Which Closer should I package in a trade? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Which Closer should I package in a trade?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which Closer should I package in a trade?

Postby Knights » Sun May 13, 2012 10:33 am

I'm in a 16-team 6x6 H2H keeper league. I have 4 closers on my roster, but only space to start 3 of them on a daily basis so I need to ship one out. But since I'm always keeping an eye on next season, I want to see if I can somehow create a package that might bring me back a potential keeper for next season.

The 4 closers currently on my roster are:
Heath Bell: Needless to say there are many concerns with him, but with his value is so low and the contract he just signed presumably assuring him of save chances to come might mean he can't be traded... can he?
Santiago Casilla: Probably the most secure of my closers for this season - not trade bait
Henry Rodriguez: He has run with the job in WSH. I'd love to hold on to him for the balance of the season, but I can't see him keeping the job unless Storen has a setback in his return
David Robertson: Not a lock in NYY, but clearly the front runner and has a chance to be dominating if he keep the job.

Given those 4 options, is Rodriguez clearly the one to be shopping right now since he's most likely to lose his job despite how well he's pitching? Or do I take my chance and hold on to him, and try to find a market for Heath Bell? If I could be assured that Rodriguez keeps getting saves all season it would be a no-brainer in my mind to try to get something for Bell, but I just can't see that happening unless Storen's return is delayed.

The follow-up to that is what do I try to acquire in return. Based on my current roster, my keepers for next season would be Dustin Pedroia, Hanley Ramriez (hopefully he gets a few SS appearances throughout the season!), Brett Lawrie, Chris Young, James Shields and Matt Garza. Given this outlook, I'm probably leaning toward trying to add either a 1B or a SP to surplant Garza as a keeper.

The question then becomes who do I try to package with a Closer to make a deal? Looking at my roster, my thoughts are that it needs to be a SP... and the most valuable pitchers I could probably deal would be Matt Garza or Johnny Cueto to capitalize on his great start. Cueto has become a star SP over the past season and a half, and his trade value may never be higher than it is right now. At the same time, Garza is just as good but also provides more Ks and has a longer history of doing what he's doing... which also makes his a better potential keeper going forward should whoever I try to deal for not plan out long-term.

So those are my thoughts. Here's the summary of my questions:
1) Which closer should I try to trade?
2) What position should I try to get back in return?
3) What other player should I pair up with the closer from #1 to make a splash?

Thanks in advance, and leave a link - WHIR!

Here is my roster:
C Jonathan Lucroy (Mil - C)
1B Luke Scott (TB - 1B,LF)
2B Dustin Pedroia (Bos - 2B)
3B Brett Lawrie (Tor - 3B)
SS Hanley Ramírez (Mia - 3B,SS)
LF Matt Joyce (TB - LF,RF)
CF Ryan Sweeney (Bos - LF,CF,RF)
RF Carlos Beltrán (StL - RF)
Util Ike Davis (NYM - 1B)
BN Gaby Sánchez (Mia - 1B)
BN Alfonso Soriano (ChC - LF)
DL Chris Young (Ari - CF)

SP James Shields (TB - SP)
SP Johnny Cueto (Cin - SP)
SP Matt Garza (ChC - SP)
SP Jonathon Niese (NYM - SP)
RP Santiago Casilla (SF - RP)
RP Henry Rodríguez (Was - RP)
P David Robertson (NYY - RP)
BN Jaime García (StL - SP)
BN Heath Bell (Mia - RP)
BN Mike Minor (Atl - SP)
BN Tim Stauffer (SD - SP)
Knights
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 28)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Which Closer should I package in a trade?

Postby mpieco » Sun May 13, 2012 11:03 am

I'd perhaps wait a few days to see how Heath Bell performs back in the closer's role--in other words, let him drive up his trade value for you because I think ultimately he'd the arm that could bring back the most value in a trade (whereas Rodriguez wouldn't for the reasons you cited).

In terms of who to pair up with Bell for the best return, I'd say Chris Young could do the trick, since he was red-hot before he got hurt and you might be able to get someone who thinks Young finally made that next step to stardom. I think batting average is still going to shoot him in the foot, so selling him close to a high along with a rejuvenated Heath Bell could get you someone like...Hosmer, who is currently struggling (mostly due to bad luck).
(In reference to an Aaron Hill for David Price swap)

twinkypoop wrote:
mpieco wrote: You're my new hero if that gets accepted.

Trade accepted! Thanks for the help!
mpieco
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Knights » Sun May 13, 2012 9:58 pm

Thanks. Any other thoughts/opinions?

Obviously today's rough outing by Bell again muffles the situation.
Knights
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 28)

Postby MadDog36 » Mon May 14, 2012 7:51 am

I'd package Bell+Scott+Cueto for a good young 1b and CF prospect (maybe Trout and Freeman?)
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1943)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions