Redefining the fantasy game for H2H - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Redefining the fantasy game for H2H

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Redefining the fantasy game for H2H

Postby brock middlebrook » Tue May 08, 2012 9:07 am

Having played for a few years in a couple of different formats, I had a few thoughts on how to make the H2H format more realistic
The biggest issue is pitching. It seems silly to have H2H matchups where the two teams do not have an equal number of starts. Some leagues have anti-streaming rules...but the two-start pitchers are alwats hot commodities, and why not when a decent two-start week from the likes of a Homer Bailey can neutralize the opponents Roy Halladay. Here is a radical proposal (which means most people will hate it)

1. 6 day matchups. This significantly reduces the occurence of two-start pitchers
2. Each players picks 5 and only/exactly 5 starts for his mathup. Not 5 starters, but 5 starts.

These two would mean that most fantasy teams would migrate to the 5 or 6 starters that MLB does. Most matchups, your starter goes once. Extra innings could be accumulated by middle relievers, but their stats would not count for games they start, only relief appearancs.

3. Lineup slot for one, maybe two closers. Saves only count for RP's designated as your closer.
4. Weekly linup for RP's -- these would be your middle relievers and you would have 3-5 slots.

thoughts
brock middlebrook
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Redefining the fantasy game for H2H

Postby GAC8666 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:15 am

I dont hate your idea.. but I think managing the WW and finding the pitching matchups and "streaming" pitchers is all part of the H2H game. I like that aspect of it. Who is going to do the research and find the hidden gem that has the good 2 start week should be rewarded.

On the flip side of your argument the team that has more starts would win (different stats for different leagues but Im just using my leagues) IP K W but the team that say only started 2 guys (true Aces) could easily win BB WHIP ERA k/9 and OBA. Obviously saves and holds would be a different discussion. But I think the streaming pitchers can be counter acted by managing your roster to the other extreme.
GAC8666
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mkultra » Tue May 08, 2012 9:29 am

The underlying principle is sound, but I don't think it's very workable.

Your biggest challenge is going to be finding a site that supports this format. Also, 6-day matchups would seem like a huge logistical pain- it'd be hard to know at any given time when your next scoring period starts. You could probably do a "pick your start" format by manually adjusting scores, but that generates a lot of work for the commish.

On a more high-minded note, I question whether this:
brock middlebrook wrote:I had a few thoughts on how to make the H2H format more realistic

is even a worthy goal at all. Fantasy Baseball is not baseball, but a separate game played with MLB stats.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby Ender » Tue May 08, 2012 9:55 am

I think it would be easier to go with 2 week matchups. I always feel like the better team has a better shot in the finals and the rest of the playoffs are just random and the big difference is that the finals are usually 2 weeks long. When you get an all star break week or the first week of the season the results are more or less just random.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby GRIN » Tue May 08, 2012 10:25 am

mkultra wrote:The underlying principle is sound, but I don't think it's very workable.

Your biggest challenge is going to be finding a site that supports this format. Also, 6-day matchups would seem like a huge logistical pain- it'd be hard to know at any given time when your next scoring period starts. You could probably do a "pick your start" format by manually adjusting scores, but that generates a lot of work for the commish.

On a more high-minded note, I question whether this:
brock middlebrook wrote:I had a few thoughts on how to make the H2H format more realistic

is even a worthy goal at all. Fantasy Baseball is not baseball, but a separate game played with MLB stats.

With all due respect, please don't apply your objective to others. Fantasy Baseball is fairly customizable to what you want it to be. Some of us want it to be as realistic as possible. For example: playing H2H, incorporating Holds and fielding metrics. It brings enjoyment in that it mimics the decisions real MLB general managers have to face. Real MLB general managers with "better" teams sometime lose regular season series to "lesser" teams. They need bullpen depth. And they need good fielders.

It may be a separate game, but some of us like to play it as close to the real game as we can - a worth goal indeed if that is what you like.
20 team baseball H2H keeper league
14 team basketball H2H keeper league (looking for expansion teams)
20 team hockey H2H keeper league
MLB Beat the Streak
ESPN Streak for the Cash
GRIN
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 8)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue May 08, 2012 11:39 am

Ender wrote:I think it would be easier to go with 2 week matchups. I always feel like the better team has a better shot in the finals and the rest of the playoffs are just random and the big difference is that the finals are usually 2 weeks long. When you get an all star break week or the first week of the season the results are more or less just random.
We are trying 2 week matchups throughout the entire playoffs in my main league this year, shortening the regular season to 18 weeks, to see how it shakes out. I'm pretty excited for it.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby mkultra » Tue May 08, 2012 12:39 pm

GRIN wrote:With all due respect, please don't apply your objective to others. Fantasy Baseball is fairly customizable to what you want it to be. Some of us want it to be as realistic as possible. For example: playing H2H, incorporating Holds and fielding metrics. It brings enjoyment in that it mimics the decisions real MLB general managers have to face. Real MLB general managers with "better" teams sometime lose regular season series to "lesser" teams. They need bullpen depth. And they need good fielders.

It may be a separate game, but some of us like to play it as close to the real game as we can - a worth goal indeed if that is what you like.

Adding fielding metrics or holds doesn't make the game more "realistic", it's just adding more stats into the mix. Real baseball doesn't give points for anything but runs scored. Unless there's a tie, your team only uses one starter and gets 8.5 or 9 innings total. There is no MI, CI, or 4th OF. You can't swap in bench players mid-game. The list goes on.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with wanting to incorporate additional dimensions of "real" baseball into your fantasy game, but you should do it because they're interesting things to follow, not because you think they'll make your game more like "real" baseball or make you think more like a "real" GM, because it won't.

"Real" baseball is the goal of Strat-o-Matic, where you actually play out games based on player stats.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby Pochucker » Tue May 08, 2012 1:18 pm

There are several ways to maximize h2h leagues. First 12teams split into two 6 team divisions. We call them winners and losers div.

The top three teams from each div form the winners div following year and opposite for bottom three teams.
Use 21 week reg season sched. You play your div 3times other div once.
Use 5 weeks for playoffs. Top three from each div. Reg season div winners get bye first round which is only one week
2nd rd is two weeks Div winners versus surviviors of 1st rd.
Championship round is two weeks and losers from 2nd week also play for 3rd and 4th

We have some money in our league so we reward our reg season div winners 250 plus they are guaranteed finishing no lower than 4th in playoffs which is another 125-150.

Our winner gets 500+ transaction fees which is another 450-550
2nd in playoffs gets 300-350

Drawback is since MLB changed start dates we end up with two short weeks to get 21 reg season weeks.

Best team doesent always win (won last 13reg season weeks couple yrs ago but got "Tolouw'ed" in playoffs) Best team doesent always when in MLB either

Couple notes on strategy (weekly changes) its h2h you match up against you opponent.
Streaming pitchers guarantees you one thing --Ks. Wins are hot a given. And more borderline pitchers you use more apt to have crappy era and whip. If someones streaming against you --dont try and match starts -use best pitchers and best matchups. Hold your own in pitching and beat them offensively.

Remember it does you no good to beat someone 20sb to 5 or 20hr to 5. Its one point either way. Adjust lineup to opponent, look at hitter/pitcher matchups.

We use specific of positions which also enhances experience
6man bench and 3 dl slots
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby footballisbetter.com » Tue May 08, 2012 1:29 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Ender wrote:
We are trying 2 week matchups throughout the entire playoffs in my main league this year, shortening the regular season to 18 weeks, to see how it shakes out. I'm pretty excited for it.

We are trying the same things in my h2h points league. Should make the playoffs run much better, and not just the guy with the most starts, wins.
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 92)

Return to Baseball Leftovers