Have things in Fantasy Baseball just become messed up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Have things in Fantasy Baseball just become messed up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Have things in Fantasy Baseball just become messed up?

Postby SecretAgentMan » Tue May 01, 2012 1:01 am

OK..some observations and I want to know whether it is just me or whether others have seen the same thing.

I have been playing this game for a long time. Have people observed the following the past few years:

1. Pitching may win pennants, but hitting wins fantasy championships.
The past: Pitching was chaotic and unpredictable year to year. Hitting was far more stable. Good owners drafted the hitting as a priority.
The present: Post roids and amphetamines, hitting is just as if not more unpredictable than pitching now. A number of guys on the pitching side have come on to the scene, while mainstay hitters like Crawford, Pujols etc. can't be relied upon. HRs are down. Avg is down. Hitters K's are ridiculous. ERA is way down.

2. Injuries are becoming more common place.
The past: When I was a kid, there were hamstring and groin injuries as the main\common problems.
The present: Now we see guys out with oblique injuries, buttocks injuries, lat injuries, etc. Guys miss weeks for hang nails it seems.

3. Closers: You may as well use a magic-8 ball.
The past: They were unreliable at best but there was usually a half dozen to a dozen or so that were money in the bank\safe.
The present: Some ludicrous number lose their job each year. The only really reliable one is Rivera.

4. To win a league, you need luck.
The past: To win a league you needed some luck with injuries, draft picks and working the wire. The good fantasy players usually rose to the top.
The present: To win a league, you need a LOT of luck. Skill is needed, but if some stiff in the first or second round doesn't get you, a bunch of injuries or some hideously bad closers will usually and cost you. As a result, fantasy owners that were not very good are now winning leagues or competing because of their just blind good luck vs. the bad luck of others.

Maybe it is just me, but in this post-roids, everyone swinging for the fences, no situational hitting era I do not know of any good strategy to employ when drafting. You just need to pick the best players and hope for divine inspiration and luck that they work out.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 767)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Have things in Fantasy Baseball just become messed up?

Postby NikkiSixx » Tue May 01, 2012 11:01 am

Things certainly have become a bit more unpredictable. I'm still not panicking over a lot my hitters not hitting the way I expect them to since its so early in the season. But when 3 or 4 of my stars start slumping it becomes a bit worrysome that all of them will turn it around... and maybe they will. I still use my first few picks on hitters with the exception of Cole Hamels in one league because I thought he fell too far. Baseball is always unpredictable, and with more pitchers rising to the top each year I find it easier to wait for them.

Things in fantasy baseball are certainly changing, so we just have to adjust our strategies accordingly.

This is a pretty good topic and I think its better suited for the baseball leftovers forum. Hopefully it gets moved so we can see more opinions on this.

It is only April, but year after year we are seeing more aces, and less hitting studs.

I'm hanging around the top in most of my leagues, only dominating one public league auction draft at this point. If guys like Hanley Ramirez, Justin Upton, Matt Holliday, Nelson Cruz, and Joey Votto get hot soon, then I should run away with the championship.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers