Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Any advice, please!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Any advice, please!

Postby drifter4life » Sat May 12, 2012 2:33 am

I am in a 9 team ROTO league that scores 16 categories---
10 batting: R, H, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG
6 pitching: W, SV, SHO, K, ERA, WHIP

I am leading or 2nd in 10 categories, strugging in 3 (1B, 3B, W) and just slipped 3 spots in K's. I am 2nd in HITS so being down in 1B is a fluke/insignificant and 3B are always gonna be hard to find. But W and K's I think I can do something about. If my team is:

BATTERS: Carlos Ruiz, Adrian Gonzalez, Allen Craig, Encarnacion, Rafael Furcal, Carlos Beltran, Austin Jackson, B.J. Upton, Michael Cuddyer, David Freese, Jason Heyward, Andre Ethier
PITCHERS: (SP)Brandon Morrow , Jake Peavy, Colby Lewis, Ryan Dempster, Zack Greinke----- (RP) Rafael Betancourt, Joe Nathan, Chris Perez, Brett Myers, Brandon League

MY QUESTION IS:

Should I pick up SP to boost W chances? If I go that route, who should I drop- a (very good) RP or one of my excess OF's?
Available FA SP's I can pick up are: Wandy Rodriguez, Jason Vargas, Gavin Floyd, Ted Lilly, Edwin Jackson, Carlos Zambrano
OR
Should I stay put and be happy I am crushing rest of the league?
OR
Trade for SP? (Matt Garza has been offered for Encarnacion straight up.)

Thanks for any input! (My apologies for the long question...)
drifter4life
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Any advice, please!

Postby chinch sacs » Sat May 12, 2012 2:40 am

I would try to tade an OF for a SP. I would sell high on Beltran if I were an owner, there is no way he stays heathy and kickin out #'s anywhere near this the rest of the year. Id try for a good 2nd tier SP, Cain, Shields or maybe Gallardo and work my way down

help?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=446735
Fantasy sports are ruled by the 50-50-90 rule...

Anytime you have a 50/50 choice between two players, 90% of the time, you'll get it wrong
chinch sacs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ccates21 » Sat May 12, 2012 2:51 am

I'd package an outfielder and a reliever for a good SP. Closers are hard to come by now... Maybe Betancourt and Cuddyer for a second tier starter. Disregard ERA and WHIP if you're doing okay there. Or take a chance and aim for someone "better" with uncommonly high numbers (like Lester) to see if a fed up owner will bite. Should get you a better pitcher than you'd find on waivers.

If it doesn't pan out, I'd drop Cuddyer. He's not bad, but the spare OF and a SP will each see playing time maybe once a week. The SP stats will be much more valuable.
ccates21
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby drifter4life » Sat May 12, 2012 2:59 am

Yeah, trading an OF is option. I was kinda shopping Jackson & Upton & Ethier. Yes, I'm worried about Beltran staying healthy but I think he'll put up .290's/30+HR/110+RBI if he gets over 145 games. I was thinking Ethier is one to sell high right now.

But you definitely think adding another quality SP is way to go, eh?
drifter4life
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby drifter4life » Sat May 12, 2012 3:05 am

@ ccates21- Yes, I'd considered dropping Cuddyer but wasn't sure that was wise. I picked up Allen Craig right before he came off DL and he seems to be a much better Cuddyer (same 3 positions). I may drop him and pick up Wandy Rodriguez if I cant get a deal done over weekend.

Thanks!
drifter4life
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby ccates21 » Sat May 12, 2012 3:18 am

You wont be disappointed. I'm in STL, and I've been watching Craig absolutely RAKE for two+ years. He's a phenomenal hitter... Got stuck behind Pujols at 1B, so they started playing him anywhere they could- just to get him AB's. He was wretched at 2B, he couldn't turn a double play on a paraplegic... And they KNEW this. But they had to cram him in somewhere because he's a legit 90/30/100/.300 guy if he can get a full season of AB's.
ccates21
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby drifter4life » Sat May 12, 2012 3:31 am

Sweet.
Yeah, 3 2B's & 4 HR's with OPS 1.2+ in first 8 games back. I picked him up a week before he came off DL in all 3 of my leagues. Not sure what I'd read about him but I just had a feeling. I have a lot Cardinals spread over all my teams and they're all killing it right now.

Man, I wish I was a Cards fan. I was born & raised in San Diego and being a diehard Padres fan is a difficult lifestyle, hahahaa....

Thanks again...
drifter4life
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions