Cole Hamels hit Bryce Harper, on purpose - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cole Hamels hit Bryce Harper, on purpose

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cole Hamels hit Bryce Harper, on purpose

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon May 07, 2012 9:15 am

this about Cole Hamels.
Cole Hamels admitted after Sunday night's game that he threw at Bryce Harper on purpose.
Hamels struck Harper in the lower back in the first inning with a 92 mph fastball. It certainly looked intentional, and the left-hander admitted later that it was. I was trying to hit him. I’m not going to deny it. It’s something I grew up watching. That’s what happened. I’m just trying to continue the old baseball. Some people get away from it." Harper had the last laugh, advancing from first base to third base on a Jayson Werth single before stealing home. Hamels could be facing a suspension.

Hames needs to be suspended, and not just a slap on the wrist 5/6/7 days that starting pitchers get. he needs minimum 1 turn missed in the rotation. 10 days at least, closer to 15 would be better. Hamels sent his message to Harper, time for baseball to send it's message to Hamels!

what is Hamels problem with Harper? that Harper likes to have fun playing the game of baseball?

I own Hamels on one team, and still want to see him miss a good amount of time with a suspension.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cole Hamels hit Bryce Harper, on purpose

Postby grizfan » Mon May 07, 2012 9:18 am

I completely agree and just posted on the other Bryce Harper thread. Not cool, but it was good to see Harper steal home and get another hit after it happened. :-)
grizfan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby CadensDad » Mon May 07, 2012 9:19 am

Why? Have players not been sending messages for years? Harper is the most hyped rookie player since ARod. Hamels was welcoming him to the show. I think he should get 5 games for his actions but 10? 15? or more? NO! It's not like he threw at his head.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby J35J » Mon May 07, 2012 9:24 am

CadensDad wrote:Why? Have players not been sending messages for years? Harper is the most hyped rookie player since ARod. Hamels was welcoming him to the show. I think he should get 5 games for his actions but 10? 15? or more? NO! It's not like he threw at his head.

+1
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 387)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon May 07, 2012 9:26 am

CadensDad wrote:Why? Have players not been sending messages for years? Harper is the most hyped rookie player since ARod. Hamels was welcoming him to the show. I think he should get 5 games for his actions but 10? 15? or more? NO! It's not like he threw at his head.

he admitted to hitting on purpose, and it wasn't welcome to the big show kid hope turn into a star and live up to the hype. it was because of the way Harper plays.
a 5 game suspension for a starting pitcher really isn't a suspension at all. lets say MLB suspends Hamels for 5 games. Hamels appeals the suspension and continues to pitch. once Hamels pitches a game he drops the appeal and then misses the next 5 Philadelphia Phillies games. so really all that happens is Hamels will pitch on the 6th day instead of the 5th day.
all suspensions for starting pitchers should be 1 turn missed in the rotation, not this BS where they just get pushed back 1 or 2 days.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby MashinSpuds » Mon May 07, 2012 9:31 am

SpecialFNK wrote:

he admitted to hitting on purpose, and it wasn't welcome to the big show kid hope turn into a star and live up to the hype. it was because of the way Harper plays.

Completely disagree. Why would someone admit to plunking someone and then lie about why they did it? Why not just lay it all out there, since he knows he'll likely get suspended regardless of the reason? It was a welcome to the Big Show hit, and 5 games is fine for a 92 mph fastball to the back. If it was to the head at 95+ mph then that'd be another thing.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Izenhart » Mon May 07, 2012 9:34 am

The message was:

"Welcome to the show jerk, this is what we do to people who showboat and act like you do"

Harper's response was

"You wanna see showboating how about I just steal home on your big dumb head. And I'll get a hit off you later. Jerk."

Hamel's quote is just him saying this is how he believes baseball is played. It's always been played that way, and it's a way that Hamels agrees with.

Suspensions are for when someone throws up and in. Hamels did it right, hitting him in the middle, then he got thrown at himself (Hey this isn't American League baseball where you don't have to face the music later). Personally, I don't believe a suspension is in order. Whatever happened in game was dealt with by the umpires and there were no ejections.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 293)

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon May 07, 2012 9:43 am

I don't think Hamels should get suspended. Hamels drilled Harper, then Zimmermann drilled Hamels, everyone is even. There's no need for MLB to overreact and hand out stupid suspensions.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon May 07, 2012 9:51 am

this is what Hamels said.
It’s something I grew up watching. That’s what happened. I’m just trying to continue the old baseball. Some people get away from it.

read between the lines. Hamels doesn't like the showboating.
no pitcher should take a baseball and intentionally throw and hit a player on purpose regardless of where it hits the player. and if they do, they should be punished for it.
how often does a pitcher admit to hitting a player? even when it's obvious they still deny it. admitting it shouldn't mean the pitcher should not be suspended. that would be like a kid admitting to his/her parents they did something wrong and thinking they're not going to be punished. but mommy and daddy I told the truth you can't punish me. bullshit.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby ayebatter » Mon May 07, 2012 10:02 am

Grounded Polo wrote:I don't think Hamels should get suspended. Hamels drilled Harper, then Zimmermann drilled Hamels, everyone is even. There's no need for MLB to overreact and hand out stupid suspensions.

This
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1358)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers