Trade Argument - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trade Argument

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade Argument

Postby Disrespect » Wed May 09, 2012 3:41 am

Hi guys having a bit of an argument in my league with a mate (the commissioner)

The two of us started a league as mad baseball fans however he invited some of his friends who know alot less about baseball than us. After Swishers big game a while back (2 HR 6 RBI) I tried with one of his mates to trade Swisher for Felix Hernandez as I thought I'd be a chance to sell high as he doesn't know much. The commissioner shut down the trade telling his mate Swisher wasn't a long term prospect and he could get a better OF of the FA list fine...

The commissioner just put this deal through with his mate

Commissioner Gives up: Verlander, Felize, Andrus, Valverde & Zobrist

His mate gives him: Felix Hernandez, Braun & Stanton.

My claim to him was he can easily replace Felize and Valverde's output with free agents so is essentially taking no loss, stanton for Andrus I'd say 50/50 but then that leaves giving Zobrist for Braun which I think is a massive gain.

My point of view is that he's capitalised on another players lack of knowledge to gain a huge advantage in the trade essentially coming down to Zobrist for Braun while at the same time negating my ability to make the equivalent gains of said player. Such transaction would only limit competitiveness of the league and make everyone lose interest.

His claim is his trade is fair, Whereas the Swisher/Hernandez trade was not.

Am I crazy?

Thanks.
Disrespect
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade Argument

Postby weareallkipnises » Wed May 09, 2012 3:49 am

You are not crazy. I'd be pretty mad too. Your logic is solid and he's clearly using his position as commissioner/the other person's friend to his advantage, and your disadvantage. I'd be willing to say Hernandez for Swish is more fair than Zobrist for Braun.

But I guess what can you do?
C Wieters
1B Freeman
2B Pedroia
3B M. Cabrera
SS Castro
MI Kipnis
CI Konerko
OF CarGo Gordon Allen Trout Morse Ellsbury(DL)
UT Butler

SP Greinke McCarthy Gonzalez Hammel Bumgarner J.Johnson Samardzija
RP Street Chapman Aceves Soriano
weareallkipnises
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kaiser » Wed May 09, 2012 7:41 am

Yeah, I have to agree. On the surface, you could make an argument in defense of the trade. But the guy giving up Felix and Braun is absolutely getting jobbed.

However, judging from the past history you described, and the fact that the commish has decided that he can judge the "fairness" of all trades, he is using that power to his advantage. If the league doesn't protest, you just have to bail on that league.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 307)

Postby MaudDib » Wed May 09, 2012 9:47 am

I would be furious. The Commish shouldn't have the ability to stop one trade but then allow his to go through. I would be out of that league pretty quick unless there could be some sort of way to not let one person be the ruler of things.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Disrespect » Thu May 17, 2012 9:04 am

Commissioner has just accepted another trade from his mate

Commissioner gives up: Cano, Michael Young
Commissioner receives: Kemp, Votto

I'm pretty much ready to leave the league across the two trades. I don't deny all are good players but I feel he's taking two upgrades on this trade as well and just pilfering anything good his mate has.

Wanted your opinions on whether storming out of the league is too harsh of a reaction?
Disrespect
T-Ball Trainer

Postby kaiser » Thu May 17, 2012 10:22 am

Disrespect wrote:Commissioner has just accepted another trade from his mate

I'm pretty much ready to leave the league across the two trades. I don't deny all are good players but I feel he's taking two upgrades on this trade as well and just pilfering anything good his mate has.

Wanted your opinions on whether storming out of the league is too harsh of a reaction?

Yes. Honestly, I hate to say it, but there is something wrong going on in this league. There is no justification for that trade, in my opinion. Couple that with the earlier lopsided deal, and I think it is time to go. Collusion may not be provable in this case, but if it looks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck...
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 307)

Postby MaudDib » Thu May 17, 2012 12:41 pm

kaiser wrote:
Disrespect wrote:Commissioner has just accepted another trade from his mate

Yes. Honestly, I hate to say it, but there is something wrong going on in this league. There is no justification for that trade, in my opinion. Couple that with the earlier lopsided deal, and I think it is time to go. Collusion may not be provable in this case, but if it looks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck...

Agreed. The trades aren't horrible but if he cancelled your trade and then pulled off a few with the same owner. It looks really bad on the commish and I would find a new league. Might not be able to happen this year but I would make it clear to the commish that next year you are out because he is being a weasel.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions