Quick help! Nova for K.Jansen? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Quick help! Nova for K.Jansen? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Quick help! Nova for K.Jansen? WHIR

Postby joeyg2323 » Mon May 14, 2012 2:11 pm

Got offered Jansen for my nova straight up.

Should i do it?

MY pitchers

SP- F.hernandez. lincecum, Hanson, Sale, Minor, Nova, Smyly, Mcdonald, Friedrich, Ariatta(was a stream start, gonna drop later most likely)
RP- Kimbrel, League, Chapman

14 team deep mixed keeper league(keep 4, this is the 2nd year) 5x5 h2h pitchers cats are W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP

Should i make this trade? WHIR

THanks everyone.
"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Quick help! Nova for K.Jansen? WHIR

Postby KaPluie » Mon May 14, 2012 2:13 pm

joeyg2323 wrote:Got offered Jansen for my nova straight up.

Should i do it?

MY pitchers

SP- F.hernandez. lincecum, Hanson, Sale, Minor, Nova, Smyly, Mcdonald, Friedrich, Ariatta(was a stream start, gonna drop later most likely)
RP- Kimbrel, League, Chapman

14 team deep mixed keeper league(keep 4, this is the 2nd year) 5x5 h2h pitchers cats are W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP

Should i make this trade? WHIR

THanks everyone.

From a value standpoint, I think Kenley Jansen has much more value than Nova. Not sure if you want three closers and a RP though. But you can probably flip Jansen for a SP better than Nova.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=446893&p=3524807#p3524807
KaPluie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby elvis1074 » Mon May 14, 2012 2:16 pm

do it. Nova is overrated because he is a Yankee. Like he said - you can always flip Jensen for a much better SP. Or you can keep him, he's excellent

PLEASE HELP
viewtopic.php?t=446895
elvis1074
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby joeyg2323 » Mon May 14, 2012 2:18 pm

elvis1074 wrote:do it. Nova is overrated because he is a Yankee. Like he said - you can always flip Jensen for a much better SP. Or you can keep him, he's excellent

PLEASE HELP
viewtopic.php?t=446895

the one question i have is he going to keep the closer job? i dont want him to lose it in a month and then have 2 set up men in chapman and jansen, this is the reason im worried about the trade.
"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pcm4 » Mon May 14, 2012 2:34 pm

I'd do it. As for your concern about Jensen not keeping the job I think it's important to consider that they went through the trouble to do away with Guerra. Who else are they going to put in there? He probably has a pretty long leash. In addition Jensen has electric stuff. I doubt he loses the job barring injury.
pcm4
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 9)

Postby mrbohjangles » Mon May 14, 2012 3:05 pm

I don't know why people aren't higher on Nova than they are. He has lost only one start in almost a year. His numbers are decent and since he plays for the Yanks he will almost always have excellent run support. I say do it.
mrbohjangles
College Coach
College Coach

Postby joeyg2323 » Mon May 14, 2012 3:16 pm

mrbohjangles wrote:I don't know why people aren't higher on Nova than they are. He has lost only one start in almost a year. His numbers are decent and since he plays for the Yanks he will almost always have excellent run support. I say do it.

i have nova, i would be getting jansen.
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MaudDib » Mon May 14, 2012 3:42 pm

I think Jansen should be able to keep the job and could be a top 10 closer the rest of the year. He is a closer so nothing is guaranteed but he has the stuff to be a top notch closer.

Nova is intriguing. His K/9 is up and his BB/9 is down. His BABIP is way too high right now which could be why his ERA is above 5.

I think Nova can be a solid SP but I think I would still do this deal. Your SP is pretty strong and if I was in your position, Nova wouldn't be a must start and with him pitching the AL East it would be hard for me to pitch him against a lot of his opponents. Though I am not sure you really need a closer so I wouldn't have a problem if you passed on the deal but I think Jansen and Kimbrel would make you pretty hard to beat.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby joeyg2323 » Mon May 14, 2012 3:49 pm

MaudDib wrote:I think Jansen should be able to keep the job and could be a top 10 closer the rest of the year. He is a closer so nothing is guaranteed but he has the stuff to be a top notch closer.

Nova is intriguing. His K/9 is up and his BB/9 is down. His BABIP is way too high right now which could be why his ERA is above 5.

I think Nova can be a solid SP but I think I would still do this deal. Your SP is pretty strong and if I was in your position, Nova wouldn't be a must start and with him pitching the AL East it would be hard for me to pitch him against a lot of his opponents. Though I am not sure you really need a closer so I wouldn't have a problem if you passed on the deal but I think Jansen and Kimbrel would make you pretty hard to beat.

last week i grabed kimbrel for lynn, thinking i would have 3 closers with sale but then sale was put back into the rotation. you really need 3-4 closers to win that cat because either teams have closers or have been trading them to have none.

i like nova a lot but like you said he pitches in a tough AL east. his ks are up but have been giving up too many HR.

i just dont see myself making an easier deal for a closer.
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hot4tx » Mon May 14, 2012 3:55 pm

Definitely do it. There's no guarantees, but IMO Jansen is likely to put up better numbers than Nova and he has the upside to be an elite closer. Nova is likely to be a decent back of the rotation guy, one you can probably replace in the free agent pile with good matchups or using the hot-hand. While Nova does have more chance for Ws playing for NYY than he would with Pit, wins are a very fluky stat.

To the run support argument - the Yankees are currently 5th in the league in runs, and even last year when they were 2nd in runs the NYY provided their pitchers with less than 1 run per game more than the NYM (in a bad year for the Mets offensively). That's not enough to make a decent pitcher into some stud.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions