WILL RYAN HOWARD HELP THIS SEASON? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

WILL RYAN HOWARD HELP THIS SEASON?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

WILL RYAN HOWARD HELP THIS SEASON?

Postby wackadoodle » Sun May 13, 2012 12:22 pm

I have an offer to get Howard. I'm totally fine if he can come back in June but I have been reading a ton of mixed feelings about this injury and surgery. Anyone with some insights?
You're so ugly that if you were a dog I'd shave your butt and teach you to walk backwards!
wackadoodle
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: WILL RYAN HOWARD HELP THIS SEASON?

Postby mpieco » Sun May 13, 2012 1:06 pm

It all depends on the amount of DL spots you have. I have no problem with keeping Ryan Howard on my DL so long as he isn't cutting out someone more worthy.

For example, I'd rather have Daniel Hudson, Chase Utley, and possibly even Michael Morse on my DL over Ryan Howard.

Will Ryan hit when he comes back? Yes. He'll hit some homers and drive in some runs. Especially with guys like Pence/Victorino/Utley batting in front of him (cough*jroll get it together(*cough). I think the issue is when he comes back. I wouldn't expect him back before the all-star break, that's for sure. Could be looking at an early August return, and he should hit about 10-15 HRs from then on.
(In reference to an Aaron Hill for David Price swap)

twinkypoop wrote:
mpieco wrote: You're my new hero if that gets accepted.

Trade accepted! Thanks for the help!
mpieco
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby 5050 » Sun May 13, 2012 3:47 pm

mpieco wrote:It all depends on the amount of DL spots you have. I have no problem with keeping Ryan Howard on my DL so long as he isn't cutting out someone more worthy.

For example, I'd rather have Daniel Hudson, Chase Utley, and possibly even Michael Morse on my DL over Ryan Howard.

Will Ryan hit when he comes back? Yes. He'll hit some homers and drive in some runs. Especially with guys like Pence/Victorino/Utley batting in front of him (cough*jroll get it together(*cough). I think the issue is when he comes back. I wouldn't expect him back before the all-star break, that's for sure. Could be looking at an early August return, and he should hit about 10-15 HRs from then on.

I'm not sure how accurate that (^) post is..

I haven't read anything about Howard returning post all-star break.

This is the most recent news I have read.

Ryan Howard (Achilles) took batting practice Monday for the first time since February.
Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro, Jr. classified the news as "progress." Howard was recently given clearance to ramp up baseball activities at the team's spring training complex in Clearwater, Florida. It's not clear when he'll go out on a minor league rehab assignment, but a return in late May or early June is possible provided there are no setbacks.
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MaudDib » Sun May 13, 2012 7:55 pm

Late May or early June is probably too early. Achilles injuries take a long time to fully come back from. Hitting isn't the big problem but more of his ability to run or take off from the plate. I think he COULD make it back by the end of June but even that I am not optimistic about. So many things could still happen and you just don't know how he will handle it. A common problem I have heard with this injury is that the player has a tendency to favor or be cautious when taking off to run. Granted Howard will never be a burner but it could effect all sorts of things including hitting.

I think he is worth stashing but not a guy I would personally care to have. This injury adds to my worries about a guy who is declining in most categories for the past few years. He doesn't have the power he used to have and the Phillies offense isn't what it once was so the RBI will likely take a hit as well.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby wackadoodle » Sun May 13, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks guys. It is worth noting that this is an NL only auction keeper league and most big bats are usually locked into contracts. If I can get a solid second half from him it would be worth giving up what I am being asked for and I would get him for a few years (at a great price).
You're so ugly that if you were a dog I'd shave your butt and teach you to walk backwards!
wackadoodle
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 5)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions