Addison Reed?? What is the word..should I grab him. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Addison Reed?? What is the word..should I grab him.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Addison Reed?? What is the word..should I grab him.

Postby Eastman19 » Wed May 09, 2012 10:04 am

I am thinking Addison Reed is going to be closing. This kid is lights out....Sale I believe will be back in the rotation. I think they are pulling what Texas is doing with Feliz....Any word out there? I want to grab this guy before everyone else does.

1b- Hosmer
2b- Kipnis
3b- Arod
SS- A. Cabrera
C- M Montero
OF- Cargo
OF- Justin Upton
OF Beltran
DH- Dunn
bench- Trout, Shin shoo Choo, Moustakas, Trumbo

SP- Cliff Lee
SP- Shields
SP- Romero
SP- Strasburg
SP- Wainwright
SP- DHolland
RP- Papelbon
RP- League
RP- Sale
Bench- Johan Santana, Feiri, Heath Bell
Eastman19
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Addison Reed?? What is the word..should I grab him.

Postby Mjbren1 » Wed May 09, 2012 10:24 am

The Sale move isn't because they needed him as a closer it's because he has shoulder pain and it doesn't look like his form will allow him to pitch the innings of a starter and they stated this week they are making the move to prolong his career. Reed has 2 saves this week and it looks like it's his kind of like Guerra had it for LA, screw up and you lose it.
Mjbren1
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Eastman19 » Wed May 09, 2012 10:27 am

So get Reed and drop who? Fieri (how ever you spell it) or someone else....This Reed kid can pitch.
Eastman19
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 9)

Postby converge241 » Wed May 09, 2012 10:29 am

They probably pushed Sale by asking him to go 2 but sale IS the closer right now. COuld that change down the line (injury ineffectiveness- sure!). Theres just so many options int he CWS bullpen. They have 5 guys who can close for them or other teams so there may not be much rope all year for any of them if theres problems.

if you really have to have him though Downs is scheduled to be back as soon as today so I can see a drop of "Guy" Fieri for him
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby GAC8666 » Wed May 09, 2012 10:59 am

Eastman19 wrote:So get Reed and drop who? Fieri (how ever you spell it) or someone else....This Reed kid can pitch.

He has ability there is no doubt that bullpen in CHI is just so packed with guys. I dont see Reed getting any real time closing. They moved Sale one of their best SP to the bullpen to close not to be a setup guy. Thornton gets paid a ton, and I dont think they will just let him pitch when they are down. I expect them to deal him at some point. You still have Santiago there that has closed on games.
GAC8666
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby converge241 » Wed May 09, 2012 2:12 pm

URGENT UPDATE - White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper told Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio that Chris Sale will undergo an MRI on his left elbow.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby gravenewworld » Wed May 09, 2012 2:18 pm

Matt Thornton is going to close before Reed. I know Reed gets hype because he is a rookie and is showing some flash, but Thorton is going to take the role.
gravenewworld
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby GAC8666 » Wed May 09, 2012 2:36 pm

gravenewworld wrote:Matt Thornton is going to close before Reed. I know Reed gets hype because he is a rookie and is showing some flash, but Thorton is going to take the role.

I think Thornton is in Ventura's dog house. I have recently dropped Thornton in a league. I dont know.. you could be right but something gives me the idea that he wont close.
GAC8666
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby gravenewworld » Wed May 09, 2012 3:32 pm

Put it this way, how examples are there of rookies that walk on to the big show and start closing withing 2 months and actually keep the job (the only one I can think of right now is Bailey)? What if Reed hits a bump in the closer role? Do the White Sox really want to destroy their prized rookie's confidence or groom him slowly? Could they even trust him in the playoffs yet? These are reasons why I think teams usually opt for a veteran with at least some experience in high pressure situations.
gravenewworld
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions