JJ or Jaime? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

JJ or Jaime?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

JJ or Jaime?

Postby Fantasy GM » Wed May 02, 2012 12:03 am

I am in a 12-team H2H points league. Consistent, ace SP's are valuable, but you still need a solid offense (and production from the relievers) to win. My team is off to a good start overall, but my offense - led by Albert - hasn't really shown up. In an attempt to jumpstart my offense, I am discussing the following trade with another team:

I get: 2B Kinsler, SP Nolasco, RP H. Rodriguez

I give: 2B Ackley, SP J. Johnson/Jaime, RP Valverde.

Kinsler is a major improvement offensively, Valverde is the better reliever in the trade (I also have M. Rivera, so my pen isn't in shambles). The question would be, which SP should I send? The other owner says he will surely accept if Jaime is in the deal, but iffy if Johnson is involved.

With this in mind, who is the better SP? At first glance, Jaime is more durable, can routinely go 7 IP and has been the better SP so far. Upon digging into JJ's poor-ish start (and his obvious injury risk), I discovered the following:
- 37 of the 41 hits he has allowed have been singles (several weakly-hit ones). The other four were doubles.
- For those of you into deeper statistics: His BABIP is currently .436 (insanely unlucky - .300 is the mean). Additionally, he has a 5.34 ERA but a 2.15 FIP! I'm not sure how that's even possible. He has to be the unluckiest SP in the league right now.

So, who would you rather hold onto? Bigger picture: should I even do this trade? Or let my offense of Ramos/Pujols/Ackley/Lawrie/Jeter/N. Cruz/Adam Jones/Ethier/Trout (UTL) hit its way out of their collective slump?
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: JJ or Jaime?

Postby kirch5 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:12 am

Do it! Give up Jaime if he wants him. Yes he is consistent but JJ is coming back and starting to get a feel for it.

Kinsler is 3-4 times better than Ackley this year in the HR/SB cats and will have more RBI and R...may lose out on avg but only by a few points.

Make the move. Send him both offers and let him pick! Then you can have a clear conscience (sp)

help me?

viewtopic.php?t=445794
kirch5
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Fantasy GM » Wed May 02, 2012 12:32 am

kirch5 wrote:Do it! Give up Jaime if he wants him. Yes he is consistent but JJ is coming back and starting to get a feel for it.

Kinsler is 3-4 times better than Ackley this year in the HR/SB cats and will have more RBI and R...may lose out on avg but only by a few points.

Haha thanks. Just a FYI, it's a points league, so no categories. You are correct though; in any format, Kinsler is a lot better. It's just a matter of which SP I would send.
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kirch5 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:42 am

Fantasy GM wrote:
kirch5 wrote:Do it! Give up Jaime if he wants him. Yes he is consistent but JJ is coming back and starting to get a feel for it.

Haha thanks. Just a FYI, it's a points league, so no categories. You are correct though; in any format, Kinsler is a lot better. It's just a matter of which SP I would send.

Oh yep, sorry I guess I missed that when I read it. Like I said, offer 2 deals and let him choose. Then he has not excuse for not taking it.

I think you will be fine with either.
kirch5
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby smoovethug » Wed May 02, 2012 2:39 am

I didn't do the digging but you sold me on keeping JJ.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby rjforlife » Wed May 02, 2012 7:02 am

Id rather have Jaime. He plays on a better team, he's a bit more consistent, and he pitches every 5th day for the whole season. I wouldn't trust JJ to throw the garbage into the dumpster without getting injured. It's really close though, so either way get that deal done.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 771)

Postby Fantasy GM » Wed May 02, 2012 12:34 pm

Split jury...hmmm....

I just wanted to throw a couple of little things relating to this deal:
-I likely have my choice of the following: Nolasco, Billingsley, Chacin, AJ Burnett, maybe Detwiler. Nolasco was the first name mentioned, but I did some research and he might be a problem the rest of the way. Billingsley is also a headcase though the ERA is usually lower. Chacin should be the best of the group but looks terrible. AJ is always going to be a risk.

-The way our league does its scoring, ace/top starting SP's score the most, but you still need a solid offense and a pulse in the bullpen to win. Hitters are usually more consistent on a weekly basis.
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MaudDib » Wed May 02, 2012 5:32 pm

rjforlife wrote:Id rather have Jaime. He plays on a better team, he's a bit more consistent, and he pitches every 5th day for the whole season. I wouldn't trust JJ to throw the garbage into the dumpster without getting injured. It's really close though, so either way get that deal done.

Agreed. I don't think JJ will stay healthy all year. I really like Jamie though. As for who to get back, I think Nolasco is your best option though I am not high on any of them.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions