Allen Craig - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Allen Craig

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Allen Craig

Postby jealousblues » Thu May 03, 2012 3:15 am

What do you guys think?

In yahoo he has OF and 2b eligibility and will probably get 1B this year as well.
Very solid hitter
Berkman said last year that he could be a clean up hitter for a team some day and he has done nothing but hit.
He just came back from offseason knee surgery and was hitting well on his rehab stint (I know he had one 2HR game).

When Berkman comes back you have to think he will only be a part time player but they will work him in quite a bit.

Id really LOVE to find space for him on my team
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Allen Craig

Postby wazzeus » Thu May 03, 2012 3:23 am

Heck, he's a part-timer NOW -- even with Berkman on the DL.

Going forward, it's hard to envision a path to playing time that allows for more than three or four starts a week. I doubt they'll use him at second very much given his knee issues, and all three outfield positions are locked down. Last year, he sat often against righties, and that doesn't figure to change.

Barring an injury in the outfield, I just don't see Craig returning much value.
wazzeus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J35J » Thu May 03, 2012 7:41 am

wazzeus wrote:Heck, he's a part-timer NOW -- even with Berkman on the DL.

Going forward, it's hard to envision a path to playing time that allows for more than three or four starts a week. I doubt they'll use him at second very much given his knee issues, and all three outfield positions are locked down. Last year, he sat often against righties, and that doesn't figure to change.

Barring an injury in the outfield, I just don't see Craig returning much value.

Once he gets his feet under him and there doesn't seem to be any lingering issues I'd be surprised if he doesn't get ABs in 4 out of every 5 games. He's a very solid hitter and will get plenty of playing time as he can play multiple positions. They won't keep his bat out of the lineup.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby Ender » Thu May 03, 2012 8:52 am

I like him in a daily league but I don't think he'll play enough for a weekly league unless it is really deep.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu May 03, 2012 10:46 am

Matheny said they are going to take it easy with him and give him lots of rest. I would imagine that means starting 2 out 3 games a series.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

Postby bayside » Thu May 03, 2012 11:31 pm

I love him as a bench player. His 2b/OF flexibilty is nice even if he only starts 5 games a week.
At the very least you can count on him starting vs all lefties + a couple other games per week, and he very likely can become a fixture in the top half of that potent lineup.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby juliown1028 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:50 am

What happens to Craig when Berkman gets back? Of course it probably isn't about a month or so til Berkman gets back but I've been reading things that Berkman is progressing pretty well.

Craig's currently manning 1B with Jay, Beltran, Holliday in the OF. There's no way they take out Beltran or Holliday, and there's no way they move Beltran to CF with his injury risks, right? And there's no way they move Craig back to 2nd with his lack of skill there and injury risk as well.

Craig has been mashing the ball way too much to be taken out and he's been the 3rd best hitter on the Cards, probably the best hitter if you did it by per game stats.
"Chuck Norris has been known to throw a baseball 100 mph. I've been known to throw Chuck Norris 100 mph." - Brian Wilson
juliown1028
College Coach
College Coach

Postby benb18a » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:12 am

It will be interesting, that's for sure. Over the last two weeks, three have hit more homers, more RBI, and two have scored more runs than Craig on my team. I just can't bench him, even with guys like Harper and Freeman making me pay on my bench. But like you said, with their team coming back down to Earth, sitting Craig is the last thing they'd do. They will find a way to get him his 5-6 starts a week.
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Norby » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:35 am

They probably will just rotate everyone. Maybe 1 day a week Beltran plays CF and Craig plays RF. Another day, Craig plays RF while Beltran sits. Yet another day, Craig plays 1B spelling Berkman. It's possible that Craig even spells Holliday every once in awhile. They will try hard to get all of those guys 5-6 games per week (with Berkman maybe getting 4 or so depending on his health).
Norby
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby J35J » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:32 am

No thought of a trade anywhere? Then again so many of those guys are injury prone they might just keep them all just in case someone goes down again...
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers