Which SP to add Chris Capuano or Jason Hammel - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Which SP to add Chris Capuano or Jason Hammel

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which SP to add Chris Capuano or Jason Hammel

Postby nickels2012 » Mon May 07, 2012 3:14 pm

Or Ryan Dempster?

Do I add more than one of these and drop Marcum or Latos? Or reliever Kenley Jensen?
C Mesoraco
1B Cabrerra
2B Kipnis
3B Beltre
SS Reyes
OF Ellsbury Rios Puig
DH Ortiz
UT Kinsler
Tulo DL
Bruce
Gattis
Castro
DL Mauer Springer

SP Wainwright Bumgarner Cueto Fister Latos
RP Robertson Cishek Rosenthal
BN Samardzija Lester Kluber
DL Cole
nickels2012
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 41)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Which SP to add Chris Capuano or Jason Hammel

Postby MaudDib » Mon May 07, 2012 5:37 pm

None of those are worth dropping. It is between Hammel and Dempster. I would probably take Dempster because he has a better track record but I do like Hammel but again not over any of those other three. Latos shouldn't even be considered a player to drop.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby USBlues19 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:12 pm

MaudDib wrote:... Latos shouldn't even be considered a player to drop.

Really? Uh oh. I droppped him a couple weeks back and no one has picked him up yet.

I'm in a small league (as I mentioned in my crazy "drop josh johnson?" thread), so there's always talent on the waiver wire.

This is my first time playing fantasy baseball and it's tricky since most of the advice you can read on the interwebs doesn't really apply to my league. There are always a handful of players owned in 100% of leagues available on the waiver wire. eg current pitchers avail:

PLAYER, TEAM POS %OWN +/-
Shaun Marcum, Mil SP 100 0.5
Jon Lester, Bos SP 100 0
Tommy Hanson, Atl SP 100 0
Jaime Garcia, StL SP 98.8 -1.2
Chad Billingsley, LAD SP 95.1 -4.6
Vance Worley, Phi SP 93.2 -0.7
Mat Latos, Cin SP 90.8 0.1
Jason Hammel, Bal SP 88.9 29.4
Doug Fister, Det SP 86.6 18.2

If it's okay if I piggy back on this thread, any thoughts on playing in a small league / using the waiver wire as your bench? At what point do you cut a struggling "un-cuttable" player when there's another good player available who's hot?
USBlues19
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby MaudDib » Tue May 08, 2012 3:29 pm

USBlues19 wrote:
MaudDib wrote:... Latos shouldn't even be considered a player to drop.

Really? Uh oh. I droppped him a couple weeks back and no one has picked him up yet.

I'm in a small league (as I mentioned in my crazy "drop josh johnson?" thread), so there's always talent on the waiver wire.

This is my first time playing fantasy baseball and it's tricky since most of the advice you can read on the interwebs doesn't really apply to my league. There are always a handful of players owned in 100% of leagues available on the waiver wire. eg current pitchers avail:

PLAYER, TEAM POS %OWN +/-
Shaun Marcum, Mil SP 100 0.5
Jon Lester, Bos SP 100 0
Tommy Hanson, Atl SP 100 0
Jaime Garcia, StL SP 98.8 -1.2
Chad Billingsley, LAD SP 95.1 -4.6
Vance Worley, Phi SP 93.2 -0.7
Mat Latos, Cin SP 90.8 0.1
Jason Hammel, Bal SP 88.9 29.4
Doug Fister, Det SP 86.6 18.2

If it's okay if I piggy back on this thread, any thoughts on playing in a small league / using the waiver wire as your bench? At what point do you cut a struggling "un-cuttable" player when there's another good player available who's hot?

A lot depends on what size league you are in and the format. Do lineups change daily or weekly or bi-weekly? Do you have start limits? With that much talent on the waiver wire, you should be streaming pitchers like crazy. Almost all of those pitchers should be owned in anything bigger than an 8 team league. I also wouldn't have many if any bats on the bench. If a league is shallow enough you can find something off the waiver wire to fill in if a guy gets hurt where I would much rather have a lot of SP that I can shuffle in and out.

With that WW, Latos isn't a bad drop but it is crazy that your WW is that deep.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions