5/10 Cheering, Venting and "As the Closer Blows" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

5/10 Cheering, Venting and "As the Closer Blows"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 5/10 Cheering, Venting and "As the Closer Blows&quo

Postby bayside » Thu May 10, 2012 10:10 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:I think Quentin is the key in the deal. looks like he will be back either this weekend or next week at least. from what I read PETCO should not limit his power numbers as some might think. along with Konkerko I give up Parra and Campana. I read Chris Young is going on rehab assignment soon, so once Young returns then Parra is back to the bench. Campana can steal and score some runs, but he has no power. plus I assume at some point the Cubs are going to want to bring up Brett Jackson, who would replace Campana. I'm not concerned about losing 2 OF, I still have Adam Jones, Torii Hunter, Dirks, Dyson, Brantley, David Murphy, and Alex Presley. this is a 16 team keeper league where we keep 5. I was not going to keep Konerko anyway and knew I was planning on trading him at some point to help me. I have Billy Butler to use at 1B. Quentin himself could come closer to the power numbers Konerko offers.
I've even considered maybe using Jansen to flip to someone else for a solid closer plus an upgrade somewhere else.

Petco will limit his power output to some extent (and hes not some prodigious power hitter to begin with - hes only hit over 26 once in his career), but the more important factor is that his runs/rbis will take a huge hit. The Pads have the worst offense in baseball. I would much rather have the upside of Campana and Parra over the known mediocrity, and huge injury risk, of Quentin.

But the more important factor imo is that Konerko is really really good.
in a league that big there are at least 8 teams really hurting at 1B.
You should have been able to get a closer like Kimbrel or Axford AND another throw in upside piece.
Last edited by bayside on Thu May 10, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Re: 5/10 Cheering, Venting and "As the Closer Blows"

Postby garf112 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:11 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:I think Quentin is the key in the deal. looks like he will be back either this weekend or next week at least. from what I read PETCO should not limit his power numbers as some might think. along with Konkerko I give up Parra and Campana. I read Chris Young is going on rehab assignment soon, so once Young returns then Parra is back to the bench. Campana can steal and score some runs, but he has no power. plus I assume at some point the Cubs are going to want to bring up Brett Jackson, who would replace Campana. I'm not concerned about losing 2 OF, I still have Adam Jones, Torii Hunter, Dirks, Dyson, Brantley, David Murphy, and Alex Presley. this is a 16 team keeper league where we keep 5. I was not going to keep Konerko anyway and knew I was planning on trading him at some point to help me. I have Billy Butler to use at 1B. Quentin himself could come closer to the power numbers Konerko offers.
I've even considered maybe using Jansen to flip to someone else for a solid closer plus an upgrade somewhere else.

Sorry, that is an awful trade for you. Why do people have such a low opinion of Konerko?
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Re: 5/10 Cheering, Venting and

Postby thatguy27 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:11 pm

bayside wrote:well at least it wasnt a clean inning for Soriano and he gave up a run.
Hope its still Robertson Time!

hiiigh fiive!

Agreed. If I had to guess, Robertson will get the next save opp. Even if we include his past two outings, he has still been the far superior pitcher thus far in the season. I just hope he has the mental toughness to bounce back from those poor outing and right the ship in the high pressure situations.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Re: 5/10 Cheering, Venting and "As the Closer Blows"

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu May 10, 2012 10:12 pm

Dirks with a HR. I love this guy in the 2 spot, hope he runs with it for the rest of the season. batting in front of Cabrera and Fielder. bonus!
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 83)

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu May 10, 2012 10:26 pm

I felt a lot better with the trade earlier, now I'm not sure. I still love the potential.
I'm not buying what Konerko is doing this season. this high AVG will not last. he has .363 BABIP. he had .383 AVG in April, and .250 AVG in May. I don't think the White Sox lineup is really that good for him to have great R/RBI. his protection is AJ Pierzynski and then Alex Rios. he has Adam Dunn batting in front of him. I think his numbers could be similar to last season, around 30 HR but with less RBI maybe around 90. still good, but I don't think Quentin can be far off from what Konerko will have. I think Quentin can average around 5 HR a month, so there's 20+ for the rest of the season.
I lose 2 throw in players, 1 eliminated once I activate Quentin from the DL, then I have a free roster spot to play with. there's a risk on both Quentin and Jansen, but with my team I wasn't going to win this season without taking a risk.
this is my first season in this 16 team keeper league. the 5 keepers I started the season with before the draft were Konerko, Ryan Zimmerman, Dan Uggla, David Price, Brandon Beachy. I was able to draft Butler along with Adam Jones.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 83)

Postby Tennessee Jed » Thu May 10, 2012 10:38 pm

If Kipnis keeps this up he's gonna be a top 5 2B next year, possibly even breaking into the top 3
Tennessee Jed
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby benb18a » Thu May 10, 2012 10:43 pm

Yeah he seems to be very solid in every single category, consistent taters and steals. He's doing exactly what Rickie Weeks can do :,-(
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby AussieDodger » Thu May 10, 2012 11:26 pm

Wow the Twins are 8-23 8-o 8-o :-°

How clueless was Bill Smith as a GM? (Use the Bavasi scale and show your working)
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby bayside » Thu May 10, 2012 11:44 pm

benb18a wrote:Yeah he seems to be very solid in every single category, consistent taters and steals. He's doing exactly what Rickie Weeks used to do, for a half season at a time. :,-(

;-D
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby garf112 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:58 pm

benb18a wrote:Yeah he seems to be very solid in every single category, consistent taters and steals. He's doing exactly what Rickie Weeks can do :,-(

and being less of a jerk about it, too.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers