Five Bull@#$% traditions that annoy me about Baseball. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Five Bull@#$% traditions that annoy me about Baseball.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Five Bull@#$% traditions that annoy me about Baseball.

Postby NZ Eff » Wed May 02, 2012 2:40 am

1. What's the big deal about hitting for the cycle? Sure, you have 4 hits in a game but that's it. The way commentators / journalists go on about it you would think it is the best thing since sliced bread. The joke of it all is that hitting a HR, triple, double and single in the same game is given more credit than someone that hits a HR, triple and two doubles. Bull@#$%.

2. Inconsistencies scoring hits / errors when a outfielder loses the ball in the sun / night sky. Nyjer Morgan loses one in the night sky during a Shaun Marcum start early in the season against the Cubbies that should have been right down his throat. It gets scored as a triple to Soto and results in a hit against Marcum and ultimately an earned run. Tori Hunter loses a ball in the sun at the last moment against the Indians on Sunday with Cabrera batting that results in 2 runs and it goes as an error against Hunter and an out for the hitter.
These things appear to be at the discretion of the official match scorer. Bull@#$%. Get some consistency here.

3. What is the difference between a foul tip and a foul ball caught by the catcher? Nothing, yet with a foul tip u get two strike lives and on the third you are struck out. Bull@#$%. A foul tip no matter the hitters count should be an automatic out. Fouled out.

4. Not stealing a base when your team is leading by over 5-6 runs. Why not, because you are showing the opposition up. Bull@#$%. Teams come back from 5-6 runs down all the time. Just a ridiculous tradition.

5. Flipping your bat or celebrating a home run in a manner that shows up the opposition pitcher. This usually results in a plunking later in the game or the next day. Bull@#$%. Let them celebrate. This isn't ok but the ridiculous hopping up and down celebrating that ALWAYS greets the walk off guy is ok. That walk off celebrating is nauseating. Especially by a 65-97 team in late September.

I'm done.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Five Bull@#$% traditions that annoy me about Baseball.

Postby smoovethug » Wed May 02, 2012 2:48 am

Agreed with 2 and 5. You could group the defensive indifference instead of stolen base late in games and down by multiple runs with #4 as well.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Weasel_King » Wed May 02, 2012 2:51 am

NZ Eff wrote:1. What's the big deal about hitting for the cycle? Sure, you have 4 hits in a game but that's it. The way commentators / journalists go on about it you would think it is the best thing since sliced bread. The joke of it all is that hitting a HR, triple, double and single in the same game is given more credit than someone that hits a HR, triple and two doubles. Bull@#$%.

Agree with this 100%. Reason for the celebration is because of how infrequent that this occurs, but it is still kind of ridiculous that it is considered "worse" to hit 2 HR's/double/single for example than hitting for they cycle.
Weasel_King
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Skin Blues » Wed May 02, 2012 3:01 am

1. I dunno why. Fans typically like nice round numbers like 100 RBI and hitting for the cycle and batting .300 versus having 7.3 WAR, a gamescore of 93, or stuff like that.
2. Typically if the ball hits the fielder, it's an error. If they completely miss it, it's a hit. Doesn't make much sense but it's semi-consistent.
3. I don't think foul tips should be outs... maybe I'm just used to the rule.
4. I agree. Same "unwritten rule" is used in the league I play in, and it's annoying. Even taking a base on a passed ball is met with a handful of "why are you running up the score, you jerks?!" followed by a plunking
5. Any retaliatory plunking is stupid, in my opinion. But if there was no disdain for it then the celebrations would get a lot worse. Like the NFL.

One thing I'll add is the check-swing "rule". It's supposed to be an attempt to hit the ball is called a swing. But announcers and even umpires treat it as if there's a magical angle of the bat, or threshold parallel with the plate that should decide if it was a swing. So you get some guy bailing out of the way of a fastball at his chin and they call it a swing because when his body turned the bat crossed home plate. Or an obvious swing is called a ball because of the angle of the bat.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 134)

Postby NZ Eff » Wed May 02, 2012 3:07 am

You don't know why :-? So you think hitting a HR, triple, double and single in the same game is a greater achievement than hitting a HR, triple and two doubles?

And don't even get me started on the check swing %-6
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AussieDodger » Wed May 02, 2012 3:14 am

As long as people aren't "haw haw-ing" the opposition, let them celebrate.

HOORAY FOR ME! = good
LOL U SUCXORS = bad
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Skin Blues » Wed May 02, 2012 3:16 am

NZ Eff wrote:You don't know why :-? So you think hitting a HR, triple, double and single in the same game is a greater achievement than hitting a HR, triple and two doubles?

I meant I don't know why people make such a big deal about it... so no, I don't think it's a greater achievement. I don't know what I said that made you think otherwise.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 134)

Postby NZ Eff » Wed May 02, 2012 3:25 am

Skin Blues wrote:
NZ Eff wrote:You don't know why :-? So you think hitting a HR, triple, double and single in the same game is a greater achievement than hitting a HR, triple and two doubles?

I meant I don't know why people make such a big deal about it... so no, I don't think it's a greater achievement. I don't know what I said that made you think otherwise.

Got it. Thought you meant I don't know why it would annoy you.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Padsin05 » Wed May 02, 2012 5:39 am

a foul tip has to go above the catchers head to be considered a foul ball. Thats a good rule, imo why should a batter be penalized more for making contact with a pitch rather then swinging thru it
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 13)

Postby NZ Eff » Wed May 02, 2012 7:00 am

Padsin05 wrote:a foul tip has to go above the catchers head to be considered a foul ball. Thats a good rule, imo why should a batter be penalized more for making contact with a pitch rather then swinging thru it

If the hitter makes contact with a ball and it is caught by the catcher without hitting the ground in foul territory then he is out. He doesn't get another chance. Why should he get another chance with a foul tip? It makes no sense, he has been caught out.
Even less sense is the batsmen striking out when he does make contact with the ball. How can that be a strike out? Bull@#$%.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers