Mariano Rivera has torn ACL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mariano Rivera has torn ACL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Mariano Rivera has torn ACL

Postby Izenhart » Fri May 04, 2012 1:59 am

Well so much for ever getting to see the greatest closer of all time "slowly decline into mediocrity" like everyone kept saying he would. The guy was a stud from start to finish. Hats off to him if he hangs them up. I doubt we will ever in our lifetime see a more consistently dominant and reliable closer.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 299)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AussieDodger » Fri May 04, 2012 2:16 am

This is sad, but the silver lining is, he went out at the top of his game.

This is better (in my opinion) then taking the Griffey route, losing your skills completely and going to sleep in the clubhouse while fans (mentally at least) burn your effigy.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby Izenhart » Fri May 04, 2012 2:37 am

AussieDodger wrote:This is sad, but the silver lining is, he went out at the top of his game.

This is better (in my opinion) then taking the Griffey route, losing your skills completely and going to sleep in the clubhouse while fans (mentally at least) burn your effigy.

When I was a kid, about 5 years old, my soccer coach stuck me at goalie cuz I was fat and slow. The ball was over the other side of the field for like ever and I got bored so I lied down and took a nap. "I was gonna get up when they got close but I forgot to open my eyes!" is what I told him. OMG the trauma :~(
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 299)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Fri May 04, 2012 3:54 am

He was talking about retiring at the end of this year and said he would make a decision by the AS break. He should have gone out on his terms ideally with another ring. While the crummy Yankee starting pitching, homer and K happy offense and stupid as the day is long GM have made the prospect of winning a ring not look so great, Rivera was still dominant. There will never be another like him. Or if there is, it will take a century. Closers have a hard time playing well for 5 years. Rivera has done it for 15+ and showed no real signs of slowing down much. His post season numbers are the stuff of a video game...simply out of this world. Truly one of the greats of all time and if this is the end the HOF should just waive the 5 year waiting period requirement and polish up his plaque right now. If he is not a 100% first ballot vote in something is seriously wrong and any writer not voting for him should be stripped of his credentials.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 758)

Postby Ender » Fri May 04, 2012 4:23 am

Truly one of the greats of all time and if this is the end the HOF should just waive the 5 year waiting period requirement and polish up his plaque right now. If he is not a 100% first ballot vote in something is seriously wrong and any writer not voting for him should be stripped of his credentials.

You would think between Maddux and Rivera someone would finally be a unanimous selection but there is always the idiot voter who insists on not voting for guys on the first ballot who should lose his vote for it that will much it up.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri May 04, 2012 4:35 am

I'm sorry but Mo is definitely not worth it to be the first 100% vote. Best reliever of all time but also a failed starter. First ballot HOF for sure but let's not get carried away.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

I'm sorry but Mo is definitely not worth it to be the first 100% vote. Best reliever of all time but also a failed starter. First ballot HOF for sure but let's not get carried away.

Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri May 04, 2012 5:15 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:I'm sorry but Mo is definitely not worth it to be the first 100% vote. Best reliever of all time but also a failed starter. First ballot HOF for sure but let's not get carried away.

This is garbage. You're either a HOFer or you're not. You're telling me you'd leave him off your ballot on principle because God forbid he gets a higher percentage vote than someone else?

This mindset is a big part of the reason why the HOF is such a joke. 100% or 0%, Rivera is the greatest relief pitcher this game has ever seen. Nothing changes that. I hope he decides to make one more run at it next year so he can go out on his terms. But if that's truly it, I thank him for all he's done. Truly remarkable career.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby CharlatanSin » Fri May 04, 2012 7:18 am

This is literally unbelievable. I do not believe it.

I thought it was inevitable that the last game this year would be Mariano saving a win for Pettitte, one last time. It seemed like destiny.

Jeter's obviously a Hall of Famer. Pettitte, O'Neill, Bernie, Tino and Coney are Yankee legends and were amazing to watch growing up. But with Mariano Rivera, you can actually say without a doubt that he is the best EVER to do the thing he does. That's amazing and something you'll keep always.
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers