Cole Hamels hit Bryce Harper, on purpose - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cole Hamels hit Bryce Harper, on purpose

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cole Hamels hit Bryce Harper, on purpose

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon May 07, 2012 3:07 pm

lane_anasazi2 wrote:
hot4tx wrote:I thought it was dumb for Hamels to admit throwing at him, but I really really thought that was funny and it effectively was another stab at Harper. Should be suspended 5 or so games, but it's not like he was trying to injure (head hunting). I really also liked the ump not warning the benches until Hamels could be plunked. I hate it when they warn immediately before the other team has a chance to get one back, that makes it linger more IMO. Lastly, the fact that Harper took the extra base and then stole home was great. Good baseball all 'round. ;-D

I agree with this. The novelty of the situation isn't that Harper got hit intentionally, it's that Hamels had the stones/lack of brains to just come out and say it. There is something dumb about that, but there's also something admirable about that.

I really appreciate the honest, no-BS attitude that Hamels is putting forth. I'd actually do the exact same thing in his situation. Gained a bit of respect for Hamels for admitting it.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon May 07, 2012 5:22 pm

5 games.
MLB suspended Cole Hamels for five games and fined him an undisclosed amount for intentionally throwing at Nationals' outfielder Bryce Harper during Sunday's game.
Hamels hit Harper with a fastball in the first inning of Sunday's game and later admitted that it was intentional. The suspension is the appropriate course of action here, though it's hardly a severe punishment, as his next start will merely be pushed back by a day. No word yet on whether he intends to appeal.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 91)

Postby Bwanna » Mon May 07, 2012 5:27 pm

5 day suspensions are goofy for starters.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st]
123Innings '08 [1st/1st], '09 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/4th], '12 [4th/2nd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Cool 3.0 '08 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 262)

Postby grizfan » Mon May 07, 2012 6:27 pm

So, for drilling someone for no reason and then talking about it he will get an extra day of rest and start Sunday against San Diego instead of Saturday.
grizfan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon May 07, 2012 7:16 pm

I'm not "old school" at all. You want to put the kid in his place then strike him out. Throwing at him, especially at the start of the game is just cowardly.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Izenhart » Mon May 07, 2012 10:05 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I'm not "old school" at all. You want to put the kid in his place then strike him out. Throwing at him, especially at the start of the game is just cowardly.

It's cowardly unless you really believe the kid deserves to get hit. Then it's just baseball.

Honestly the suspension only happened because Hamels opened his mouth and said it was on purpose. That's what made the whole thing dumb. MLB has to suspend him now or people will start thinking its okay to throw at and hit people without consequence. Next thing you know someone will say "I'm going to hit so-and-so in my next start." A line needs to be drawn somewhere. Hamels crossed it. If he had just kept his mouth or denied it was a purpose pitch there would be no suspension. So why did he say it? Because it bothered him so much that Harper beat him, he used the media as a way to slap the kid in the face. Which kind of backfired on him and just made him look dumb.

Harper 2, Hamels 0.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 302)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon May 07, 2012 10:37 pm

I think Hamels would have been suspended whether he admitted it or not. Ubaldo Jimenez hit Tulowitzki in spring training and said he didn't do it on purpose, but he was still suspended. you could pretty much tell by the video it was on purpose and not oops I pitched too far inside.

there should be a different rule for suspensions for pitchers compared to position players. if a position player gets suspended 5 games, then he misses 5 games in which he would have played it. if a pitcher gets suspended, he doesn't miss any start in the rotation. he just pitches one day later, which could happen at different times during the season for starting pitchers anyway when teams have off days and pitchers go on the 6th day. that's not even a slap on the wrist, that's nothing.
it should be one missed start in the rotation on a suspension for a starting pitcher.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 91)

Postby benb18a » Mon May 07, 2012 10:57 pm

Yeah his body language after the pitch was "just another day at the office," to me. Suggesting he felt exactly how he explained, that it was deliberate, as it was just a part of the game.

So is there an actual excuse for this, or is Hamels just a complete douchebag?
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Cole Hamels hit Bryce Harper, on purpose

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon May 07, 2012 11:16 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:I think Hamels would have been suspended whether he admitted it or not. Ubaldo Jimenez hit Tulowitzki in spring training and said he didn't do it on purpose, but he was still suspended. you could pretty much tell by the video it was on purpose and not oops I pitched too far inside.

there should be a different rule for suspensions for pitchers compared to position players. if a position player gets suspended 5 games, then he misses 5 games in which he would have played it. if a pitcher gets suspended, he doesn't miss any start in the rotation. he just pitches one day later, which could happen at different times during the season for starting pitchers anyway when teams have off days and pitchers go on the 6th day. that's not even a slap on the wrist, that's nothing.
it should be one missed start in the rotation on a suspension for a starting pitcher.

pitchers only play in 30-35 games a year. Missing one start means the same thing to the player and team as a position player missing 5 games.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Postby benb18a » Mon May 07, 2012 11:20 pm

I think starters should get a 9 game suspension. That way they actually miss one start for sure, instead of possibly circumventing the suspension by merely pushing him back one day, which is perfectly possible if there is an off day in there.
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers