FA Advice, Sell Highs, Buy Lows - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

FA Advice, Sell Highs, Buy Lows

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

FA Advice, Sell Highs, Buy Lows

Postby Axis of Honor 25 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:55 am

While there has been some panic stricken to fantasy owners due to the anemic April month in which not only did we witness the worst (and hopefully last) Albert Pujols drought in his career, struggles of Max Scherzer, Zack Greinke, and the most recently demoted closer Heath Bell, there are others who have emerged as legit fantasy candidates. For those who are concerned about their players who have thus far not met expectations, here are some options for you. All will be rated using the famous Coldstone creamery's witty size categories.

Gotta Have It

Jason Hammel
I recently have had a conversation with Neato Torpeado (for those who don't know this user, he is one of the respected regulars on the forum), and we both believe that Jason is exactly what he is painting himself to be and is the real deal. Most of us are familiar with Fangraphs so I'll save some time with most of the stats and only point out what counts here, and that's certainly his increase in velocity and has new approach on the mound with his 2 seamer/slider combo. The improved set of repertoires Hammel possesses held the Yankees and Red Sox to a total of 4 runs in his starts, 2 of which could have been avoided in the Boston start. However thanks to Baltimore’s bullpen this not the case. Regardless both starts came on the road and totaled 14 strikeouts in both. Hammel also is riding an ungodly GB% of 61, and an increased SwStr% of 9.6%. A 3 point jump from last year. As a result of all improvement, Hammel’s SIERA now hovers at 2.75. If you haven’t added Jason to your lot yet, I highly recommend picking him up pronto.

Love It

Ronny Paulino
Ok, the dude’s 1% owned in Yahoo! Leagues. But this is another pitcher that most should consider picking up. He doesn’t have a flashy name and also plays in Kansas City, but he has repertoires to be a top pitcher for the Royals rotation. Flashes of his potential popped up on the radar last season in which he posted a SIERA of 3.65 and a 45% GB%. His velocity hovers around 95/96 mph and a pretty devastating slider 23.7 total wSL in his career. The one pitch that has given him trouble has been his fastball, but they may or may not have something to do with him throwing it almost 50% of the time and his slider 25% of the time. He throws a curveball and change-up, but hardly uses them. Until he starts using a third pitch effectively and more often I’m not exactly going to call him ace material, but he definitely has the potential. In his defense he did just transition from the bullpen to the rotation and is in his first full season as a starter. He should be a decent option going forward; I’d give him a couple years to develop. If you’re still not sure of picking him up, keep an eye on him over his next couple starts as he isn’t that popular yet.

Like It

Mark Reynolds
Yeah, I still have confidence in this guy as horrifically bad he’s been. He just recently muscled out two homers over the previous four games, so there are some signs that he’s heating up. The question is if your desperation for power is that great because as usual he will punt your average pretty well. So choose carefully if he’s right for your team. He is notorious as a slow starter, but the runs, homers and RBI are rewarding if you can take the hit in AVG. He’s been dropped by several teams since the beginning of the year, so he’s only about 53% owned in Yahoo! Leagues right now.

Sell Highs

Adam Dunn
He screams sell high at the moment, and I highly suggest that you ship him off to somebody pretty quick. Let’s face it, he’s not the same guy who hit two 3 run homers off Clayton Kershaw in the same game back 2010. The guy is raking … against rightes. All his homers are against righties, 99% of his hits are against righties, and only has 1 hit versus lefties. The White Sox have faced a lot of righties lately so it’s definitely helped his market, but until he starts proving he can hit lefties and soon, I’d ship him (like I am now). Somebody who has proven to be a star and is struggling right now could be a nice replacement in a trade… Mark Texieria or Adrian Gonzalez anybody.

Buy Lows

Heath Bell
Haha Cishek is not gonna be the closer for too long. It’s almost a sad joke that Bell was removed from the closer role. Then again Ozzie Guillen isn’t the brightest and they did say it was a temporary basis. Why they are panicking this early in the season, I don’t know. Bell will be dominant once again, he just needs to find his control because right now it’s as crazy as his profile picture.

Albert Pujols
This slump is so unrealistic and shouldn’t last too much longer. I mean you have to be really skilled a being bad to have a season long slump like Adam Dunn last season. He would definitely be a person I’d shoot for in exchange for a hot commodity like Pedro Alvarez. I still don’t think he’s the real deal.
Axis of Honor 25
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: FA Advice, Sell Highs, Buy Lows

Postby fade2red » Tue May 08, 2012 2:14 am

Should be Felipe Paulino.

Thanks to The Artful Dodger for the awesome sig!

108-70-14 (2nd/12)

Anyone wanna start a $ keeper/dynasty for 2013? PM me
fade2red
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby GAC8666 » Tue May 08, 2012 8:25 am

Been trying to buy low on Pujols but the owner isnt budging. I was able to pick Jordan Schafer and Cody Ross up off the WW and was able to flip them while they were both still playing well and got some value back from them. (Schafer for Trumbo and Cody Ross and Chris Perez for Melky Cabrera and Jon Rauch (Which I cut for Enresto Frieri). Pretty happy with both of those trades.
GAC8666
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Inukchuk » Tue May 08, 2012 3:20 pm

Axis of Honor 25 wrote:struggles of... Zack Greinke

He's currently sporting a 2.18/2.75 FIP/xFIP and he's punching out a batter per inning. While his ERA might make it seem like he's struggling, he's actually doing quite well. He could make for an interesting buy low...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby NikkiSixx » Tue May 08, 2012 4:36 pm

Just dont play Adam Dunn against lefties, but as long as he is in the 3 hole in chicago, I dont mind keeping him.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 433)

Postby Ender » Tue May 08, 2012 4:38 pm

I just traded for Pujols and Greinke in one league so I like it!

I would be bending over backwards doing everything in my power to sell Dunn if I owned him. If he can't break .240 while he is hot just how terrible is he going to be when he slumps. I'd be doing everything in my power to find the guy who trusts Mark Reynolds in my league too though, he is a legit .220 hitter and the power just doesn't offset it enough to make him very valuable and if he does slump again soon he will lose his job.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers