Mariano Rivera has torn ACL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mariano Rivera has torn ACL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Mariano Rivera has torn ACL

Postby MashinSpuds » Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am

You guys are a bunch of romantics. This thread reads like an ESPN tribute that is a little heavy on the schmaltz. Junior Seau's story reverberates with me more than Rivera's, who still has a choice to make. It's not over yet, so no crying.

I do appreciate Neato's contrarian view, but I do think Rivera gets in on the first ballot. He's a rare modern talent and he added the intimidation to the intimidating Yankees.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CharlatanSin » Fri May 04, 2012 8:29 am

MashinSpuds wrote:Junior Seau's story reverberates with me more than Rivera's, who still has a choice to make. It's not over yet, so no crying.

I think that's an inappropriate comparison to make.
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MashinSpuds » Fri May 04, 2012 8:37 am

CharlatanSin wrote:
MashinSpuds wrote:Junior Seau's story reverberates with me more than Rivera's, who still has a choice to make. It's not over yet, so no crying.

I disagree. If this happened in a different week, I might be joining you guys about Rivera's departure. But Seau overshadows this easily, so Rivera is more of a footnote to the week for me. Maybe I'll be reminiscing about Rivera next year, but not now.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri May 04, 2012 9:15 am

MashinSpuds wrote:
CharlatanSin wrote:

I disagree. If this happened in a different week, I might be joining you guys about Rivera's departure. But Seau overshadows this easily, so Rivera is more of a footnote to the week for me. Maybe I'll be reminiscing about Rivera next year, but not now.

No one said you have to reminisce about Mariano, and no one is comparing this to the Seau tragedy. I didn't realize the two stories were mutually exclusive and we're only allowed to focus on one. :-?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby MashinSpuds » Fri May 04, 2012 9:26 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
MashinSpuds wrote:
CharlatanSin wrote:

No one said you have to reminisce about Mariano, and no one is comparing this to the Seau tragedy. I didn't realize the two stories were mutually exclusive and we're only allowed to focus on one. :-?

Neither did I. (shrug) I stated where I stood in my initial post but CharlatinSin's reply seemed to insist on further explanation. You guys can continue to wax nostalgic over Rivera if you wish. It's just overshadowed and the 'woe is sports' chatter here doesn't seem to strike as hard as it could've a week ago in my opinion. Carry on.
Last edited by MashinSpuds on Fri May 04, 2012 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pmstick » Fri May 04, 2012 9:28 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:I'm sorry but Mo is definitely not worth it to be the first 100% vote. Best reliever of all time but also a failed starter. First ballot HOF for sure but let's not get carried away.

Michael Jordan didn't make his HS basketball team so he can forget being a first ballot HHOFer right?

Mariano's automatic as a closer and gets in without a doubt on the first try and I hate him and the f'n Yankees. Gotta respect what he's done for years and years and years tho.
12 Team H2H

C Posey (1B)
1B Butler
2B Pedroia
SS Andrus
3B Prado (2B, OF)
OF Harper, Heyward, Craig (1B)
UTL Jennings
SP Darvish, Latos, Cobb, Moore
RP Balfour

B Burnett, Ross, Wood, Dickey, Porcello, Kennedy
B Eaton

DL Holland+
pmstick
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri May 04, 2012 9:35 am

MashinSpuds wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
MashinSpuds wrote:I disagree. If this happened in a different week, I might be joining you guys about Rivera's departure. But Seau overshadows this easily, so Rivera is more of a footnote to the week for me. Maybe I'll be reminiscing about Rivera next year, but not now.

Neither did I. (shrug) I stated where I stood in my initial post but CharlatinSin's reply seemed to insist on further explanation. You guys can continue to wax nostalgic over Rivera if you wish. It's just overshadowed and the 'woe is sports' chatter here doesn't seem to strike as hard as it could've a week ago in my opinion. Carry on.

Seau is a suicide story. It has ties to football obviously because that's where he made his living, but it's a story that reaches beyond the confines of sport. Horrible stuff happens in the world every single day. I could just as easily say that the Seau story doesn't really strike me as important when you think of all the military servicemen who have died this week, or all those who have died from hunger or whatever else. Of course Rivera tearing his ACL isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. But neither are sports in general, so should we never discuss them? That's all I'm saying. I think everyone in here has enough perspective to understand this isn't a life or death situation, but it is sad, especially for people who grew up watching this guy and were hoping to see him end his career on his own terms.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby MashinSpuds » Fri May 04, 2012 9:43 am

Well, I compared sports to sports, so it's a valid comparison and, again, I'm just stating how I feel. This is a thread where people share their opinions, I shared mine. I'm reserving my sympathies for Seau for now, Rivera for later when he makes an announcement. I did ping on the outpouring of sadness for Rivera, for he hasn't declared he's done as of yet. People are saying the sky is falling when it just looks unstable.

And of course, servicemen win out every day. There is no comparison to them.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GAC8666 » Fri May 04, 2012 9:52 am

This was hard to watch last night. Hate to see it for any athlete. I hope he comes back.. Im not a Yankees fan but no HOF should go down shagging balls during BP.
GAC8666
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri May 04, 2012 1:11 pm

hey, at least he didn't tear his youkilis :-D
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye