Should I worry about all these Ks??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Should I worry about all these Ks???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Should I worry about all these Ks???

Postby Spokes » Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:50 pm

First of all, let me show you my hitting roster and tell you the points system for the batters in my league (9 teams, 30-round draft)...
Varitek
Huff
Soriano
Tejada
Rolen
Berkman
Giles
Kearns
Burrell
Pierre
K. Matsui
E. Hinske
M. Young
Bobby Crosby
M. Bradley
Ensberg
N. Johnson (Probably going to drop him for Mauer who some stupid owner dropped only because he had N/A next to his name in our Yahoo! league)
LeCroy
Loretta

Scoring system: Runs: 2. 1B: 2. 2B: 3. 3B: 5. HR: 4. RBI: 3. SB: 3. BB: 1. K: -1

After all that, here's the question: If you look at my hitters' 2003 stats, I have 8 guys who had over 100 Ks last year (More than any team in the league) and that's not even including the probability that Kearns would have gone over 100 if not for his injury and LeCroy had more than 80 Ks in only 345 ABs. Will having this many strikeouts on my team really kill my chances of winning the league? Should I trade someone like Burrell or Hinske for a little less than full value just to get rid of all of these Ks? Or am I worrying too much about a small factor?
Thanks for any and all responses!
The best lyric ever: "You shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you gotta glass jaw you should watch your mouth...'cause I'll break yo face."
Spokes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidoffgoodlife » Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:03 pm

Yes, you should be worried...especially with all the young guys on your team, they won't get better overnight.

I have no suggestions since i'm not up to speed on K-rates for position players, but many of your guys will end up detracting WAY more from your team in the form of strikeouts than they'll contribute.
davidoffgoodlife
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Jarrod32 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:23 pm

Yeah, I agree, I think you should be worried. With your scoring system, competitive leagues are won and lost on the little things...and you have incrementally more strikeouts (probably) than other teams...it could prove costly.

You don't need to do anything drastic, though...maybe trade a couple of the high-strikeout guys...marginal improvement should be enough to reduce the impact of the excess strikeouts.
There's a madness to my methods...
Jarrod32
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team