Jordan Walden or Scott Downs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Jordan Walden or Scott Downs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jordan Walden or Scott Downs

Postby Kimbos Beard » Sat May 05, 2012 8:09 am

12 team 5x5 roto league. I currently am carrying both Walden and Downs, but its been frustrating seeing that Walden has pitched one inning since being "demoted", so there doesn't seem to be a clear plan here. Cashner is available in the free agent pool. Should I drop one of these two to grab him or keep riding out this handicap situation which hasn't produced much for me.

I always WHIR, leave a link.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jordan Walden or Scott Downs

Postby friedrich15 » Sat May 05, 2012 8:18 am

i am in the exact same position as you ....i own walden and downs and man its frustrating..i think it too early to drop walden ..he had a pretty short leash this year and i dont know why he was demoted after one blown save. im gonna keep both for a bit longer..i was able to drop someone else and grab cashner...but i havent read he is def him to get saves ..would be it be gregerson? ...espn closer chart has gregerson as next in line and rotoworld is saying cashner
friedrich15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 39)

Postby Kimbos Beard » Sat May 05, 2012 8:41 am

Yeah, it is frustrating, especially since Walden has pitched once in the last 8 days, so he is essentially doing and giving us nothing.

I think Cashner has the slight edge in getting the job. Rotoworld went with Cashner and Scott Pianowski, the Yahoo writer who is usually pretty good when it comes to closers is leaning towards Cashner.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby wazzeus » Sat May 05, 2012 8:51 am

I think there's a greater chance of Downs running away with the job or the Angels trading for another closer (or promoting Frieri) than there is of Walden closing again this season. Including last season's performance, Walden has yet to show he can be consistent in the ninth, and LA doesn't figure to have much patience in a World Series-or-bust year. I lean Downs, but not heavily.
wazzeus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby osbtensor » Sat May 05, 2012 9:11 am

I would definitely keep downs.. drop walden and pickup cashner. I don't think the angels are going to let walden have any more chances to blow saves. the only way I see this happening is if by some miracle he turns into a lights out pitcher in his relief appearances. then they might let him try again, but that's very iffy with the addition of feiri (sp?). I don't know that cashner will have the closer position for long, but I think he'll have it for at least a few weeks, if not longer, and he will be more valuable.
osbtensor
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby brianrapp » Mon May 07, 2012 1:01 am

Seriously.. just pick up a random reliever you've never heard of... There's a good chance he'll be closing at some point this year.
brianrapp
College Coach
College Coach

Postby smoovethug » Mon May 07, 2012 1:37 am

Downs getting hurt today doesn't help your cause. It may actually open up a crack for Walden to sneak back into save opps if Downs and Hawkins are gone for a long period of time. If u can wait to hear the timetable on Downs, do so, if not drop Walden.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions