Last Place... :( Help! WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Last Place... :( Help! WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Last Place... :( Help! WHIR

Postby letmehearucaw » Wed May 09, 2012 1:16 pm

I'm in a 12 team roto league that uses 10 catagories - BA, HR, RBI, R, SB, ERA, WHIP, K, W, and S.

Here's my roster (there are no bench spots):

A. Avila C
J. Montero C
M. Teixeira 1B
B. Phillips 2B
M. Moustakas 3B
A. Cabrera SS
E. Aybar MI
C. Pena CI
A. Rios OF
R. Braun OF
A. Jackson OF
M. Carpenter OF
G. Parra OF
D. Fowler U

S. Marcum P
B. Colon P
T. Cahill P
J. Putz P
T. Lincecum P
J. Motte P
G. Balfour P
M. Buehrle P
D. Smyly P

I'm currently in last place and I can't figure out why. Maybe I have some misconceptions about the strength of my lineup or rotation? Any suggetions for improvements and/or trades I could make would be much appreciated.
letmehearucaw
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Last Place... :( Help! WHIR

Postby GAC8666 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:22 pm

I dont think your rotation is very good at all. I like Colon and am a big fan of "BFBC" but he is my 6th starter behind (CC, Shields, Gallardo, Wainwright, Cahill then Colon). Right now he is one of your better pitchers. Tex is struggling (I also have him) at 1B which is hurting you a bit. Its tough though because I do think you have a solid team and shouldnt be in last place. I do think you should stay the course.

Maybe trade Braun for a better pitcher and a lesser OF?
GAC8666
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby letmehearucaw » Wed May 09, 2012 1:33 pm

GAC8666 wrote:I dont think your rotation is very good at all. I like Colon and am a big fan of "BFBC" but he is my 6th starter behind (CC, Shields, Gallardo, Wainwright, Cahill then Colon). Right now he is one of your better pitchers. Tex is struggling (I also have him) at 1B which is hurting you a bit. Its tough though because I do think you have a solid team and shouldnt be in last place. I do think you should stay the course.

Thanks for the input. I'm hesitant to trade Braun because I don't know of a pitcher who matches his value (kershaw, weaver?) . I figured my rotation wasn't fantastic but thought it was manageable.

Also, what is BFBC?
letmehearucaw
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby GAC8666 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:36 pm

letmehearucaw wrote:
GAC8666 wrote:I dont think your rotation is very good at all. I like Colon and am a big fan of "BFBC" but he is my 6th starter behind (CC, Shields, Gallardo, Wainwright, Cahill then Colon). Right now he is one of your better pitchers. Tex is struggling (I also have him) at 1B which is hurting you a bit. Its tough though because I do think you have a solid team and shouldnt be in last place. I do think you should stay the course.

Thanks for the input. I'm hesitant to trade Braun because I don't know of a pitcher who matches his value (kershaw, weaver?) . I figured my rotation wasn't fantastic but thought it was manageable.

Also, what is BFBC?

"Big Fat Bartolo Colon" ;-D

Is it Roto or H2H? My thought on Braun is that if you deal him for an OF and a SP and they get you to no longer last place then its better than you are right now. Braun is great, and we all love him but there is no way he can carry your team Roto (maybe in H2H). IMO if your in last everyone is on the trading block. You cant be more last place. So if you botch the Braun deal and it doesnt work out who cares?
GAC8666
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby letmehearucaw » Wed May 09, 2012 1:40 pm

ha ha ha BFBC.....

Yeah I just put him on the trading block. I've been pretty patient with the team so far hoping they get rolling. But Lincecum hasn't done much and neither has cahill or marcum. The only pitching change I've made was to pick up Smyly and Sale.
letmehearucaw
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby GAC8666 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:43 pm

In my VERRRRYYY humble opinion I think Roto is all about consistency across the board. Its more of a plug and a grind than H2H which is all about monster games and weeks. So if you have Braun who is great.. and your SP or other batters are killing you it doesnt really matter because he cant carry a whole category. Like I said earlier I just dont see Braun carrying you the whole year. And you dont really have a true Ace or even a #2 SP IMO.
GAC8666
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby converge241 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:44 pm

Avila, Aybar, Lincecum have had bad starts. Tex not starting well (what else is new he always starts slow). Some of them will rebound an that will help.

The staff aside from a fully functioning lincecum doesnt seem strong enough for a 12 team in general (though yes I see its big lineups). If this was a 14 or 15 team it would look that much better its just a relative in scope thing. You need to keep mining the wire for some SP gems to help lift the staff and then to another extent some waiver wire hitting gems (im guessing parra was one hes been good!)

Wait til June or right before to think about trades I would hold tight on a major shakeup

Come that time you need to stop and say "maybe I need a restock by shipping a braun" like the other poster said but these folks might start to right themselves before hand in addition to some solid pickups

Where there is no bench there must be some quality on the wire 276 players owned that you just have to keep watching and catch lightning

viewtopic.php?t=446470
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby letmehearucaw » Wed May 09, 2012 1:50 pm

converge241 wrote:Avila, Aybar, Lincecum have had bad starts. Tex not starting well (what else is new he always starts slow). Some of them will rebound an that will help.

The staff aside from a fully functioning lincecum doesnt seem strong enough for a 12 team in general (though yes I see its big lineups). If this was a 14 or 15 team it would look that much better its just a relative in scope thing. You need to keep mining the wire for some SP gems to help lift the staff and then to another extent some waiver wire hitting gems (im guessing parra was one hes been good!)

Wait til June or right before to think about trades I would hold tight on a major shakeup

Come that time you need to stop and say "maybe I need a restock by shipping a braun" like the other poster said but these folks might start to right themselves before hand in addition to some solid pickups

Where there is no bench there must be some quality on the wire 276 players owned that you just have to keep watching and catch lightning

viewtopic.php?t=446470

So it looks like Kyle Lohse and Chris Capuano are free to pick up. Who should I drop for them? Cahill, Marcum, Smyly, Buerle? I think Linc has just had a bad first month..
letmehearucaw
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby converge241 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:57 pm

I agree totally on Lincecum, he had a slow start last year IIRC? or a bad patch

I think you need to get one on of those trains or both

Where are you in saves? Might be worth getting off saves for a while make up ground in SP stats and with all the closer volatility this year you could re-add some saves later. Might be too radical right now but just throwing it out there.

Id drop Buehrle and one closer (balfour?) to add both of them while they are doing so well. In a league with no bench youre going to have to constantly ride those hot hands and adjust and im GUESSING other owners are making similar cuts because if someone is slumping you cant just bench them and swap someone else in so the wire should always be reloading. If youre worried at all about taking your foot off the closer gas pedal just swap buehrle for lohse or capuano but be ready to move on if they slump.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby letmehearucaw » Wed May 09, 2012 2:03 pm

I'm third in saves right now with Motte and Putz. I just picked up sale and dropped balfour. The league I'm in right now charges $2 for each transaction. I'm trying to balance spending the money with performance. I'll drop buerle since he's pitching well but not getting much support from the new Miami Marlins. I thought they'd be doing way better and getting him some wins.
letmehearucaw
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions