Left with left hamstring tightness according to ESPN's box score
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Will Middlebrooks

Postby thatguy27 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:42 pm

Tennessee Jed wrote:What has Youk done in the past 10 or so months that guarantees him a starting gig? If I'm Bobby V, I'm playing the better option, and right now it's Middlebrooks. Wally Pipp'd.

Agreed. And based on what went down earlier in the year, I doubt Bobby V has any sense of loyalty to Youk just because he happens to be the veteran incumbent. As long as Middlebrooks is raking, it would be foolish to remove him from the lineup. Hell, let Youk be the utility man--over his career he's manned every position save for SS, CF, and C. You don't take one of the hottest hitters in baseball out of the lineup just because the veteran he replaced, inferior in every regard, and to whom the manager has shown no real allegiance, nor has any reason to do so, comes off of the DL.

I for one think moving Middlebrooks to the OF would be a terrible idea. He has always been a 3B--take his natural position away from him and who knows how it might affect the rest of his game. Baseball players are funny like that. For the most part they dislike change--routine is very important to many of them and the smallest change can really mess with their head and hence their performance. If, for example, he is moved to the OF and struggles, all of a sudden he might have a confidence issue which could very easily carry over to the offensive side of the game. Think about it... Would you feel more comfortable at the plate having just made a nice play at your natural position to end the previous inning or having committed an error at an unnatural position that led to one or more unearned runs being scored in that inning. The answer is obvious, obviously, as the question was rhetorical. So much of baseball is mental and small changes can have very undesirable effects in the mentality/mental toughness of a given player. Moving from the position you've played your entire life to a position you've never played is a large change and in this case not even remotely worth making, let alone considering.

Bottom line. As long as the kid is hitting and fielding his position well, don't change a thing. Youk is owed nothing, and given the new manager, has not yet earned anything.

Just my 2 cents.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed May 09, 2012 7:35 am

Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said Kevin Youkilis (back) will retain his job as the starting third baseman when he's healthy, despite the strong start for Middlebrooks (hamstring), the Boston Globe reports.

Spin: The logical question is then what to do with Middlerbooks, who has given the Red Sox lineup some life with seven extra-base hits in four games. Cherington said having Middlebrooks play the outfield is unlikely.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 377)

Postby kage812004 » Wed May 09, 2012 7:42 am

BigZ38 wrote:Left with left hamstring tightness according to ESPN's box score

does this kid want to keep the job? this is twice now, play through it freaking babies!!
GO SOX!! GO PATS!!
kage812004
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby GAC8666 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:10 am

Just drop Cashner for him. I need some more pop and RBI at the CI spot. I wouldnt mind him getting hot so I could deal him. Well see.
Last edited by GAC8666 on Wed May 09, 2012 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
GAC8666
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby converge241 » Wed May 09, 2012 9:19 am

Did you mean you dropped cashner for him?
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 101)

Postby GAC8666 » Wed May 09, 2012 9:40 am

converge241 wrote:Did you mean you dropped cashner for him?

haha yea I got that backwards. The hammy bothers me a bit, but he is just a bench bat and hopefully he can provide some depth and even trade bait later in the year. He has just been hitting so well I cant see Bobby V sitting him full time when Youk comes back.
GAC8666
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Saltydog » Wed May 09, 2012 11:09 am

I think Bobby V's gonna realize real quick, if he hasn't already that Cody Ross, Marlon Byrd and Darnell McDonald are really Cody Ross, Marlon Byrd and Darnell McDonald.
Saltydog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 142)

Postby GAC8666 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am

Saltydog wrote:I think Bobby V's gonna realize real quick, if he hasn't already that Cody Ross, Marlon Byrd and Darnell McDonald are really Cody Ross, Marlon Byrd and Darnell McDonald.

So who is the better OF option between Middlebrooks and Youk?
GAC8666
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Wed May 09, 2012 12:11 pm

I'd probably move Youkilis to OF if there was no egos involved but they will move the young guy I'm sure. The big mistake was moving Youk off of 1B in the first place, he has never been able to stay healthy and playing 3B is a lot harder on your body than 1B.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers