Strasburg for Pedroia? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Strasburg for Pedroia?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Strasburg for Pedroia?

Postby jovenparque » Sun May 06, 2012 2:10 am

thanks for your help.

let me get this straight. i was at first going to say that losing strasburg, despite his innings cap, might be a really big blow to your pitching, especially in a shallow league. but does points league mean that it doesn't matter where your pointing are coming from? you just add the total (from both off and pit) at the end of the week and the higher number wins? if so then pedroia might provide more value because he won't be shut down (he could be injured).
jovenparque
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wazzeus » Sun May 06, 2012 2:11 am

Honestly, I think your pitching is a little weak even with Strasburg, so it really takes a hit if you trade him. I'd try to make an additional deal with another team that nets you a plus replacement arm, but yeah, especially in a non-keeper league, five months of Pedroia is preferable to three and a half more months of Strasburg.

If you're doing really well in hitting already, though, I'd think hard about this.

Thanks for helping with mine.
wazzeus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby jackie hayes » Sun May 06, 2012 2:17 am

I actually don't know how it would work out, but you're right, starters are more important -- because they can be shuttled in on start days and then moved out, while hitters just waste points on the bench. Figure out your projection for Strasburg, Pedroia, Hill, and the best starter still on the wire. (An average projection, not upside. And remembering that Strasburg may have an innings limit, you should tack on some 'average pitcher' innings to his, since you'll drop him for someone else if he gets shut down.) Then see if the gain you get from switching from Hill to Pedroia is greater than what you get from Strasburg over the best pitcher you can pick up. (Sorry -- too much work for me. This is why it's always tough giving advice on points leagues.)

I'd look to trade a hitter for a starter, regardless. Whoever suggested shopping Davis, I agree, that'd be the first one I'd try. Pence and Ramirez should be fine in the util slot.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 274)

Postby kaiser » Sun May 06, 2012 8:27 am

Gotta join the chorus and say yes, you take Pedroia over Stras. It's a nice deal for you.

Thanks for your help.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 442)

Postby billycent » Sun May 06, 2012 3:18 pm

Def taking Pedroia here, and ur pitching will still look nice post trade. Thnx for the help on mine.
billycent
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Martain » Sun May 06, 2012 10:59 pm

I would do it...you have good pitching behind Strasburg, and Matt Moore will come around soon, but with no innings limit.

I do think that innings limit will be a little bit more lenient if the Nats stay in contention...they aren't going to go all of September without their ace.
Martain
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 31)

Postby miraclemetman69 » Sun May 06, 2012 11:08 pm

no brainer. there will be an innings limit and pedroia hasnt hit his stride yet. i think strausberg is a huge injury risk too. pedroia would be a huge upgrade to your lineup.

mine:
viewtopic.php?t=446239
miraclemetman69
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby LittleTree » Mon May 07, 2012 10:01 am

Thanks for your help on mine. I agreed and ended up pulling the trigger on the trade.

As for yours, I agree that this is a tough decision. The past few years I have not wanted Big Papi on my team because I believed he was due for a huge letdown (it almost happened a few a years but he pulled out of it). However, every year Ortiz always seems to end up with pretty good numbers. I may be a little biased because I am always expecting him to have a steep dropoff but he keeps proving me wrong and he is having a great start to this season. I tend to fall on the other side of the argument for Lincecum. This is the second bad start in 3 years but he figured things out two years ago and I expect he will again this season. The only problem is that with his crazy throwing motion everybody has been waiting for him to go downhill. The bottom line is I tend to believe Lincecum will make adjustments and be really good again, but I also believe that Ortiz may have another good year this season. Since you have a pretty good pitching lineup even without Lincecum, if I were you, I would give Lincecum 3 more starts and then trade him either way, either for Ortiz, but if those 3 starts show a rebound, you may be able to get something even better. Hope this helps.
LittleTree
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 38)

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions