Cole Hamels hit Bryce Harper, on purpose - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cole Hamels hit Bryce Harper, on purpose

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cole Hamels hit Bryce Harper, on purpose

Postby MashinSpuds » Tue May 08, 2012 10:03 am

smoovethug wrote:
bayside wrote:That is just plain ignorant.

bayside wrote:I hope he gets a Saints style bounty put on his ass.
Maybe Gio or Strasburg will put one on his ear or pitching elbow next series to show him "how the game is played".

Oh the irony.

:-D
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 149)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AHF » Tue May 08, 2012 10:38 am

bigh0rt wrote:
bayside wrote:
smoovethug wrote:Oh the irony.

Maybe you missed the part where he publicly admitted that he purposely threw at Harper?
Or maybe you just misunderstand the word "irony".
So it's not the act of purposely hitting someone that's the problem, but admitting it publicly that is?

Not to speak for bayside, but it appears his argument is that hitting someone on purpose for no real reason is the problem. When you are retaliating for your teammate being hit it isn't an issue. When you decide, "I want to send a message so I will throw a 90+ mph pitch at Player X" that becomes a problem.
AHF
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 77)

Postby GAC8666 » Tue May 08, 2012 10:55 am

I cant believe this thread made it 6 pages.
GAC8666
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Skin Blues » Tue May 08, 2012 11:02 am

Really, you can't believe it? Top prospect in baseball beaned for no reason, admittedly, by one of the best pitchers in baseball. And then he goes on to steal home in the same inning. I can see why you're shocked that people are talking about it ;-7
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 526)

Postby GAC8666 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:13 am

Skin Blues wrote:Really, you can't believe it? Top prospect in baseball beaned for no reason, admittedly, by one of the best pitchers in baseball. And then he goes on to steal home in the same inning. I can see why you're shocked that people are talking about it ;-7

I just wish we could talk about some closers! ;-D
GAC8666
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue May 08, 2012 2:29 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I'm not "old school" at all. You want to put the kid in his place then strike him out. Throwing at him, especially at the start of the game is just cowardly.

This. Hamels is an idiot IMO.

Generally I don't think throwing at batters on purpose is ever warranted. Strike him out if you want to show him up. But for Hamels to then go on the record and proclaim himself "old-school" is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. I'm glad Harper stole home on him and I hope he takes him yard next time he faces him.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)

Postby GAC8666 » Tue May 08, 2012 2:41 pm

IMO its like a nickname.. no matter how cool your nickname is you cant give it to your self or tell people that you did. If Hamels wants to be "old school" and hit the rookie who is a showman I have no problem with that. But you dont talk about it afterwards. You just do it.

Dont tell us how big and bad you are just be big and bad.
GAC8666
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue May 08, 2012 2:51 pm

GAC8666 wrote:IMO its like a nickname.. no matter how cool your nickname is you cant give it to your self or tell people that you did. If Hamels wants to be "old school" and hit the rookie who is a showman I have no problem with that. But you dont talk about it afterwards. You just do it.

Dont tell us how big and bad you are just be big and bad.

why? How does throwing at somebody who is standing still prove anything? I can probably hit Harper with a baseball if he wasn't trying to avoid it. What's hard is striking him out. Do something that takes skill, try to show that you are better than him.

The only reason to intentionally hit him is to try to injure him. If you are using a weapon to try to injure an unsuspecting person then you are a punk.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue May 08, 2012 2:52 pm

btw - for all the people who say that this is "sending a message" The only message it sends to me is that he doesn't think that he can get the guy out.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby GAC8666 » Tue May 08, 2012 2:55 pm

why? How does throwing at somebody who is standing still prove anything? I can probably hit Harper with a baseball if he wasn't trying to avoid it. What's hard is striking him out. Do something that takes skill, try to show that you are better than him.

The only reason to intentionally hit him is to try to injure him. If you are using a weapon to try to injure an unsuspecting person then you are a punk.

I notice you have a Phuenef jersey in your sig, so your obviously a hockey fan. So in hockey if there was an up and coming show boating player the other team wouldnt check him extra hard or even fight him to put him in his place? I think there is no doubt he would.

Same thing in basketball where the fouls are just alittle extra hard.
GAC8666
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers