax have a column for Salary and Contract Years and support a FAAB for player pickups during the season?

Yes, it supports all of that. Here's what my dynasty league does:

$260 auction, $300 in-season cap, unlimited keepers. Salaries increase $3/year (note: Fantrax does not seem to do this automatically, but it's a minor hassle, since we don't increase rookie-eligible player salaries anyway). Players claimed off Waivers keep their salary. Players who fall through Waivers into FA have their salary re-set to whatever the winning FAAB bid on them is.

The only part of that not supported by Fantrax is that we allow $0 FAAB bids but $1 minimum salary, so I occasionally have to go in and "fix" guys won at $0. Again, small price to pay.

We don't use contract years, but Fantrax supports tracking that, including handling what happens when players hit Waivers/FA.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mkultra » Tue May 15, 2012 5:40 pm

Oh, right, the one big drawback to Fantrax: They didn't get their auction software online for this season, so I had to create a free league on ESPN, import keepers, then export finished rosters back out. Hopefully they get it implemented for 2013...
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigmck » Tue May 15, 2012 5:52 pm

Thanks for the info. It sounds like they are getting close to being a good stat service. == It really surprises me that ESPN has not added a Salary and Contract column for theirs. That is all they need and they would have the same thing CBS does and also all of their customers.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner