Will Middlebrooks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will Middlebrooks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Will Middlebrooks

Postby Izenhart » Sat May 26, 2012 10:58 am

KSig24 wrote:I thought that we should revisit this topic now that things have cooled off a bit. My overall assessment of Middlebrooks is that his plate discipline needs some work, and he is very aggressive in situations where he should be, but better pitchers are exploiting his overly aggressive nature by thowing off the plate and getting young Will to chase. He does however sport some serious pop and a full season with his potential could yield upwards of 30 homers. After watching him quite a bit, what excites me is how hard he rips the ball on the screws for singles, doubles etc. He also gives us great positional eligibility and isnt afraid to run a little.

Overall I am going to hang on to him in my keeper league because I think that he may be what my Sawx need and the changing of the guard is imminent. Youk will most likely be shopped to make room for Will.

I was going to come in here to say just about exactly the same things. spot on. also the fact he is getting more playing time because Ross is on the DL, and I expect something to change when he comes back. Holding for now even in non keeper leagues.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 301)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Minneapolis Millers » Sun May 27, 2012 10:39 am

Glad I found this thread. What do people think of Middlebrooks's staying power this season? I've been offered Will for W.Betemit in a fairly deep AL-only league. I'm leaning toward accepting because Betemit doesn't play every day and isn't all that good anyway. But I hate giving away at bats and am worried that WM could be heading back down, potentially as soon as Kalish or Sweeney is ready. Your thoughts?
Minneapolis Millers
T-Ball Trainer

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sun May 27, 2012 11:33 am

I don't know what kind of availability there is at CI/3B in your league, but I think the upside of Middlebrooks is worth giving up Betemit for pretty much regardless. Yes, he could be sent down and he has cooled off a little bit, but he is 15 for his last 46 including 8 for his last 20 so he might be ripe for another power outburst.

I'm platooning him with David Freese right now to pretty good results.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby Cream » Mon May 28, 2012 8:59 am

CBMGreatOne wrote:I don't know what kind of availability there is at CI/3B in your league, but I think the upside of Middlebrooks is worth giving up Betemit for pretty much regardless. Yes, he could be sent down and he has cooled off a little bit, but he is 15 for his last 46 including 8 for his last 20 so he might be ripe for another power outburst.

I'm platooning him with David Freese right now to pretty good results.

Yeah, the sox have also demonstrated that they are going to do their best to keep him in the lineup. It's not often that a team moves an all-star/gold glove 1B to RF in Fenway, so that's gotta tell you something. It'll be interesting how they deal with him once the OF starts getting healthy.
Cream
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 24)

Postby rib217 » Mon May 28, 2012 1:01 pm

going forward who has the most fantasy value/skill set for 2012? Middlebrooks or Adams?
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Element » Thu May 31, 2012 5:40 pm

From Rotoworld ...

Will Middlebrooks took grounders at shortstop Thursday.
Very interesting. It seems the Red Sox are just looking at him as an emergency option in light of Dustin Pedroia's thumb injury. If needed, Middlebrooks could play shortstop while Mike Aviles would slide over to second base. It's not clear whether Pedroia will require an extended absence or not, so the Red Sox will go with Nick Punto at second base and Aviles at shortstop for now. Middlebrooks has never played a professional game at shortstop, so we wouldn't bank on this actually happening.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 789)

Postby footballisbetter.com » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:46 pm

Red Sox are telling teams they definitely looking to trade Kevin Youkilis.

Source: Dan Knobler
Jun 01, 2012 / 11:25 AM EST

;-D
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 154)

Postby kab21 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:31 pm

footballisbetter.com wrote:Red Sox are telling teams they definitely looking to trade Kevin Youkilis.

Source: Dan Knobler
Jun 01, 2012 / 11:25 AM EST

;-D

Of course they will trade him. He can't hack it at 3B and they have a replacement even if that replacement is probably going to struggle. Middlebrooks has a 7:1 K:BB ratio with a .400 BAPIP. I think he'll finish with a <.300 OBP this year.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:40 pm

rib217 wrote:going forward who has the most fantasy value/skill set for 2012? Middlebrooks or Adams?

I still like Middlebrooks over Adams long term. Adams has more regular at bats right now, but with Craig coming back in STL, that advantage could be reversed as the Sox are looking to trade Youk. Will has shown more albeit in a small sample size. I expect that he'll be a top 10 3B option the rest of the way.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:12 am

the Red Sox should trade Youkilis. one of the teams interest is the Diamondbacks, and apparently they rejected giving up Gerardo Parra for Youkilis.
According to Jack Magruder of FOX Sports Southwest, the Red Sox asked for Gerardo Parra in exchange for Kevin Youkilis during trade negotiations earlier this month.
The Diamondbacks love Parra's defense, the strides he's taken offensively and the fact that he's cost-controlled, so they politely declined Boston's request. It's possible that talks will heat up and that the Red Sox will drop their asking price as the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline approaches. But Parra is unlikely to be involved.

to me this doesn't make sense. Parra isn't even a regular in an OF that has Upton/Young/Kubel. it's not like Arizona needs Parra to back up the OF. their current 3B Ryan Robers could be super utility player getting regular/semi regular playing time at multiple different positions.

maybe DBacks are looking more at how Youkilis is struggling this season? maybe hard for the Red Sox to get proper value for Youkilis who pretty much sucks right now.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 103)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers