Will Middlebrooks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will Middlebrooks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Will Middlebrooks

Postby BigZ38 » Mon May 07, 2012 11:25 pm

Hit 2 bombs tonight. Book on this guy was that when he got to the majors, he would hit. Problem was that the positions he could play are filled by Youklis, Adrian Gonzalez and Ortiz. His minor league stats show he only ever played third. Any chance his bat forces the Sox to try him in the outfield?
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Will Middlebrooks

Postby Izenhart » Mon May 07, 2012 11:47 pm

Any chance he retains the starting job when Youk comes back?
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 286)

Postby thatguy27 » Mon May 07, 2012 11:51 pm

Guy is beasting right now... Reminds me of when Bruce was first called up. Bruce's numbers from his first week in the bigs:

7 games: 3 HR's, 3 2B's, 7 RBI's, 12 Runs, 2 SB's, 6 BB's, .577 AVG, .667 OBP, 1.038 SLG, 1.705 OPS.

He did slow down after that, significantly so, but still had a very solid rookie season.

Anyway, I think right now might be a good time to sell on Middlebrooks. I'm not saying he's going to fall on his face, but he obviously won't keep up this pace, and there will surely be some bumps in the road. He's no doubt legit. What's sexier than a stud prospect coming up and immediately raking? I'm sure there is that one owner in every league who just needs to have this guy and will give up a king's ransom to get him. (Obviously in keeper or dynasty league, the above does not apply).
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby clarkw267 » Tue May 08, 2012 4:09 am

I was about to come to post a topic about this guy...

What is going to happen when Youk comes back? Can you really take a kid that has been RAKING in AAA and so far in the majors and just send him back down when Youk and the offense as a whole was struggling?

His BA has gone up at every stop, with the exception of his first stint in AAA, but he came back and torched AAA to start this season. I really don't know what to make of this situation
clarkw267
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 10)

Postby thedude » Tue May 08, 2012 7:51 am

Middlebrooks is the superior defensive player (despite the two errors he has committed), so he is the player who SHOULD stay at third. Nevertheless Youkilis is the established star, so I have no idea what the team will do.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue May 08, 2012 2:30 pm

Can the guy play any other position? He's not gonna break into any of the following 1B, DH, 2B, SS, and I would think CF, but what about a corner outfield spot? If this kid is for real, the Red Sox lineup figures to be ridiculously stacked once they're all healthy.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby felixthecat011 » Tue May 08, 2012 4:35 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:Can the guy play any other position? He's not gonna break into any of the following 1B, DH, 2B, SS, and I would think CF, but what about a corner outfield spot? If this kid is for real, the Red Sox lineup figures to be ridiculously stacked once they're all healthy.

Sox fan here, and I'm hearing whispers they may try him in left.They may try to shop Youk, but nt sure what kind of market there is out there right now. Obviously the further the Sox sink (below .500) the more likely they are to play Middlebrooks over Youk.
felixthecat011
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kage812004 » Tue May 08, 2012 4:46 pm

as a Sox fan and not a big fan of the team this year, its just not a likable team but they better keep this kid up, i have him on both fantasy teams and he deserves to stay if he keeps hitting like this. im tired of these over payed babies, having a young kid up like this is exciting
GO SOX!! GO PATS!!
kage812004
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby wazzeus » Tue May 08, 2012 6:21 pm

I'm drinking the Kool-Aid. Especially since Rotoworld just reported this:

Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine told reporters Tuesday that the idea of using Will Middlebrooks in the outfield has been discussed internally.
Middlebrooks hasn't played anywhere but third base in his professional baseball career, but he's raking to the tune of a 1.361 OPS and the Red Sox are going to want to keep him in their starting lineup even when Kevin Youkilis (back) returns. Multiple position eligibility is always a welcome thing in fantasy leagues. And Middlebrooks should maintain a good deal of fantasy value if he continues to see regular playing time.

:-L

Fantasy lottery ticket, thy name is Will Middlebrooks.
wazzeus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue May 08, 2012 6:54 pm

Considering I just added him in a league where I already have Encarnacion, Freese, and Chipper, a move to the OF sounds incredibly appealing about right now. I should still be able to find a spot for him most days for the time being, but I'd obviously start all 4 of them (along with AGonz at 1B, thus no EE there) if I could.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers