Cole Hamels hit Bryce Harper, on purpose - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cole Hamels hit Bryce Harper, on purpose

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cole Hamels hit Bryce Harper, on purpose

Postby grizfan » Tue May 08, 2012 6:06 pm

I just want to mention one more thing, and after this many posts it is funny that this was not mentioned. If you look at where he was actually hit, it wasn't just a harmless pitch to the back. It was a 93 MPH fastball to the kidney area. There is a reason that kidney punches are not allowed in boxing. It can be very dangerous. I know that there is a risk of being hurt any time a batter steps in, but purposely drilling someone in this area should not be taken lightly, and despite what anyone says it could have been a big deal. Fortunately, he was fine, but like someone else said, it will not be forgotten.
grizfan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bwanna » Tue May 08, 2012 6:09 pm

How much $ is Hamels losing during this suspension? He's getting $15mil for 2012, right? That's $92,593 per game, or $462,963 over 5 games, right? Pushing back his start won't hurt the Phillies much, but almost half a million has to sting a bit (I'm not sure my numbers are correct.)

Also, interesting perspective from Leyland...

Jim Leyland wrote:http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... b&c_id=mlb

SEATTLE -- Tigers manager Jim Leyland is considered an old-school manager by many, but he considers Cole Hamels' move to hit Bryce Harper with a pitch anything but that. Leyland told Tigers play-by-play broadcaster Dan Dickerson on his regular pregame radio show that he would have suspended Hamels for at least 15 games.

Major League Baseball suspended Hamels for five games on Monday.

"I don't know the man," Leyland said of Hamels. "I know he's a very good pitcher, a very talented guy, but when you come out and admit [hitting Harper intentionally] like that -- that ball could have missed, hit him in the head or something else like that -- and you come out and admit that, I think five games is way too light, in my personal opinion. And I would expect that if that was my pitcher, if my pitcher went out and, almost in a braggadocious way, talked about hitting a guy and that, 'I did it on purpose.'

"I felt the way I read it, and I don't know if the kid meant it this way, but it was almost like a braggadocious thing. That's not enough. There's no way."

Leyland, who works with MLB on its Special Committee for On-Field Matters, continued:

"It upsets me because if you watch Major League Baseball, a lot of times one of your guys hits [a batter], one of their guys hits [a batter], the umpires are very quick to warn both benches about a situation like that," Leyland said, "and a lot of times there's nothing going on at all, but they just want to stop something before it starts. ... This is a great time ... to show that we mean business, and I think this suspension is way, way too light."

Leyland went on to say that the preemptive warning "becomes a joke. Let's tell it like it is."
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue May 08, 2012 6:18 pm

Bwanna wrote:How much $ is Hamels losing during this suspension? He's getting $15mil for 2012, right? That's $92,593 per game, or $462,963 over 5 games, right? Pushing back his start won't hurt the Phillies much, but almost half a million has to sting a bit (I'm not sure my numbers are correct.)

Also, interesting perspective from Leyland...

Jim Leyland wrote:http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... b&c_id=mlb

SEATTLE -- Tigers manager Jim Leyland is considered an old-school manager by many, but he considers Cole Hamels' move to hit Bryce Harper with a pitch anything but that. Leyland told Tigers play-by-play broadcaster Dan Dickerson on his regular pregame radio show that he would have suspended Hamels for at least 15 games.

Major League Baseball suspended Hamels for five games on Monday.

"I don't know the man," Leyland said of Hamels. "I know he's a very good pitcher, a very talented guy, but when you come out and admit [hitting Harper intentionally] like that -- that ball could have missed, hit him in the head or something else like that -- and you come out and admit that, I think five games is way too light, in my personal opinion. And I would expect that if that was my pitcher, if my pitcher went out and, almost in a braggadocious way, talked about hitting a guy and that, 'I did it on purpose.'

"I felt the way I read it, and I don't know if the kid meant it this way, but it was almost like a braggadocious thing. That's not enough. There's no way."

Leyland, who works with MLB on its Special Committee for On-Field Matters, continued:

"It upsets me because if you watch Major League Baseball, a lot of times one of your guys hits [a batter], one of their guys hits [a batter], the umpires are very quick to warn both benches about a situation like that," Leyland said, "and a lot of times there's nothing going on at all, but they just want to stop something before it starts. ... This is a great time ... to show that we mean business, and I think this suspension is way, way too light."

Leyland went on to say that the preemptive warning "becomes a joke. Let's tell it like it is."
The figure I read this morning was $409,835. Compare that to the fact that the NFL's James Harrison has been fined a grand total of $198,529 over his entire career.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed May 09, 2012 4:47 am

this was touched upon earlier, but never brought back up. Hamels intentionally hit Harper for whatever reason he felt was necessary. Zimmermann hit Hamels as well, and it was 100 % intentional. Shouldn't he be suspended as well?

the stupidest part of this is Hamels losing the money from the suspension. i bet he didnt think of that, though i'm pretty sure the money goes toward charity of some sort, and Hamels is one of the most charitable players in baseball so i doubt he minds. plus he goes home to this...

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed May 09, 2012 8:24 am

Snakes Gould wrote:this was touched upon earlier, but never brought back up. Hamels intentionally hit Harper for whatever reason he felt was necessary. Zimmermann hit Hamels as well, and it was 100 % intentional. Shouldn't he be suspended as well?

the stupidest part of this is Hamels losing the money from the suspension. i bet he didnt think of that, though i'm pretty sure the money goes toward charity of some sort, and Hamels is one of the most charitable players in baseball so i doubt he minds. plus he goes home to this...

Zimmerman SHOULD be suspended, but the fact that he wasn't doesn't change the fact that Hamels' punishment was far too lenient.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers