Zumaya was a sign of things to come - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Zumaya was a sign of things to come

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Zumaya was a sign of things to come

Postby Izenhart » Sat May 05, 2012 4:19 am

It's really amazing how many players are hurt right now. In every league I am in my DL slots are full and I find myself dropping guys I normally would wait on like Hudson, Santos and Reimold.

Healthy bodies are getting hard to find these days. I know that's a quote from some vampire novel.

Is it me or does it seem like every year there are more players get hurt more frequently? Seems like the only two seasons the Red Sox were healthy in recent memory were the two years they won the series.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 294)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Zumaya was a sign of things to come

Postby Sticky Spice » Sat May 05, 2012 11:07 am

IDK about total injuries, but Tommy John seems to almost be a rite of passage now. I actually feel nervous about having a young pitcher until they have the surgery... then I feel relief as though it couldn't happen again (which obviously it could). It's almost like, "okay, now that's out of the way - he can get on with his career." I've tried to stop drafting pitchers in our farm draft altogether.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)

Postby BigZ38 » Sun May 06, 2012 4:59 pm

Izenhart wrote:It's really amazing how many players are hurt right now. In every league I am in my DL slots are full and I find myself dropping guys I normally would wait on like Hudson, Santos and Reimold.

Healthy bodies are getting hard to find these days. I know that's a quote from some vampire novel.

Is it me or does it seem like every year there are more players get hurt more frequently? Seems like the only two seasons the Red Sox were healthy in recent memory were the two years they won the series.

I think the dollar amount that these guys make, that any little tiny potential injury they feel like they have or may have, they choose to shut it down than risk it becoming bigger and costing the $$$$.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby jfg » Tue May 08, 2012 12:49 am

Tommy John surgery is a rite of passage and it's the biggest reason why it's so easy to tell that juicing is still very much a part of the game. Muscles grow too fast, ligaments can't keep up and tear. I wonder if the Rangers who have taken a hard stance against pitch counts are making it their business to keep their pitchers clean as well.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Return to Baseball Leftovers