Will Middlebrooks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will Middlebrooks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Will Middlebrooks

Postby kab21 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:54 am

The elephant in the room is still the awful plate discipline. We've seen young players that had very good plate discipline completely fall apart in their rookie or sophomore seasons. without making a top 15 list my gut says that he will probably be around #15 because there are a lot of Alberto Callaspo types out there. Overall he's a guy that I want to take a flier on as a bench player (upside) but I would be very scared to draft him as a starter.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 187)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:08 am

If he has the starting job in that Boston lineup then without a doubt I will be targeting him in next years draft. Frazier is another 3b I will be looking at closely in 2013 should he be the starter for the Reds. I would be more than happy with them as my 3rd baseman if I can acquire them in the double digit rounds.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 35)

Postby Izenhart » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:02 pm

Frenchiegangsta9 wrote:If he has the starting job in that Boston lineup then without a doubt I will be targeting him in next years draft. Frazier is another 3b I will be looking at closely in 2013 should he be the starter for the Reds. I would be more than happy with them as my 3rd baseman if I can acquire them in the double digit rounds.

I see Middlebrooks compare to Trumbo quite well. Maybe not exacly stat for stat but they are the same type of player to me.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 301)

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:01 pm

Thats actually a pretty good comp Izenhart, including tempered expectations.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 35)

Postby wrveres » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:08 am

And the smartest man in the room is .....

kab21 wrote:I predict a lot of disappointment regarding Middlebrooks in the future (real life and fantasy). the 5+:1 K:BB ratio is scary. Luckily he is only 23 but unfortunately he's shown contact issues at every level.

kab21 wrote:Middlebrooks is a .250-.260 hitter until he starts K'ing less. He's a prime case of a player that is going to struggle now that teams have gotten a look at him. The power is real though.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 744)

Will Middlebrooks

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:55 am

He just, frankly, isn't all that good. He is a really marginal MLB player in regards to all 5 tools. I'll admit that in his first month of MLB ball I was all over him like a freight train with stickum, but in the last years worth of at-bats, I've see nothing more than an ok player that should be a pinch hitter if there is a sub with the hot hand. Above, there was an Alberto callaspo comparison. I think that fits pretty well.

The first person that comes to my mind when watching him is carney lansford, if anyone remembers watching that dude..
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 182)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:23 am

WMB>Panda
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 213)

Postby kab21 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:42 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:He just, frankly, isn't all that good. He is a really marginal MLB player in regards to all 5 tools. I'll admit that in his first month of MLB ball I was all over him like a freight train with stickum, but in the last years worth of at-bats, I've see nothing more than an ok player that should be a pinch hitter if there is a sub with the hot hand. Above, there was an Alberto callaspo comparison. I think that fits pretty well.

The first person that comes to my mind when watching him is carney lansford, if anyone remembers watching that dude..

I'm not sure who you are watching if you think a Callaspo comparison is fair. These guys are polar opposites.

I mentioned Callaspo as the type of 3Bman that Middlebrooks ranks above by default. Callaspo completely sucks in fantasy. Middlebrooks at least has upside.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 187)

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:22 pm

kab21 wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:He just, frankly, isn't all that good. He is a really marginal MLB player in regards to all 5 tools. I'll admit that in his first month of MLB ball I was all over him like a freight train with stickum, but in the last years worth of at-bats, I've see nothing more than an ok player that should be a pinch hitter if there is a sub with the hot hand. Above, there was an Alberto callaspo comparison. I think that fits pretty well.

I'm not sure who you are watching if you think a Callaspo comparison is fair. These guys are polar opposites.

I mentioned Callaspo as the type of 3Bman that Middlebrooks ranks above by default. Callaspo completely sucks in fantasy. Middlebrooks at least has upside.

yeah.. Callaspo is like a .275, 10hr, type of guy. I just think its a decent comparison because Middlebrooks is completely lame. Callaspo may be a bit more sucky, but they they both sit in the sucky to super sucky tier.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 182)

Postby Surfs up » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:44 am

Middlebrooks is a like a candle in the wind. :-°
Surfs up
General Manager