5/10 Cheering, Venting and "As the Closer Blows" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

5/10 Cheering, Venting and "As the Closer Blows"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 5/10 Cheering, Venting and "As the Closer Blows"

Postby thatguy27 » Thu May 10, 2012 9:28 pm

Why is Brett Lawrie not in the 2 hole? Seems like the perfect place for him. I find it extremely frustrating.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 5/10 Cheering, Venting and

Postby bayside » Thu May 10, 2012 9:34 pm

E5 comes up with runners on 1st and 2nd and hits an epic drive to deep catcher, scoring Escobar from 2B.
not everyday do you get an rbi on an infield hit when theres not even a runner on 3rd.
clearly, this is his year.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bayside » Thu May 10, 2012 9:36 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:my night may have gotten better. I just pulled off a trade in my 16 team keeper league. I give up Paul Konerko along with Geraldo Parra and Tony Campana, and get back Kenley Jansen and Carlos Quentin. my only other closers were Casilla and Thayer, plus I have Butler at 1B.

Konerko seems like a huge price to pay for a closer who does not even have an iron lock on the job.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu May 10, 2012 9:39 pm

bayside wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:my night may have gotten better. I just pulled off a trade in my 16 team keeper league. I give up Paul Konerko along with Geraldo Parra and Tony Campana, and get back Kenley Jansen and Carlos Quentin. my only other closers were Casilla and Thayer, plus I have Butler at 1B.

Konerko seems like a huge price to pay for a closer who does not even have an iron lock on the job.

I can't see Guerra getting that job back. it should have been Jansen last year and then even to start this year. great great K rate with good ERA/WHIP. he's the future there for the Dodgers.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 103)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu May 10, 2012 9:44 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:
bayside wrote:

I can't see Guerra getting that job back. it should have been Jansen last year and then even to start this year. great great K rate with good ERA/WHIP. he's the future there for the Dodgers.

I agree i think you paid a kings ransom here.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 377)

Postby bayside » Thu May 10, 2012 9:45 pm

ya he SHOULD be the future (and probably will be), but how often do we see managers do things that make absolutely no sense?
I just wouldnt feel comfortable giving up known production at a level like Konerko's for any closer, let a lone one who was JUST given the job and has coughed up that very job in the past.

on another note, who else i praying that Soriano comes in for the save and gets absolutely lit up?
Robertson owners unite!
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu May 10, 2012 9:49 pm

I think Quentin is the key in the deal. looks like he will be back either this weekend or next week at least. from what I read PETCO should not limit his power numbers as some might think. along with Konkerko I give up Parra and Campana. I read Chris Young is going on rehab assignment soon, so once Young returns then Parra is back to the bench. Campana can steal and score some runs, but he has no power. plus I assume at some point the Cubs are going to want to bring up Brett Jackson, who would replace Campana. I'm not concerned about losing 2 OF, I still have Adam Jones, Torii Hunter, Dirks, Dyson, Brantley, David Murphy, and Alex Presley. this is a 16 team keeper league where we keep 5. I was not going to keep Konerko anyway and knew I was planning on trading him at some point to help me. I have Billy Butler to use at 1B. Quentin himself could come closer to the power numbers Konerko offers.
I've even considered maybe using Jansen to flip to someone else for a solid closer plus an upgrade somewhere else.
Last edited by SpecialFNK on Thu May 10, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 103)

Postby thatguy27 » Thu May 10, 2012 9:52 pm

bayside wrote:on another note, who else i praying that Soriano comes in for the save and gets absolutely lit up?
Robertson owners unite!

This guy. ;-D :highfive:
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bayside » Thu May 10, 2012 10:03 pm

well at least it wasnt a clean inning for Soriano and he gave up a run.
Hope its still Robertson Time!

hiiigh fiive!
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thatguy27 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:09 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:I think Quentin is the key in the deal. looks like he will be back either this weekend or next week at least. from what I read PETCO should not limit his power numbers as some might think. along with Konkerko I give up Parra and Campana. I read Chris Young is going on rehab assignment soon, so once Young returns then Parra is back to the bench. Campana can steal and score some runs, but he has no power. plus I assume at some point the Cubs are going to want to bring up Brett Jackson, who would replace Campana. I'm not concerned about losing 2 OF, I still have Adam Jones, Torii Hunter, Dirks, Dyson, Brantley, David Murphy, and Alex Presley. this is a 16 team keeper league where we keep 5. I was not going to keep Konerko anyway and knew I was planning on trading him at some point to help me. I have Billy Butler to use at 1B. Quentin himself could come closer to the power numbers Konerko offers.
I've even considered maybe using Jansen to flip to someone else for a solid closer plus an upgrade somewhere else.

I don't think it's a bad trade per se as others have claimed. I do think it's a huge gamble that may or may not pay off. You know exactly what you're going to get from Konerko (but if, as you seem to have indicated, he is wasting away on your bench, his value to you is far less than it is to someone else). Jansen's ratios and K rate are absolutely sick, and if he can continue to post similar numbers in the ninth, he may very well be among the top 5 closers in baseball, if not the best, for the remainder of the season. However, it's hard to know how a setup men will adjust to the added pressure of being given the ninth, when everything is on the line. He may excel. He may not. It all depends on his mental toughness. Look at what has happened to David Robertson. He may turn it around, he may not. But to have the season he was having and then all of a sudden have a lackluster performance followed by a complete meltdown when given the ninth, there is certainly some cause for concern.

In any case, assuming Jansen excels in the ninth, I still take Konerko any day of the week. So, if that was all there was to it, from a strict player to player value standpoint, you lose. But not by a ton, and your team's situation makes it such that while you lose from a value standpoint, you win insomuch as you've made your team better.

As you said, Quentin is the wild card in this trade and the player who will ultimately determine who wins from a pure value standpoint (I personally consider Parra and Campana as nothing but throw-ins). If Quentin can come back and hit like the Quentin we once loved, or even at say 80% of that level, I think you are the winner on paper, and certainly from a standpoint of what the trade did for your team.

I applaud you for going against the grain, making a move that is likely to be receive negatively by the fantasy baseball masses, and making a very risky trade in an effort to better your team.. ;-D
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers